Abnormal Placenta?

This section is for discussions with other women who have probably been through the same signs/symptoms that you may be experiencing. Please note, we cannot offer medical advice and encourage members to discuss their concerns with their doctors. New members, come on in and introduce yourself!

Abnormal Placenta?

Postby ma2anangel » Thu Apr 01, 2004 07:57 pm

Months ago I was deciding whether or not to review my medical records. Well, guess what... [:(] Sometimes I think I should just leave this stuff alone and what I don't know, won't hurt me. In my medical records it states that I had an abnormal placenta. Does anyone else know what this could mean? I have a friend who put Hunter's pathology report into layman terms for me. There was so much wrong that I never knew at that time. So much went wrong... It was like he didn't have a chance [V] It just wasn't the cord accident, there were about 4 things that could've contributed to his death. So, 6 years later...I'm reliving all of this pain.

I guess what I'm asking here is - how many of us had "abnormal placentas?" Does the PE cause this?

NICHOLE

MAMA TO...

Eleighsa Lynn
&
Hunter Blake
Born Sleeping - 37 Weeks Gestation
You left and forgot to tell my heart how to live without you...
ma2anangel

Re : Abnormal Placenta?

Postby akemt » Thu Apr 01, 2004 08:26 pm

Nichole,

I'm sorry you are reliving the pain. Hopefully it will somehow help you through the grieving process to know what happened.

I think the placenta thing can go both ways. I don't beleive mine was "abnormal" but it wasn't functioning correctly because of the blood pressure. Preeclampsia is thought to originate in the placenta. If there is a problem with the placenta, I'd imagine that greatly ups your chances of preeclampsia. Though, which came first in your case, I wouldn't know?

I know that wasn't much of an answer and I wish I could give you more.

Catherine (22), Moderator (pregnant again)
DH Britton (27)
Emma Margaret (03/02/03) 37 weeks from PIH & oligo
Baby #2 due August 11, 2004
akemt

Postby tahoe4 » Fri Apr 02, 2004 05:50 am

An abonormal placenta can definitely be due to pre-eclampsia. During pre-e, blood clots can form in the placenta and can eventually stunt the growth of the baby if they're big enough to block the nutrients and oxygen to the baby. Your medical records from the hospital or from your OB should have a "letter" written by the dr who did your delivery on the condition of your placenta. It should say in the letter if there were blood clots or what the abnormality was.
tahoe4

Postby ma2anangel » Fri Apr 02, 2004 07:10 am

The report state that there were blood clots present in the placenta. The font in red is part of the pathology report.

One umbilical vein in on of the three sections shows rare luminal microthrombus formation.A section of the central placenta shows an additional larger portion of intraluminal thrombus in a larger umbilical vein towards the fetal surface.

However, this is what is states about the umbilical cord clotting:
The few thrombi in umbilical vessels are most likely secondary to intrauterine fetal demise and not necessarily a cause.

So, I'm still left with the question...what about the placenta? There isn't any information other than there were blood clots present. Maybe I'm overlooking something in my file [V]

NICHOLE

MAMA TO...

Eleighsa Lynn
&
Hunter Blake
ma2anangel

Postby ileana » Fri Apr 02, 2004 07:35 am

Nichole,

I am sorry to hear about your loss and all the pain you are going through now.

Preeclampsia is a disease of the placenta, so I imagine any woman that had preeclampsia has also had an abnormal placenta. My placenta was in very bad shape, because I was already very sick at 24w, and the baby showed IUGR as early as 20w.

This being said, I think that the reason why doctors don't tell us about our placentas is because we would not understand anything... yes, it is expected that there is a problem, that's what the disease is about. The pathology report is a report written for a doctor; a doctor will then be able to maybe explain what happened.

While I think that it is very important for us to know what other organs were affected by preeclampsia (liver, kidney, brains), organs that we'll have to live with and make sure they got back healthy after preeclampsia, I am not that sure that it is important to understand the placenta pathology. I have the hope that the doctors would tell us if there is anything to know in addition to the normal preeclampsia abnormalities. I can imagine that an Ob doesn't know much about kidneys or liver, but should know a lot about placentas.

