What can I expect at my 1st Perinatologist visit?

This section is for discussions with other women who have probably been through the same signs/symptoms that you may be experiencing. Please note, we cannot offer medical advice and encourage members to discuss their concerns with their doctors. New members, come on in and introduce yourself!

What can I expect at my 1st Perinatologist visit?

Postby usmcaviatorwife » Sun Jul 08, 2007 02:20 pm

Does anyone know??? I had blood work and 24 hour urine tests done last week, but am just curious what they will do at the Peri appt??? TIA!
usmcaviatorwife

Re : What can I expect at my 1st Perinatologist visit?

Postby lynnekay » Sun Jul 08, 2007 03:16 pm

When my DD went to the peri each month he would always take a peek at the baby via Ultra-sound and measure the baby (growth & length of bones), measure the fluid level and check the blood flow to the placenta & look at the heart and other organs. They also do bio-physicals of the baby to chart its estimated size. They also do amnio's to see if the lungs are developed.

We were told the following in regards to the need for a peri: The OB's job is to focus on the mothers health and the peri's job is to focus on the babies health... It is a great team of experts for everyone involved... The OB & peri will work toghter for the best outcome for both you and your baby :-)
lynnekay

Postby usmcaviatorwife » Sun Jul 08, 2007 03:28 pm

Thanks! :) I was just a little curious since this will be my first time seeing one!
usmcaviatorwife

Postby sonja » Sun Jul 08, 2007 07:13 pm

My peri did NST's for the baby - never an ultrasound - he had that done before I went in. He basically just went through the information with me from all of the tests that I had had done. He was a great source of info for me - make sure that you write down any questions that you have. Take care.
sonja
Forum Moderator

Postby mnmom » Sun Jul 08, 2007 07:43 pm

Hi and welcome! My experience with the peri were similar to Lynne's DD. I saw him once a month and twice the month I delivered. He did an ultrasound every visit, checked fluid level-because mine was really high, and did a biophysical. I also had weekly NST but those were done at our local hospital. He also did my amnio, but that was only once, thank goodness. And I agree-write down questions as you think of them. Take care!
mnmom
Forum Moderator

Return to Ask the Experienced