How does PCOS play into pre-e?

This section is for discussions with other women who have probably been through the same signs/symptoms that you may be experiencing. Please note, we cannot offer medical advice and encourage members to discuss their concerns with their doctors. New members, come on in and introduce yourself!
colesmommy

Re : How does PCOS play into pre-e?

Postby colesmommy » Thu Jan 03, 2008 11:59 pm

Laura-also wanted to mention-great article. Thanks for the link!

colesmommy

Postby colesmommy » Thu Jan 03, 2008 11:55 pm

Thanks everyone for the information. I have the insulin resistance, and am not diabetic, so I wondered how that factored into everything.

Caryn-you always explain everything so well!! Thanks!![:)]

caryn
Forum Moderator

Postby caryn » Thu Jan 03, 2008 09:43 am

quote:Originally posted by colesmommy

I am very logical in how I think of everything, and how everything should work, and pre-e seems to fly in the face of logic, from what I can tell.

True that! PE is an incredibly messy problem.

The common factor is thought likely to be inflammation. PCOSers have insulin resistance, as Laura's pointed out. Obese women are more likely to have insulin resistance. Insulin resistance results in cellular inflammation. Chronic hypertensives are more likely to have inflammation, as are women with an autoimmune condition. And inflammation means a hyperactive innate arm of the immune system, which means a whole bunch of other stuff is going on too that's thought to interfere with the way the body handles pregnancy.

Here's a good link: http://www.preeclampsia.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4737

laura

Postby laura » Thu Jan 03, 2008 04:50 am

To my knowledge, the common factor is the insulin resistance- although I'm not sure if PCOS has been implicated as a trigger for PE through IR or IR is just a common factor between both conditions.

Here's an article I found about it:

http://hyper.ahajournals.org/cgi/content/full/47/3/341

I'm not quite sure of how it works specifically, but I think our resident explainer might just be on her way... [:p]

ETA: Until then, if you google "insulin resistance" and preeclampsia, you'll hit the motherlode of information! Best of luck!

sonja
Forum Moderator

Postby sonja » Thu Jan 03, 2008 00:54 am

I am not the person to answer your question about the science behind all of this, but I think that you have to throw GD into the mix, I think that all three of those things are inter-related. I hope that someone can chime in here soon with some good explanations for you.

colesmommy

How does PCOS play into pre-e?

Postby colesmommy » Wed Jan 02, 2008 10:41 pm

I know that PCOS is a risk factor for developing PE, but what is the connection-does anyone know? I have PCOS (which they don't seem to know what causes THAT, either).
I post on a PCOS website, and very, very few people have posted about having pre-e.
I know being overweight/obese is also a risk factor for PE-again-what is the connection? Is the thought if you are overweight, you have existing b/p problems that have the potential to turn into PE? The weight problem and PCOS are closely related, although just b/c a person has PCOS doesn't mean she has a weight problem, and vice versa.
My whole experience with p/e has been difficult, like everyone else. I am very logical in how I think of everything, and how everything should work, and pre-e seems to fly in the face of logic, from what I can tell. I guess finding out more and trying to make some sense out of it is my way of coping.[8)]

Return to “Ask the Experienced”