Post Reply FAQ Members Login

Recommended Pregnancy Diet

This section is for discussions with other women who have probably been through the same signs/symptoms that you may be experiencing. Please note, we cannot offer medical advice and encourage members to discuss their concerns with their doctors. New members, come on in and introduce yourself!

Recommended Pregnancy Diet

Postby annegarrett » Sat Jan 10, 2004 12:44 am

by annegarrett (2525 Posts), Sat Jan 10, 2004 12:44 am

According to the American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists (ACOG) the following is the recommended diet for pregnant women. The Preeclampsia Foundation does not endorse any diet and encourages all women (particularly those with special considerations such as diabetes and kidney disease) to consult their doctors before trying any diet that they read about either here, elsewhere on the web, or through word of mouth.

Fats, Oils and Sweets
Use Sparingly

"These foods are full of calories and have few vitamins or minerals. You should get no more than 30% of your daily calories from fat. Choose low-fat food as often as you can. Go easy on butter, margarine, salad dressing, and gravy, too. Save high-sugar foods such as candy, sweet desserts, and soft drinks for a special treat. Also keep in mind that sugar-free sodas and punches, gums, gelatins, desserts often contain artificial sweetener called saccharin. There are questions about saccharin's safety during pregnancy. But another artificial sweetener called aspartame is believed to be safe during pregnancy."

Milk, Yogurt, and Cheese
3 servings a day
"Dairy products are a major source of protein, calcium, phosphorus, and vitamins. Calcium is a key nutrient in pregnancy and during breastfeeding. If you don't like the taste of milk, eat dairy products such as yogurt, cottage cheese, or sliced cheese. Choose low-fat, skim, or part-skim items as often as you can. A serving equals:

1 cup of milk
1.5 oz of cheese"

Meat, Poultry, Fish, Dry Beans, Eggs, and Nuts
3 Servings or 6 oz a day

"This group provides B vitamins, protein, iron, and zinc. A fetus needs plenty of protein and iron to develop. Choose lean meats and trim off the fat and skin before cooking. One serving equals:

2-3 oz of cooked lean meat, poultry or fish
1 cup of cooked dry beans
1 egg
2 Tablespoons of peanut butter."

Vegetables
4 Servings

This group provides vitamins such as A and C and folic acid, and minerals such as iron and magnesium. Vegetables are low in fat and high in fiber. When you are planning your meals, choose a wide array of vegetables. This will help ensure that you get a variety of nutrients. Women who are worried about pesticides might want to think about buying organic. Pesticides can also be removed from fruit and vegetables by washing them with warm water and a small amount of soak and rinsing them. Eat a mixture of:

Dark-green leafy vegetables (spinach, romaine lettuce, broccoli)
Deep yellow or orange vegetables (carrots, sweet potatoes)
Starchy vegetables (potatoes, corn, peas)
Legumes (chick peas and navy, pinto, and kidney beans)
A serving equals:
1 cup of salad greens
1/2 cup of other cooked or raw vegetables
3/4 cup of vegetable juice:

Fruits
3 servings

This group provides vitamins A and C, potassium, and fiber. Choose fresh fruit, fruit juices, and frozen, canned or dried fruit. Eat plenty of citrus fruits, melons, and berries. Choose fruit juices instead of fruit drinks, which are mostly sugar. A serving equals:

1 medium apple, banana, or orange
1/2 cup chopped, cooked, or canned fruit
1/2 cup of fruit juice
1/4 cup of raisins or other dried fruit

Bread, Cereal, Rice and Pasta Group
6-11 Servings
This group provides complex carbohydrates (starches). These are a good source of energy, vitamins, minerals, and fiber. Choose whole-grain bread, as often as you can. Also look for food made with little fat or sugar. A serving equals:
1 slice of bread
1 oz of cold cereal
1/2 c cooked cereal, rice or pasta

Special note regarding protein:

Most women should eat 45 grams of protein a day. Pregnant women need 60 grams. Protein can come either from animal products (meat, poultry or dairy)" or soy or other beans. Women with underlying kidney disorders (a risk factor for preeclampsia) should not consume excess amounts of protein.

Source: Planning Your Pregnancy and Birth (3rd Edition)
The American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists
pages 112-131

FYI:

Where does the Weight Go?

The average newborn weighs in at about 7.5 #. Most women are advised to gain 25-35# when pregnant.

Here is where the weight goes:

Baby 7.5#
Amniotic Fluid 2#
Placenta 1.5#
Uterus 2#
Breasts 2#
Body Fluids 4#
Blood 4#
Maternal Stores of Fat, Protein and Other 7 #

Unusual weight gain accompanied by swelling may be a sign of preeclampsia. We strongly advise our women not to diet and particularly not to fast before appointments during pregnancy and to report any unusual weight gain to their physician.

Anne Garrett
Executive Director
Preeclampsia Foundation
annegarrett

Re : Recommended Pregnancy Diet

Postby annegarrett » Sat Jan 10, 2004 01:03 pm

by annegarrett (2525 Posts), Sat Jan 10, 2004 01:03 pm

There is a very good paper on nutrition and preeclampsia from data generated in the Preeclampsia Calcium Trial. Everyone in the trial completed a nutritional assessment which was recorded. At the end of the trial, the data was analyzed to see if any particular nutritional profile altered the risk of preeclampsia. No differences were found: neither dietary protein nor vitamin intake were associated with an increased risk for preeclampsia.

