Magnesium during delivery

This section is for discussions with other women who have probably been through the same signs/symptoms that you may be experiencing. Please note, we cannot offer medical advice and encourage members to discuss their concerns with their doctors. New members, come on in and introduce yourself!
mother bear

Re : Magnesium during delivery

Postby mother bear » Wed May 16, 2007 09:45 am

I felt so terrible before I got magged, that the mag itself didn't feel so much different, except with the addition of hot flashes and some really nice quadruple vision. Of course, on the second day after delivery, they stopped the mag, and I felt freaking awsome, ready to jump up and run around, with lots of pitting edema, hyperreflexia, couldn't sleep, a little on the paranoid side, and still high BPs that meds weren't controlling... Hmm... maybe I should have been on it more time?

Forum Moderator

Postby caryn » Tue May 15, 2007 08:39 pm

I didn't really have much in the way of side effects, apart from what I was quite sure was an eyes-not-tracking headache on day 4 of administration (rather than a PE headache, of course.) But everyone is so different!

Postby a&amama » Tue May 15, 2007 08:22 pm

I never noticed the connection between the magsulf and my level of disorientation. I had severe eclampsia, and began seizing, so Ive always attributed the disoriented state I was in to that.

rachel a

Postby rachel a » Tue May 15, 2007 03:18 pm

With Dylan it wasn't too bad. The normal "hot" flashes and funky vision... I was surprised how effective it was for me. However, with Addi it was terrible. I was put on Magnesium Sulfate because it was "protocol" for any early induction or early c/section as a result of PE--regardless of bp at the time. After Addi was born my blood pressure was dropping so low I could hardly stay awake, and my blood pressure was dropping so low the machine couldn't register it.

Its side effects really vary from person to person and from pregnancy to pregnancy.

Postby hhbeachgurl » Tue May 15, 2007 03:03 pm

I was on Mag for 2 days before my C-section (all during the induction process that didn't work) and then for 24 hours after. I had the headache, visual disturbances, hyperreflexes and 3 beats of clonus, so I knew I was getting Mag. It was not fun, but is so worth it if it prevents a seizure. I felt awful, by the 3rd day i could barely see, but immediatly things improved when the mag stopped. Good luck

Postby bethany123 » Tue May 15, 2007 11:05 am

I was on it for several days including 24 hrs post partum with my first delivery (PE high BP,early onset, IUGR and protein) but not my second delivery (very high BP late in the game, no IUGR, no protein). I made a point of asking my doctors what threshold I would need to cross to be magged. I heard a range of responses including one doctor who honestly said that it is depends on the doctor some use it very liberally and don't worry about the side effects and others use it only unless they see full blown classic PE.

I would suggest bringing or aksing for a small ice pack to place on your arm. This takes care of the burning sensation as the medicine comes through the IV. If you aren't on bedrest, take a shower before they mag you. I also could not sit up once I was on it. Try to avoid going on it after you have eaten, it can make you throw up.

You can use a bed pan or a catheter. They monitor your input and output. Some people prefer a catheter and the nurses prefer it since its less work for them. It can hurt going in if your nurse isn't skilled so you may want to opt for a bedpan.

Ask to work with a lactation consultant and start pumping as soon after delivery as you can. I've read thta mag can affect your milk coming in. I know that I had problems with milk not coming in and supply in the beginning and I'm not sure whether it was from delivering so early or the mag or both.

Lastly, do watch out for toxicity. It also happened to me. The feeling of not being able to breath was terrible. Even after my levels came down my chest felt heavy and I couldn't breathe well. I also had blood drawn every three hours while I was on it. This probably was from going to high.

The bigger downside with mag is that it shuts down labor so the induction takes more time and is harder to get going.

Its good that you are preparing. One of the worst aspects for me was that the attending ob/gyn did nothing to prepare us for any of the side effects at all and my ob/gyn had never mentioned it. The surprise made it worse because we never knew if it was normal or something was very wrong.

Postby dwine10 » Tue May 15, 2007 10:34 am

Thanks everyone. I like to prepare for the worst and be pleasantly surprised when things are better. So, all of these responses have been a huge help to me!

Forum Moderator

Postby catherine » Tue May 15, 2007 00:04 am

MgSO4 can contribute to some funky visual effects (double vision for example). It's because the relaxant properties even get to your eye muscles.

To be honest, I don't think that I really registered serious issues with the MgSO4 when I was on it.... except for the double vision which was pretty hilarious. My DH has a moustache... and the (upper lip + hair)2x..... really not for the faint of heart KWIM?

The Magpie Trial proved pretty conclusively that it is the most effective preventative for eclamptic seizures, and unfortunately, there are no good predictors for your risk of proceeding from preeclampsia to eclampsia, BP levels don't work. So, if you have already been diagnosed with preeclampsia, the odds are good that you are going to experience it's delights.

If I were you I'd ask your OB about his/her plans for your management during labor and delivery. Take the time to ask about the side-effects. Once you are in the game so to speak, ask the nurse about what to expect before they start it in your IV, and what they'll be looking out for. Do this when your DH or some other supporter is with you. That way they can listen in, and learn what to do to make you feel less uncomfortable, such as a cool cloth, or so that they'll be aware that you may find it hard to move around in the bed once it takes effect.

I think that you are wise to be fore-armed. You may not be able to avoid it, but you will at least be ready for it and ready to manage the side-effects.

Postby aundapenner » Mon May 14, 2007 11:49 pm

I had PIH that eventually went into moderate PE. I was induced but ended up with a c-section. I did NOT have mags.

I don't know if that's an exception or the norm.

My OB is a MUCH older gentleman who is VERY well respected in this area.

kelly w

Postby kelly w » Mon May 14, 2007 08:16 pm

I know most people have a bad experience with Mag, but for me it wasn't that bad. It brought my BP down drastically and I actually felt better on the Mag than I did without it. I felt "out of it" and kind of dizzy and had weird visual things [but I'm not sure if the visuals were because of mag or other things]. But truly, Mag saved my life and I would gladly take it again in a heartbeat if I were in a situation where I was pregnant and my BP was high.

Return to “Ask the Experienced”