PIH lab test results-interpretation please

This section is for discussions with other women who have probably been through the same signs/symptoms that you may be experiencing. Please note, we cannot offer medical advice and encourage members to discuss their concerns with their doctors. New members, come on in and introduce yourself!

PIH lab test results-interpretation please

Postby ambersjourney » Wed Sep 12, 2007 03:21 am

Hi,
I got the results for a PIH panel that was taken on Thursday. The nurse told me that the numbers were good. But I would prefer to know what the values should be, what numbers are concerning, etc. Especially after they took blood again today, (Tuesday) for another PIH panel.

WBC- 12.0
RBC- 3.79
Hemoglobin- 11.1
Hematacrit- 34.7
MCV- 91.6
MCH- 29.3
MCHC- 32.0
RDW -CV- 14.0
Platelet Count: 391
MPV-9.6
Blood Urea Nit.-8
Creatinine-0.63
Uric ACID- 5.6
SGOT/AST- 14

Thanks!
ambersjourney

Re : PIH lab test results-interpretation please

Postby missgamecock » Wed Sep 12, 2007 07:01 am

www.labtestsonline.org

missgamecock

Postby macksmommy » Wed Sep 12, 2007 07:06 am

Hi, the numbers do look great as far as I see. All labs have different norm values they go by, but they are all basically the same. What they mainly look at for PIH is uric acid. liver enzymes (SGOT/AST), and platelet count. I know my peri did not worry about uric acid until it was 6 or greater. As far as your platelets go, where I work (I am a RN in a ER) platelets greater than 250,000 are normal. Also SGOT less than 50 is considered normal. Also what they look at are trends in the labs, like if your liver enzymes, are rising substantially.
macksmommy

Postby ambersjourney » Wed Sep 12, 2007 10:06 am

Thank you. What does HELLP stand for?
ambersjourney

Postby kara » Wed Sep 12, 2007 11:35 am

HELLP stands for Hemolysis, Elevated Liver enzymes, and Low Platelets. Hemolysis is the abnormal breakdown of red blood cells, elevated liver enzymes appear when there is liver irritation or other liver involvement because of the disease process of preeclampsia. Low platelets means your blood won't clot properly, which is also a serious problem and can cause internal bleeding, or bleeding during delivery that is difficult to stop. You can have all of these issues, or just one or two and it could be considered HELLP syndrome. HELLP is actually quite rare (even though it doesn't seem rare, given the number of ladies on here who have had it).
kara
Forum Moderator

Return to Ask the Experienced