abdominal pain with pre-eclampsia

This section is for discussions with other women who have probably been through the same signs/symptoms that you may be experiencing. Please note, we cannot offer medical advice and encourage members to discuss their concerns with their doctors. New members, come on in and introduce yourself!

abdominal pain with pre-eclampsia

Postby funrn » Sun Oct 01, 2006 09:20 pm

does anyone know what upper abdominal pain means r/t pre-eclampsia? my ob mentioned it as something to watch for, and i've had it on and off for about 2 weeks.
funrn

Re : abdominal pain with pre-eclampsia

Postby emersons mom » Sun Oct 01, 2006 09:47 pm

there is upper right side behind ribs pain related to HELLP syndrome.....from http://preeclampsia.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=492

The pain is called "epigastric" by the medical field.

"Epi"--A prefix, meaning upon, beside, among, on the outside, above, over and
"gastric": Of, pertaining to, or situated near, the stomach; as, the gastric artery.
"epigastic" (a) The whole upper part of the abdomen

The pain can be quite acute (intense) and sustained. It is generally most severe under the right rib and may be mistaken for severe heartburn, gallstones, or a gallbladder problem, the flu, or even back pain. Sometimes the pain will press on a nerve that refers to the shoulder and you will also get pain in the shoulder (right shoulder only) along the bra strap line (I like to call it the Vulcan Death Grip pain). Sometimes this pain can feel like a pulled muscle--or even the usual aches and pains of a stretching abdomen, too much Chinese food, or a general malaise. For me--the pain was intense and I couldn't lie on my right side.

My dr said it was behind the ribs and if i ever felt it i was to call in immediately....i would suggest calling in and asking to be seen my dr ordered 24 hour urine and blood tests to look for impaired liver function.....so be prepared for giving those samples!!!
emersons mom

Postby kara » Sun Oct 01, 2006 09:50 pm

It feels different to different people, but I thought it waas unmistakable. It is on the right side, under the ribcage. It can feel like burning, or severe heartburn. Mine was more centrally located, underneath the breastbone or sternum, radiating back thru the shoulder blades. Emersons mom above gives great descriptions.

***If you have ANY concern, you should be seen immediately, and if you are diagnosed with PRE-E that means tonight!*** This disease can move swiftly and be extremely dangerous. Pleas post back!
kara
Forum Moderator

Postby julie f » Sun Oct 01, 2006 10:04 pm

Please call your OB and let them know about this pain, it's not something to be taken lightly. The pain comes from an enlarged liver that is associated with HELLP Syndrome, it is one of those - get thee to the hospital right now kind of symptoms. Not to scare you here but always better safe than sorry.

Like Kara said, it seems to be different for each woman with the common theme being that something just doesn't feel right... My pain was intermittent for a day prior to my diagnosis.

Please do get checked out and let us know how you are doing.
julie f

Postby berrideja » Wed Oct 04, 2006 02:21 pm

What about upper left pain or pain all the way across at the bottom of the ribs, top of the belly?? I'm 31 weeks and the last few days have been rather interesting trying to move so it doesn't hurt so much...but sometimes, it literally takes my breath away....
Tks, Jamie
berrideja

Return to Ask the Experienced