This study does not really address "mega dose" therapy of vitamins or protein. Brewer and the antioxidant advocates might assert that no one in the study took enough protein or antioxidants (vit C or E) to make a difference. Nevertheless, in a study this large, we should find some hint of effect. (see abstract below).

1: Am J Obstet Gynecol. 2001 Mar;184(4):643-51.
Related Articles, Links

Nutrient intake and hypertensive disorders of pregnancy: Evidence from a large prospective cohort.

Morris CD, Jacobson SL, Anand R, Ewell MG, Hauth JC, Curet LB, Catalano PM, Sibai BM (on PF Medical Board), Levine RJ.

Division of Medical Informatics and Outcomes Research, Oregon Health Sciences University, USA.

OBJECTIVE: The objective of this analysis was to prospectively determine the effects of nutrient intakes on the incidences of preeclampsia and pregnancy-associated hypertension among women enrolled in the Calcium for Preeclampsia Prevention study.

STUDY DESIGN: This was a prospective observational cohort study of women in a randomized clinical trial that included women seeking prenatal care at university medical centers and affiliated clinics and hospitals in 5 US communities. A total of 4589 nulliparous women were recruited between 13 and 21 weeks' gestation. Preeclampsia and pregnancy-associated hypertension were the main outcome measures.

RESULTS: Preeclampsia was noted in 326 (7.6%) of the 4314 women with known pregnancy outcomes followed up until > or =20 weeks' gestation, and pregnancy-associated hypertension was noted in 747 (17.3%). As previously reported, there was no significant difference in these outcomes between cohorts randomly assigned to supplementation with calcium or placebo. By means of logistic regression a baseline risk model was constructed for preeclampsia and pregnancy-associated hypertension. After adjustment for treatment and clinical site, body mass index >26 kg/m(2) and race were significantly associated with an increased risk of preeclampsia. Body mass index > or =35 kg/m(2), race, and never smoking were significantly associated with an increased risk of pregnancy-associated hypertension. After adjustment for baseline risks, none of the 28 nutritional factors analyzed were significantly related to either preeclampsia or pregnancy-associated hypertension.

CONCLUSION: We found no evidence in this study for a significant association of hypertensive disorders of pregnancy with any of the 23 nutrients measured

Thomas R. Easterling, MD
President
Preeclampsia Foundation Medical Board

posted by Anne Garrett with permission
annegarrett

Postby mada » Mon May 17, 2004 01:08 pm

by mada (4081 Posts), Mon May 17, 2004 01:08 pm

Hey, If you ladies want some good recipes that are very nutritous check out "What to Eat when your Expecting."

Mada Harpster-pregnant again moderator

Sam 6-29-00 36weeks P.E.
Ben 11-03-01 No P.E.
mada

Postby amym » Mon May 17, 2004 07:05 pm

by amym (354 Posts), Mon May 17, 2004 07:05 pm

I find it odd that this diet does not include ANY whole grains. How can you get adequate fiber intake? I personally doubt that veggies and fruits cover all of your fiber needs. If I hear one more person mention a low-carb diet, I think I'm going to vomit.

Also, several studies have recognized the need for 3 servings of whole grains daily to prevent diabetes, and aren't women who get PE at risk for insulin resistance/diabetes later in life?

Amy (28)
DD Delaney, born at 37-1/2 weeks, PIH/IUGR

amy
amym

Postby mada » Tue May 18, 2004 07:17 am

by mada (4081 Posts), Tue May 18, 2004 07:17 am

I don't think that Anne was trying to relay a "low-carb" diet...These are just recommendations taken directly from "ACOG". Whole grains are a good thing to eat for sure.....In the above book I mentioned there are many recipes incorperating whole grains and veggies..ie zuccini bread.

Mada Harpster-pregnant again moderator

Sam 6-29-00 36weeks P.E.
Ben 11-03-01 No P.E.
mada

Postby annegarrett » Tue May 18, 2004 09:27 am

by annegarrett (2525 Posts), Tue May 18, 2004 09:27 am

Amy--you are so right--I accidentally omitted that. Thanks for catching that. I inserted it above.

Anne Garrett
Executive Director
Preeclampsia Foundation
annegarrett

Postby amym » Tue May 18, 2004 06:48 pm

by amym (354 Posts), Tue May 18, 2004 06:48 pm

Anne -- thanks for the correction. I am sorry if I came off as rude; I think I'm becoming a little annoyed by the low-carb craze to the point that I lose my temper!

A.

amy
amym

Postby annegarrett » Tue May 18, 2004 10:10 pm

by annegarrett (2525 Posts), Tue May 18, 2004 10:10 pm

I feel the same way--keep your fork OUT of my pasta, ***!

Anne Garrett
Executive Director
Preeclampsia Foundation
annegarrett

Return to Ask the Experienced