Post Reply FAQ Members Login

hyperreflexia

This section is for discussions with other women who have probably been through the same signs/symptoms that you may be experiencing. Please note, we cannot offer medical advice and encourage members to discuss their concerns with their doctors. New members, come on in and introduce yourself!

hyperreflexia

Postby jjbeck1 » Tue Mar 30, 2004 09:33 pm

by jjbeck1 (208 Posts), Tue Mar 30, 2004 09:33 pm

How is this part of pre e? What causes this?

Jen 32
DH Bob 36

EDD 5/17/04

http://babygirl.aokwebhost4free.com
jjbeck1

Re : hyperreflexia

Postby laura » Wed Mar 31, 2004 10:32 am

by laura (5139 Posts), Wed Mar 31, 2004 10:32 am

Jen, a fundamental part of preeclampsia is vasospasm- where the vessels just clench down intermittently- clonus, or hyperreflexia, is a sign that the vasospasm is worsening and causing central nervous system damage- so as far as omnious signs of preeclampsia go, it's up there, as it indicates cns involvement.

Any indication of CNS involvement is particularly concerning, because it's CNS involvement that leads to eclampsia. Magnesium Sulfate, interestingly enough, is used to prevent eclampsia because it depresses the CNS. (I didn't know that until this morning[:I])

Laura
Moderator/AK Coordinator

Mom to Alicia (severe PE) 5/98 and Camille (htn, oligo) 4/03
http://www.babiesonline.com/babies/c/camilleandallie/
laura

Postby jjbeck1 » Wed Mar 31, 2004 11:50 am

by jjbeck1 (208 Posts), Wed Mar 31, 2004 11:50 am

I just dont understand. I keep being told my bp is not dangerous because it does not stay up. Actually at my last several doctor visits my bp has been normal. It is only high at home with anxiety and activity, but since I have been on very limited activity overall bo has improved.
Why are these things happening with the improved blood pressure. Is it all just coinicdence? Since my bp has gotten supposedly better ( though at times still gets high) I have had an abruption, protein in urine ( though not a lot), hyperreflexia, daily headaches, spots( a swarm of knats),
and now fetal growth has stopped.
I dont understand what is going on with me. Though I am not overly worried about seizures, I do worry. I have a brother and sister with epilepsy so I know a bit about seizures and know some of the warning signs they have before they have a seizure.

Jen 32
DH Bob 36

EDD 5/17/04

jjbeck1

Postby laura » Wed Mar 31, 2004 12:10 am

by laura (5139 Posts), Wed Mar 31, 2004 12:10 am

Sweetie, the signs you're describing don't really have much to do with blood pressure, everything you're describing seems like it is a by-product of the preeclampsia vasospasm, which from what I understand is not dependent on blood pressure.

I don't know what that means in the big picture, but it sure sounds to me like it would be a good idea to get a second opinion on all of this...

Laura
Moderator/AK Coordinator

Mom to Alicia (severe PE) 5/98 and Camille (htn, oligo) 4/03
http://www.babiesonline.com/babies/c/camilleandallie/
laura

Postby jjbeck1 » Wed Mar 31, 2004 01:00 pm

by jjbeck1 (208 Posts), Wed Mar 31, 2004 01:00 pm

Doc #1 on Monday was concerned I was developing pre e. Doc # 2 did not seem too concerned about pre e as bloodwork was fine and bp was fine in hospital. Doc# 3 I will see tomorrow. I dont know what he will have to say. All three are peris in the same office.
Doc# 3 to this day, I cannot figure out if he is the most laxed of the three or if he just does not tell me things because he does not want me to worry.
I was surprised that he told mu nurse to tell me it was urgent that he see me tomorrow and wants to do another u/s.

I spoke with the ins nurse today who is a peri nurse. She has copies of my records and strongly feels I am headed towards pre e or even E.
She explained that I can still have it WITHOUT the high bp numbers being consistant. She is very concerned.
Another problem I have is I am not urinating as much as I should be. Often the nurses ask me if I am dehydrated as my urine is usually concentrated. This despite I drink alot. I am glad they saw how much I was drinking in the hospital and saw how little output I had while doing the 24 hour. I am definatly getting puffier.

