Post Reply FAQ Members Login

Pulse rate and bp/ high blood glucose too *sigh*

This section is for discussions with other women who have probably been through the same signs/symptoms that you may be experiencing. Please note, we cannot offer medical advice and encourage members to discuss their concerns with their doctors. New members, come on in and introduce yourself!

Pulse rate and bp/ high blood glucose too *sigh*

Postby khailibowen » Mon Sep 11, 2006 10:45 am

by khailibowen (123 Posts), Mon Sep 11, 2006 10:45 am

I had pre-e with my first child and am now 25wks preggers with #2. I have had problems with PIH the whole time, though most of the time it's not real bad. It tends to hoover in the 130's/80's. My OB says that this is probably just how things will be for me and that it's nothing to worry about. It does get higher from time to time and when that happens I restrict my own activities for a few days. Usually, when it does go up it's the top number that climbs real high, but I was told it's the bottom number we need to worry about. For example, it's been 160's over 90', the bottom number rarely goes over 100 and when it does I let my OB know. She says "I won't put you on bedrest yet, but it's coming". I check my bp at home a few times a day and see my OB every 2 wks.

My big question is about my pulse rate. It tends to be over 100 most of the time usually between 102-105. Dh says that is very high for just casual activity (sitting watching tv or playing puzzles etc with ds) but I don't really know what is normal and if it can be related to any of the problems I am having with PIH.

Any clue on the pulse thing or is it just one of those things that is normal that I'm getting paranoid about.
khailibowen

Re : Pulse rate and bp/ high blood glucose too *sigh*

Postby mich_momma » Mon Sep 11, 2006 10:49 am

by mich_momma (221 Posts), Mon Sep 11, 2006 10:49 am

Well, I don't know the "technical" answer or definition, but I do know that a racing pulse is something to watch out for, and that if it's a new symptom that you're experiencing, it can have something to do with your BP. My resting pulse frequently was as high as 125-135 while pregnant, and frequently never went below 100. I would suggest bringing it up to your OB.

mich_momma

Postby sonja » Mon Sep 11, 2006 11:20 am

by sonja (5658 Posts), Mon Sep 11, 2006 11:20 am

Hi Mary - I had severe sudden onset pre-e with my first pregnancy, during my second my bp went up a tiny bit at about 14 weeks - more like PIH. I was sent to a Peri and tested for high cardiac output which I was diagnosed with. Basically my blood was pumping too fast and too hard through my arteries. I was put on 50 mgs of Atenolol and then 100 mg when my pulse was still not under 85 for a resting heart rate. My Peri (who is a leading reseacher on pre-e) believes that high cardiac output can lead to pre-e in that it wears the arteries out and can lead to bad things down the line. I went on to have a successful second pregnancy - natural birth and all, although I was very carefully watched because of being on Atenolol. Some OB's don't buy into this high cardiac output theory. For me I was very comfortable having an OB that was proactive with my care and medicating me early instead of waiting until things got bad and then medicating. If you do a search for high pulse and high cardiac output on here you will get tons of info as lots of ladies have posted about this. Good luck to you.

Joy
sonja
Forum Moderator

Postby khailibowen » Mon Sep 11, 2006 10:43 pm

by khailibowen (123 Posts), Mon Sep 11, 2006 10:43 pm

Well they decided to do the entire work up with blood to check liver enzymes (i have that band pain and other signs as well) plus a take-home 24 hour urine. When I called they barely gave me any time wanting me in ASAP. It also turns out that my blood glucose was high so I have to do the 3 hour test on Wednesday, the N/P said that it could all be related, any thoughts on that?

I am on bedrest until I see them again in a few days and then we'll see where things go from there.
khailibowen

Postby julie f » Mon Sep 11, 2006 11:53 pm

by julie f (7993 Posts), Mon Sep 11, 2006 11:53 pm

Mary,

Here is a recent thread on the high pulse issue: http://www.preeclampsia.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=17482&SearchTerms=+racing+pulse

Like Joy, I was also diagnosed with high cardiac output during my 2nd pregnancy and my doctor wanted to keep my pulse nice and low - 70s & 80s.

