How fast does labetalol work?

Are you pregnant again after having preeclampsia once already in a previous pregnancy? Post your thoughts/concerns here - there are others who share your feelings. This is also the home of our Bedrest Buddies Support group.

How fast does labetalol work?

Postby javaj » Mon Jun 19, 2006 07:12 pm

I've been on bed rest with PIH for almost 3 weeks, and I just got put on labetalol today (100 mg, twice a day). Before today, my bed rest BPs stayed in the 130s-140s/80s range. Today my levels have been at high 150s-160s/low 100s. I just took my first dose of labetalol a couple of hours ago, no decrease yet.

How long before I should see a difference in BP levels?

Thanks!
Josette
javaj

Re : How fast does labetalol work?

Postby spoonzoo » Mon Jun 19, 2006 08:33 pm

It didn't start to show for me for almost a week unfortunately. Take care! I hope it's faster for you!!!!
spoonzoo

Postby sbartolini » Mon Jun 19, 2006 09:40 pm

I was put on labetalol after I gave birth to my son, while I was still in the hospital, but my pressures continued to be high for at least a week. I was sent home on a different medication and then bottomed out 3 days later. I think it takes a while to kick in.

Susan
sbartolini

Postby javaj » Mon Jun 19, 2006 10:16 pm

Thanks! At least I know that it isn't supposed to be instantaneous.
javaj

Postby spoonzoo » Tue Jun 20, 2006 10:37 am

And, with me it really wasn't a huge difference, but for the most part it's kept my pressures from going up even higher - so, keeping it steady has been good, since baby is tolerating it well!
spoonzoo

Postby javaj » Tue Jun 20, 2006 12:35 am

My readings are back to the levels that they were before they spiked yesterday (130s-low 140s/80s-low 90s). They have been that way since last night. I don't know whether that's the meds working or if yesterday's very high readings were just an anomaly. I'm supposed to call my OB tomorrow to let him know how things are going. Keeing my fingers crossed -- 21 more days til my scheduled c-section and I'd really like to make it!

javaj

Postby fnaz » Tue Jun 20, 2006 01:49 pm

Labetalol didn't work well with me too...My BP continued to be at higher side with labetalol for about 8 weeks after delivery ..then my PCP changed it to Norvasc .With norvasc ,BP improved but she is not sure to give me norvasc if i become pregnant again..Mostly doctors prefer to prescribe labtalol for pregnant ladies.
fnaz

Postby sweetiesuzy » Tue Jun 20, 2006 03:16 pm

The labatalol should really start working when you take it. The issue at hand, the way I see it, is that you are at the end of a pregnancy that has already started becoming hypertensive. You have been having some PIH and readings are creeping up. You are so close to your due date and your body has probably had enough at this point. Do you have chronic hypertension? If so, this upward trend will probably continue. The good news is that you can take quite a high dose of labatalol - under your providers direction of course. And you are so close to your due date that you could have your section at any time if needed. Keep on logging your pressures and call them in. I would guess your provider would like to know your readings every day.

Good luck and let us know how you are doing.

Hugs,
sweetiesuzy

Postby javaj » Tue Jun 20, 2006 05:48 pm

I don't have chronic hypertension (that I know of, anyway). High BP went away after my first pregnancy, and I had low/normal readings until week 32 with this pregnancy.
javaj

Return to Pregnant Again?