Post Reply FAQ Members Login

Partner change, birth interval and risk of PE

The Preeclampsia Foundation does not necessarily endorse any research or news found in this forum, we just want to share what is out there. Please use your own discretion to evaluate any information you find here.

Partner change, birth interval and risk of PE

Postby caryn » Wed Aug 01, 2007 03:37 am

by caryn (10111 Posts), Wed Aug 01, 2007 03:37 am

"Two recent papers using data from the same birth registry reported that, after controlling for birth interval, partner change was associated with a reduced risk of pre-eclampsia. Based on a causal diagram, the author argues conceptually that birth interval is not a confounder but more likely to be a collider. Controlling for or stratifying birth interval in the association between partner change and risk of pre-eclampsia could be inappropriate and may have produced a spurious association..."

http://tinyurl.com/ytfw9g

Information provided on this site is provided for informational purposes only and is not meant to substitute for the advice provided by your own physician or other medical professional. You should not use the information contained herein for diagnosing or treating a health problem or disorder, or prescribing any medication. The Preeclampsia Foundation presents all data as is, without any warranty of any kind, express or implied, and is not liable for its accuracy, for mistakes or omissions of any kind, nor for any loss or damage caused by a user's reliance on information obtained on the site. Professional opinions on this condition vary greatly. The Preeclampsia Foundation endorses no one course of treatment or "cure".
caryn
Forum Moderator

Re : Partner change, birth interval and risk of PE

Postby leftcoastgirl » Wed Aug 01, 2007 03:47 am

by leftcoastgirl (550 Posts), Wed Aug 01, 2007 03:47 am

This is good news for me. Thank you for sharing this Caryn...cross your fingers that my ten year interval doesn't cause me a collision. =)
leftcoastgirl

Postby allyson2 » Wed Aug 01, 2007 02:19 pm

by allyson2 (32 Posts), Wed Aug 01, 2007 02:19 pm

Caryn,
If a persons pe/hellp came from the fact that they have a different partner how does the body not react the same the second time around?
allyson2

Postby caryn » Wed Aug 01, 2007 04:25 pm

by caryn (10111 Posts), Wed Aug 01, 2007 04:25 pm

What they're looking at here is two different variables that are intertwined -- if you get PE in your first pregnancy, then change partners, then get pregnant again, *usually* there is more time between pregnancies than there would be if you stayed with the original partner.

So, for a while they thought changing partners was associated with an increased risk. Then they thought that maybe the increased risk was all from the increased time between pregnancies. Now they're arguing that maybe changing partners is *protective* against PE. But increased time between pregnancies is still bad.

Basically, they're trying to figure out if the father's genes are implicated at all, at least in some cases, and they're leaning towards the answer that yes, they are.

And since the father's genes are generally in charge of growing the placenta as I understand things, this makes sense to me. Some of us (particularly those with no underlying disorders) could just be making babies with guys who grow particularly bossy placentae.

("Honey! It's *your* fault!")
caryn
Forum Moderator

Postby allyson2 » Wed Aug 01, 2007 05:19 pm

by allyson2 (32 Posts), Wed Aug 01, 2007 05:19 pm

SO if you try for number two with the new partner will your body be better adjusted. Thanks for anserwing my questions
allyson2

Postby caryn » Wed Aug 01, 2007 08:39 pm

by caryn (10111 Posts), Wed Aug 01, 2007 08:39 pm

Not necessarily. At least three different things contribute here:

1) your new partner may not have the genetics to make a particularly invasive placenta, or he may, but the odds of "not" are better

2) the uterine arteries are stretched out after a first pregnancy, so it's easier for a subsequent placenta to implant properly

3) as you've aged a bit, you may have progressed farther towards chronic hypertension or developed some sort of underlying condition that can predispose a pregnancy to go preeclamptic

The hard thing about PE research is that it's multifactorial and heterogeneous, two big words that pretty much mean there are lots of ways to get it. You can get it because you've got clotting problems, or because your family has a strong history of chronic hypertension and you're going to develop it later, or because the placenta doesn't implant properly because of the immune system, or because of a freak accident in which half the placenta abrupts because you fall down the stairs or something, or because this particular placenta decides to develop trisomy 13 in just some of the lobes...

This is just one of the possible factors.

One of the top researchers on this says it's like blindness research was 100 years ago, when they just knew people stopped being able to see. Macular degeneration and retinopathy of prematurity both cause blindness, but for completely different reasons. PE is much the same way.

Does that make any sense?
caryn
Forum Moderator

Postby allyson2 » Thu Aug 02, 2007 11:00 am

by allyson2 (32 Posts), Thu Aug 02, 2007 11:00 am

Yes it makes sense.Hopefully luck will be on my side.Like I said there really aren't any anserws for me I've been tested while preg and 6wks pp with everything coming back ok.My bp was normal by 6wks.pp and has actually been lower than ever before.Keep the good articles coming!!!
allyson2

Postby leftcoastgirl » Fri Aug 03, 2007 00:21 am

by leftcoastgirl (550 Posts), Fri Aug 03, 2007 00:21 am

Interesting Caryn...I had no idea the males genes were responsible for growth of the placenta. I just sat here and told my hubby this, and he said I know! I said "how did you know?" He told me he beat me to reading this thread, lol.
leftcoastgirl

Postby caryn » Fri Aug 03, 2007 09:25 pm

by caryn (10111 Posts), Fri Aug 03, 2007 09:25 pm

Ha!

I'm not sure I understand it correctly, but I guess the idea is that the baby inherits placenta growth genes (for lack of a better term) from both mother and father, but only the father's are switched on. They call it "imprinting" -- and it might be better explained by saying that the mother's genes are switched off, by the father's, in order to drive the growth of the placenta.

This means, too, that any of a male PE baby's offspring could have the father's genes (i.e. the ones involved in the preeclamptic pregnancy when that baby's father was in utero) *or* the mother's genes... which might explain why not all PE babies go on to father PE pregnancies...

*head explode*
caryn
Forum Moderator

Postby jamilyn » Sat Aug 04, 2007 12:09 am

by jamilyn (430 Posts), Sat Aug 04, 2007 12:09 am

This is all very good to hear.!!!! It gives me a little hope that I could possibly have a preeclampsia free pregnancy! not that any of my pregnancies will be normal but one that ended at me having my c-section on the scheduled date at 37 weeks and not getting PE would be WONDERFUL.!!!!!
Thanks Caryn for sharing
jamilyn

Next

Return to Announcements and Preeclampsia in the News