Post Reply FAQ Members Login

Magnesium during delivery

This section is for discussions with other women who have probably been through the same signs/symptoms that you may be experiencing. Please note, we cannot offer medical advice and encourage members to discuss their concerns with their doctors. New members, come on in and introduce yourself!

Magnesium during delivery

Postby dwine10 » Sat May 12, 2007 08:19 pm

by dwine10 (47 Posts), Sat May 12, 2007 08:19 pm

I have seen a lot of posts mention mag during delivery as an awful experience. I haven't been able to find much good information on the side effects.

Can anyone tell me what is so bad about it? I am curious to hear about experiences just so I can be prepared. Please don't be afraid to scare me!

dwine10

Re : Magnesium during delivery

Postby alison76 » Sat May 12, 2007 08:59 pm

by alison76 (170 Posts), Sat May 12, 2007 08:59 pm

Hi there

My first mag experience was much worse than my second. I was on it for about 37+ hours because I had a very very long labour. I was completely out of it. I didnt really know where I was, who I was, what was happening or anything.

The second time while in labour I wasnt too bad really, it left my dopey and alittle out of it but not too bad. I threw up but it could have been labour related. The next day however, still being on mag I felt as if I had actually had a stroke. I couldnt raise either of my hands to my face at all. I really had little control over my hands. I was very weak and lethargic and basically over all felt like crap. THe good thing is once they stop it, it does tend to wear off quickly.
I think the other thing is caused is to make me feel very very warm and flushed.
alison76

Postby lbdefelice » Sat May 12, 2007 10:08 pm

by lbdefelice (203 Posts), Sat May 12, 2007 10:08 pm

I was on Mag during my labor and for 24hrs after delivery of my daughter. I was then on it for 24 hrs again (10 days postpartum due to postpartum preeclampsia). It made me feel very hot and flushed. My face was bright red and I was just so warm. Luckily, the nurses (both times) brought fans it to help me. It also made me feel very groggy, lethargic and "out of it". I also got a horrible headache while I was on it too. (Unsure if the headache was BP related or Mag related). The good thing like Alison mentions is that it does wear off very quickly (once the infusion is stopped).
lbdefelice

Postby dwine10 » Sat May 12, 2007 10:22 pm

by dwine10 (47 Posts), Sat May 12, 2007 10:22 pm

Does everyone with PE have to have mag during delivery? Are there general guidelines for when a patient is put on mag, like BP over a certain number?
dwine10

Postby deerhart » Sun May 13, 2007 00:36 am

by deerhart (3282 Posts), Sun May 13, 2007 00:36 am

Its up to your doctor. I have mag the first time, I avoided it the second time (my BP was well controlled by position the second time). Even in my first delivery, I was not on mag until my BP hit a certain level (by that point I had no clue what it was by I suspect it was pretty close to 160/110 as I went IN with BP's at 150/98)

I had pretty bad reactions to it (I am allergic to sulfate) including black outs for the next few days (even after off of it), burns on my face, and extreme fatigue (more so then just delivery for several days afterwards. Most told me the symptoms would disappear with 24-48 hours after the mag was discontinued and I continued to have problems 7-10 days afterwards.

There are lots of threads on mag and its effects on the boards._
deerhart

Postby rosalinda » Sun May 13, 2007 03:21 am

by rosalinda (578 Posts), Sun May 13, 2007 03:21 am

I had mag three times during my hospitalization (13 days), the first time I had an immediate hot flash as it went through the IV into my body and then I vomited. I did feel groggy and a little out of it.

The second time during my delivery I didn't get the hot flash, but I was extremely lethargic and out of it. My OB came in to talk to me and I could barely answer her, she ordered mag levels drawn, and it turned out my blood level was at the toxic end...so down the mag went and then it was okay.

The third time happened after I was discharged home after delivery with no BP meds and was told my BP would go back down to normal in a few weeks and not to worry. Well, I was back in two days with BP of 202/117, back on mag I went, and this time it was much better. No grogginess at all, just a slight feeling of warmth, and a little bit of tiredness.

I hope this helps, but it looks like everyone's experience is a little bit different.
rosalinda

Postby sonja » Sun May 13, 2007 11:10 am

by sonja (5658 Posts), Sun May 13, 2007 11:10 am

It is different for everyone, I have read more negative comments about it then positive - but my experience was not that bad at all. I did not seem to get many effects from it. The nurses at the hospital that I was in mentioned that my OB magged everyone with slightly elevated bps. Good luck to you.
sonja
Forum Moderator

Postby blythe » Sun May 13, 2007 08:02 pm

by blythe (3060 Posts), Sun May 13, 2007 08:02 pm

My OB with #1 was in practice straight out of residency, and she says that she was taught to mag as soon as pressures are diagnostic 140/90, regardless of proteinuria or other symptoms. My OB for #2 has been in practice longer and says she doesn't mag mild PE (140s/90s, 300mg protein) unless there is hyperreflexia, headache, visual disturbances, or bad labs. It is *so* variable among doctors, it really seems up to their comfort level - and how long since they've had a woman progress to eclampsia...

I'm one of the ones who has been very vocal about how much I've hated mag [;)]. I puked, felt generally nauseous, couldn't lift my head, got very fuzzy mentally, AND the nurses didn't give it to me until I was 8cm so baby got the full dose and was floppy and had trouble breathing and spent 4 days in the NICU for high mag (MgSO4) levels. BUT, it is a lifesaver if you really need it.

I'd ask your doc what her / his threshold for mag is, just so you can be a little prepared. If seeing the baby right away is important to you, (and assuming you're lucky enough to have a vaginal delivery [:)]) ask for the baby to be put on your belly while your husband cuts the cord - that way you get a few seconds with the baby even if they need to do more to make sure the baby is healthy.

Of course, if there's a huge emergency, the baby's health absolutely comes first! I'm just sad that my doctor took the time to let my husband cut the cord, but I didn't get to see or touch him until he was over 30 hours old [:(]. If she'd at least put him on my belly I could have touched him... I know I'm supremely lucky that he was healthy at all - many women here have lost their babies and that breaks my heart. But even though my pain is so minimal in comparison, it's still painful for me, and I'd like anyone else to be spared the same experience.

Oh! and if you are magged, be prepared that you'll be on it for at least 24 hours after delivery. That's why I didn't see the baby - my nurse wouldn't take my gurney into the NICU. I found out later that some nurses would have taken me, it's just a pain in my hospital.

Sorry for the rambling book, here [:)]. Lessons from my birth: try to be prepared, and as long as there is a way to do it with mom and baby's safety in mind, at least *ask* for what is important to you in the birth of your child!
blythe

Postby heather100 » Mon May 14, 2007 09:23 am

by heather100 (1321 Posts), Mon May 14, 2007 09:23 am

From reading info on this site, it is up to the doc as to whether or not you get mag. Some do it every single time and others have certain BP readings/other symptoms that they go by.

I had it for 3 days since I had a failed induction and then a c-section. I personally HATED it and would love to avoid it again if possible. I was so weak that I couldn't even roll over in the bed by myself. And I felt like I was on FIRE!!! I think they set the A/C at like 60 degrees and I still had to have cold washclothes on me. I'm almost glad I had a c-section as I was so weak I can not even imagine trying to push out a baby.
heather100

Postby dwine10 » Mon May 14, 2007 09:37 am

by dwine10 (47 Posts), Mon May 14, 2007 09:37 am

Thanks for the input. If I have a scheduled c-section it is it easier to avoid mag or have it for a shorter amount of time? My baby might be breech so it is possible that my scheudled induction will turn into a scheduled c-section.
dwine10

Next

Return to Ask the Experienced