Outcomes of subsequent pregnancy

The Preeclampsia Foundation does not necessarily endorse any research or news found in this forum, we just want to share what is out there. Please use your own discretion to evaluate any information you find here.
two_tzu

Re : Outcomes of subsequent pregnancy

Postby two_tzu » Thu Nov 01, 637674 4:38 pm

Wow! That is good news, and timely for me, as I just lost Alex a month ago. Since then, I have been trying to learn all I can about what happened and what might happen again. Anyone have other recommendations for good discussions of chronic hypertension and reoccurance of PE (especially early onset) and HELLP?

catherine
Forum Moderator

Postby catherine » Sun Oct 21, 637674 9:22 pm

Tara, thank you.. as is exactly correct. I should also point out for folks that a hazard ratio of 1 implies absolutely no difference between groups.

taras mom

Postby taras mom » Sun Oct 21, 637674 12:12 am

quote:Originally posted by Catherine

The abstract suggests that the odds (hazard) ratio for chronic hypertensives is 2 which implies that a woman with chronic hypertension who experienced preeclampsia in her first pregnancy is 2 times more likely to experience a reoccurance than a woman who had similar problems with preeclampsia in her first pregnancy but who is not chronically hypertensive. The confidence intervals suggests that the risk ranges between 1.1x and 4.4x for 95% of all women who fit that discription.

Actually, an OR of 2 means that the woman with chronic hypertension is 2 times AS likely to have a recurrence as the one without, not 2 times MORE likely. (I need all the happy odds I can get!) But you're still every woman, Catherine.[8D]

catherine
Forum Moderator

Postby catherine » Thu Oct 11, 637674 7:25 pm

Actually Laura I'm far from everywoman.... Wiki just kicked my statistically flaccid butt. I'm informed by it that a hazard ratio is not the equivalent of an odds ratio, the math is different but the relationships, assuming that the population groups being compared differ only by the "hazard" remain the same. "Survival analysis?" What the *^##!@@!? I guess when you work with stuff that can't kill you, you don't need this fancy *** math.

laura

Postby laura » Thu Oct 11, 637674 5:55 pm

Dang, you're quick. You're every woman. Well, you and Oprah. Merci!

catherine
Forum Moderator

Postby catherine » Thu Oct 11, 637674 5:13 pm

The abstract suggests that the odds (hazard) ratio for chronic hypertensives is 2 which implies that a woman with chronic hypertension who experienced preeclampsia in her first pregnancy is 2 times AS* likely to experience a reoccurance than a woman who had similar problems with preeclampsia in her first pregnancy but who is not chronically hypertensive. The confidence intervals suggests that the risk ranges between 1.1x and 4.4x for 95% of all women who fit that discription.

*ETA see Carol (Tara's mom) below.

laura

Postby laura » Thu Oct 11, 637674 4:37 pm

THAT is the best news I have heard all day. I love it!

One quick question, Professor... is there any way of extrapolating the recurrence rate for chronic hypertensives?

caryn
Forum Moderator

Outcomes of subsequent pregnancy

Postby caryn » Thu Oct 11, 637674 12:18 pm

Outcomes of subsequent pregnancy after first pregnancy with early-onset preeclampsia

CONCLUSION: Outcomes of subsequent pregnancy after first pregnancy with early-onset preeclampsia is generally favorable...

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/quer ... med_docsum

Information provided on this site is provided for informational purposes only and is not meant to substitute for the advice provided by your own physician or other medical professional. You should not use the information contained herein for diagnosing or treating a health problem or disorder, or prescribing any medication. The Preeclampsia Foundation presents all data as is, without any warranty of any kind, express or implied, and is not liable for its accuracy, for mistakes or omissions of any kind, nor for any loss or damage caused by a user's reliance on information obtained on the site. Professional opinions on this condition vary greatly. The Preeclampsia Foundation endorses no one course of treatment or "cure".

Return to “Announcements and Preeclampsia in the News”