Jen 32
DH Bob 36

EDD 5/17/04

jjbeck1

Postby julie f » Wed Mar 31, 2004 01:12 pm

by julie f (7993 Posts), Wed Mar 31, 2004 01:12 pm

Oh Jen, please update us after your appt tomorrow, I am worried about you and baby. I agree with Laura, a new pair of eyes need to look at you!

When I was admitted my bp was 140/100 & 150/100. After bedrest and mag in the hospital it remain stable and relatively "low" 130-140/80-90, but, the rest of me was failing fast. I wasn't delivered because of bps or protein but rather because of cerebral swelling - something the doc's lab work isn't going to pick up.

Can the insurance's peri nurse call and talk to your provider?? Maybe she can get them to listen? Also, can you get back to see Doc #1 tomorrow as well, it sounds like maybe he/she will listen?

Julie (27)
Zachary James, 7/22/03-7/27/03, born at 26wks - severe pe

Southern California Coordinator
julie f

Postby jjbeck1 » Wed Mar 31, 2004 02:46 pm

by jjbeck1 (208 Posts), Wed Mar 31, 2004 02:46 pm

because these are the only three peris in the area, they are spread pretty thin. one is usually always at the main hospital, one is out doing consults and one remains at the office. they rotate so i have to see whomever is in the office. i will see how it goes tomorrow.

Jen 32
DH Bob 36

EDD 5/17/04

jjbeck1

Postby jjbeck1 » Wed Mar 31, 2004 02:49 pm

by jjbeck1 (208 Posts), Wed Mar 31, 2004 02:49 pm

julie, what was the cerebral swelling from and how did they dx it.

Jen 32
DH Bob 36

EDD 5/17/04

jjbeck1

Postby sandyak » Wed Mar 31, 2004 03:50 pm

by sandyak (37 Posts), Wed Mar 31, 2004 03:50 pm

jjbeck1
I wish you good luck. My heart goes out to you. I hope they figure out what is going on. And if you feel they are not doing their job I siggest you go to a completly different place for a good check up. You are in my prayers.

Best Wishes to you,

Sandy 29
Due Augest 12 2004
Anchorage AK
sandyak

Postby julie f » Wed Mar 31, 2004 05:05 pm

by julie f (7993 Posts), Wed Mar 31, 2004 05:05 pm

Jen,

The cerebral swelling was a result of preeclampsia for me, I'm not sure from what part specifically though. I didn't swell much on the outside at all, mainly internally.

My doctors said the way to diagnose the cerebral swelling was based on symptoms that the patient presents. The day I was diagnosed w/pe I felt fine, great actually. The next morning when I woke up I noticed I couldn't read, I tried to watch TV and had problems with that. I had developed a huge brown spot that covered my central line of vision from my left eye, right was ok though. A CT and MRI were ordered to rule out any bleeding in the brain or possible stroke I think. Both tests came back normal. The next morning when I woke up I had spots in my right eye as well. Now I could no longer really focus on anything, though I could still see what was going on in general. A couple days after this, I woke up in the morning and the left side of my face was completely numb. It still moved and my muscles still worked but, I could not feel a thing. It was at this point that they decided to deliver. My dr. felt that the swelling had become too much and didn't to wait around to see what would happen next. When I went to see an opthamologist a couple weeks post-partum, he explained that the swelling had kept blood from reaching certain parts of my optic nerve, causing part of it to not function, causing the spots (not floaters but big big brown spots), the nuerologist explained that this was the case for my face as well.

Anyway, I didn't mean to go on so long! I just get so frustrated when I hear how some doctors dismiss things so quickly. I hope that whatever doc you see tomorrow is very thorough with you! It may help if you write down a list of questions and a list of concerns/symptoms that you're having to go over with the doctor. I'd write down his/her answers as well so he/she can see how seriously you are taking this matter.

Keeping you in my prayers, please update us tomorrow!

Julie (27)
Zachary James, 7/22/03-7/27/03, born at 26wks - severe pe

Southern California Coordinator
julie f

Next

Return to Ask the Experienced