If your OB isn't aware of your racing pulse, please let him/her know first thing in the morning. Also, it sounds as though your blood pressure is quite labile, fluctuating in and out of the hypertensive range, and that is something we often see with preeclampsia - readings tend to jump around quite a bit before the become, and stay, high. And even rare spikes into the high pressures you've mentioned can be very dangerous to both you and baby. So please, continue to keep a very close eye on those pressures and your symptoms. I would also speak with your doctor regarding their thoughts on blood pressure medication.

Are you seeing a high-risk OB? If not, I would really urge you to get in with one immediately. Your pregnancy requires very close monitoring and I am surprised that your OB is only seeing you every two weeks.

Please do take care, keep close watch over your symptoms and don't heistate to head to L&D should things progress. Let us know what you find out from your las tomorrow.
julie f

Postby jenndola » Tue Sep 12, 2006 00:27 am

by jenndola (1851 Posts), Tue Sep 12, 2006 00:27 am

Mary, I'm really glad they're running tests to follow up on you. Please take it easy for the next few days until you know what's going on!

Julie's given you great info on cardiac output, which is completely out of my range of knowledge. Like she said, make sure you let your OB know about your racing pulse so she can follow up on that as well. I know it's hard when you feel like you're complaining about every little thing, but just remember--that's what you're paying your OB for!

Please keep us updated on your labs. I'll be anxious to hear what you find out.
jenndola
Forum Moderator

Postby missgamecock » Tue Sep 12, 2006 08:20 am

by missgamecock (6064 Posts), Tue Sep 12, 2006 08:20 am

My pulse rate was well over 100 both times. With Sara, my ob had a hard time distinguishing between hers and my heartbeats.
missgamecock

Postby amym » Tue Sep 12, 2006 12:33 am

by amym (354 Posts), Tue Sep 12, 2006 12:33 am

Normal pulse is 60-100, according to most medical Web sites. I don't know too many people who are normal with pulses over 90 when they're just sitting around, except myself. I have had a high pulse since I had PE with my first pregnancy. I was on beta blockers until just before I recently got pregnant, and my heart rate often is around 100. My doctor took the approach of not medicating me unless I break 150 consistently; he thinks with my history of having a small baby, that the risk of having an even smaller baby (because that's a possible result of taking BBs in a pregnancy) is not worth it. If your pulse is always this high and this is no change for you, I wouldn't be as concerned as if this is a new thing.

You may just find that this is a result of the PE taking hold right now. My pulse rate started to go up when I was developing PE too.

Also, 160s is pretty high for BP, and I was told the top number is important too. So keep an eye on that. It might be better to be seen weekly, or at least to have your BP taken weekly in the office.
amym

Postby amym » Tue Sep 12, 2006 12:35 am

by amym (354 Posts), Tue Sep 12, 2006 12:35 am

I meant to add that I am not sure what factor high glucose levels play in affecting heart rate. This is something you should ask about. I assume you saw a nutritionist to find ways to keep your glucose under control; this is a must, because otherwise your baby could be smaller or larger than normal as a result.

amym

Postby khailibowen » Tue Sep 12, 2006 01:01 pm

by khailibowen (123 Posts), Tue Sep 12, 2006 01:01 pm

Thanks for the info Amy. My high pulse is only during pregnancy, I didn't have a problem with it before. As for the blood glucose, I have to take the 3hr test tomorrow so I don't even know it it's really a problem yet or not, it was just determined by the simple blood prick. She seemed to think that the high blood glucose had something to do with the PIH not so much the high pulse. I am not sure how it is all related though. I am already on a high protein diet because it helps keep my bp down, so I'm not sure how I could be having other issues like gest diab since I'm already eating so well.
khailibowen

Return to Ask the Experienced