Post Reply FAQ Members Login

? about missed miscarriage and infection

A place for those bereaved to receive and offer support

? about missed miscarriage and infection

Postby kathyc » Tue Dec 12, 2006 05:20 pm

by kathyc (1114 Posts), Tue Dec 12, 2006 05:20 pm

I guess this is the best place to post this. Many of you know that I had a miscarriage last week. It was a missed miscarriage and the baby had died 4 weeks earlier. I initially thought it was 3 weeks, but after counting back...it was 4.[B)]

Anyway, today I have been hurting a lot more and running a low temp of about 100-100.3. I also just feel wiped out.[xx(] My OB wants to go ahead and see me in the morning. Does this sound like it could be an infection? He did say there was a risk of one.

I could just be coming down with a cold...or doing too much (I did go back to work this week.) Trying to keep a positive attitude still, but that hasn't been working so well for me lately...so I'm leaning a bit more toward paranoia...I mean "better safe than sorry."[;)]
kathyc

Re : ? about missed miscarriage and infection

Postby rosemary » Tue Dec 12, 2006 05:34 pm

by rosemary (2360 Posts), Tue Dec 12, 2006 05:34 pm

Kathy,

I am sorry for what you are going through and I am very sorry for your loss. With the fact that you are running a temp and with the increase in pain, it is possible that you have an infection. If you have an infection, you may just be placed on an antibiotic. There is also a chance that you may have to have a d & c if the doctor feels that an antibiotic won't completely eliminate the infection. Of course it could just be that you are worn down from all that you have been through. I am glad you are seeing your doctor in the morning. Please try to get some rest and relax a bit. I hope that you feel better soon!
rosemary
Forum Moderator

Postby jacobdaniel » Tue Dec 12, 2006 05:49 pm

by jacobdaniel (162 Posts), Tue Dec 12, 2006 05:49 pm

Yes, I would see your OB. You have to be sure everything has passed or an infection can develop. Better safe than sorry. I am so sorry you had to experience this loss. Take care.
jacobdaniel

Postby missgamecock » Tue Dec 12, 2006 08:38 pm

by missgamecock (6064 Posts), Tue Dec 12, 2006 08:38 pm

I am the queen of uterine infections! I have had them after both babies and after my lap in Oct. When I had an infection with Kirsten, they caught it in the hospital. I started to run a fever, and they were testing my pee constantly after she was born. The day before I was released, the nurse came in and said here take these, you have a uterine infection. I was on Duracef for 10 days. My symptoms before were fever and abdominal pain (more like bad cramps which I thought were normal). After Sara was born, again a uterine infection. This time it was a bad one. If I had waited till the office opened (48 hours) I would have had to have been readmitted. I had iv antibiotics and was released after the ER called my doc at home and conferred with him. So iv antibiotics, massive doses of Augmentin, and Lortab. I followed up two days later with my ob and he also prescribed an additional antibiotic (big doses of clindamycin) because I had Ecoli. He sent me for a US that showed retained parts. I had an emergency d&c that afternoon. Literally an hour after the imaging place called him, I was being prepped for surgery. The d&c got everything out of the uterus. Symptoms this time was fever, pain, really foul smell down there, discharge, stomach pain, feeling like I had the flu, exceesive bleeding, and chills. You could definitely tell by looking at me that I was really sick. I stayed on antibiotics for over a month.

Then I had a lap in October and got another one because they use a cannula to manipulate the uterus during surgery. ER visit for it because of a snow storm. I had fever, chills, nausea, excessive bleeding, stomach pain and felt sick. This time I got iv fluids, painkiller, and was put on Dyocycline max dose. They put me on it because they wanted me on a broad spectrum antibiotic. The ER dr conferred with my obgyn again on what to do. I was released on the Dyocycline and they offered a pain killer that I turned down.

All of my blood tests showed an elevated white blood cell count and white blood cells in the urine.

I'm sorry for the loss of your baby. Definitely see your dr. They will need to do some blood work, cervical and uterine cultures, and may send you for an US.
missgamecock

Postby froggie89 » Tue Dec 12, 2006 09:42 pm

by froggie89 (1823 Posts), Tue Dec 12, 2006 09:42 pm

Kathy,

I'm sorry that you're not feeling well right now. I hope that doc is able to find out what's making you feel bad. Take care and know that we're all thinking and praying for you. I'm sorry for you loss. We're here for you if you need us. Take care. Hugs...
froggie89

Postby kathyc » Wed Dec 13, 2006 03:53 am

by kathyc (1114 Posts), Wed Dec 13, 2006 03:53 am

OK, I am feeling much worse. Can't sleep because I hurt everywhere. Fever is not too bad, about 101.7, but goodness i feel just awul! I had a flu shot last month, but I really feel like I have a bad flu. Hurry up 8:30.
kathyc

Postby alexp » Wed Dec 13, 2006 04:51 am

by alexp (1475 Posts), Wed Dec 13, 2006 04:51 am

Kathy, I am so sorry for your loss and that you are having to go through all of this.

Please don't hesitate to go to the ER or call your doctor if you think you need to.

I had an infection after a D&C once, and it was a very unpleasant experience. And yes, it did feel like I was getting the flu - hurting everywhere. My temps were also low but did eventually spike. So I agree with your 'better safe than sorry' way of thinking.

Please keep us posted and I hope you are feeling much better soon.
alexp

Postby jana m » Wed Dec 13, 2006 08:09 am

by jana m (1509 Posts), Wed Dec 13, 2006 08:09 am

Kathy,
I am so sorry for your loss. I agree with Alex. Head into the ER if you really aren't feeling right. Better safe than sorry.
jana m

Postby missgamecock » Wed Dec 13, 2006 08:20 am

by missgamecock (6064 Posts), Wed Dec 13, 2006 08:20 am

Kathy did you go in???
missgamecock

Postby darcynulph » Wed Dec 13, 2006 08:54 am

by darcynulph (413 Posts), Wed Dec 13, 2006 08:54 am

Kathy-

I had a loss in September which was a missed m/c and needed a D&C. From my understanding it helps the process of healing along. I hope you are feeling better soon.
darcynulph

Next

Return to Grief and Loss