I think the reason that you don't hear more women talking about their placenta is because the biopsy is not done for everyone. When they asked our consent to do one, they warned us that they do not expect any magic explanation coming from that report... they just don't know why it happened.

Ileana
IT Coordinator
Preeclampsia Foundation

Mother of Angel - stillborn on Feb 17, 2003 (24wGA, 410g)
ileana

Postby ma2anangel » Sat Apr 03, 2004 02:03 am

Thank you to all who have responded. I believe that I did receive wonderful care from my doctor. Especially the after-care that I had gotten. I always seem to question everything though because I just want an answer as to why he's not here [V] I also had trouble delivering the placenta twice...once with my son and once with my daughter. With my son, she had to do a "cleaning" of the uterus because there were fragments adhered to the uterus. I know in my heart - my doctor gave me the best care she possibly could. I do remember and it is stated in my chart that when she tried to rupture my membranes no fluid was noted. Hunter had died approximately 8 hours earlier. Where did all that fluid go? When I delivered my daughter, there was barely any fluid as well. This is an interesting topic though...how many of us had a damaged placenta due to PE?

NICHOLE

MAMA TO...

Eleighsa Lynn
&
Hunter Blake
ma2anangel

Postby ileana » Sat Apr 03, 2004 06:01 am

Nichole,

You've been through a lot with both your pregnancies... I can understand how difficult it is to relive these memories.

This is a good question, and I think we never discussed this issue, probably because most women with pree deliver by c-section (hmmm, do they take out the placenta during the c-section or you deliver it afterwards? I have no clue)

My placenta was in very bad shape (more than 50% infarcted, with blood clots, etc.), but it was delivered intact.

Ileana
IT Coordinator
Preeclampsia Foundation

Mother of Angel - stillborn on Feb 17, 2003 (24wGA, 410g)
ileana

Postby laura » Sat Apr 03, 2004 09:22 am

Hi Nichole, I'm so sorry that you're going to have to go through this, and I'm sorry that this process isn't making things any easier, but I hope that perhaps some perspective will ease your concerns some.

I do remember Anne, our executive director mentioning that *EVERY* woman who has developed preeclampsia will have clots found in their placenta, as it is part of the disease process.

The way that they're starting to think preeclampsia emerges is during the part of pregnancy where the placenta develops and implants in the uterus. The newest science indicates that we may lack a certain protein that helps the blood vessels grow to nourish the placenta- so all the vessels that attach the placenta and feed it don't work right from the beginning. So (again) *ALL* of us are going to have some degree of placental problem.

Does the pathology report mention the color and grade of the placenta? That's the quickest way to assess the health of the placenta, and any infarcts or places where the placenta wasn't working should have been noted. It's possible that your placenta may have been troubled, without it being the cause (directly) of Hunter's passing.

Another area I would look further into would be if they had done any assessments of your amnioic fluid before you delivered. Low amniotic fluid is a complication that can come from hypertension, and if it gets too low, many docs will deliver the baby because the risk of cord accidents is too great. When the amnioic fluid is gone, there is no cushion for the baby when he moves, when you have contractions, etc, and it is possible for the baby to sit on or compress the umbilical cord, cutting off their oxygen supply. My second baby was delivered a month early because my fluid had dropped too low.

Did you have preeclampsia or hypertension? When was your last ultrasound? Were they doing any non-stress testing or biophysical profiles? Those are the things I would look for in your records, to see if there was any sign of what would happen. I hope you will find what you need to find some degree of peace. Please feel free to email me at laura@preeclampsia.org if I can be of any help.

Laura
Moderator/AK Coordinator

Mom to Alicia (severe PE) 5/98 and Camille (htn, oligo) 4/03
http://www.babiesonline.com/babies/c/camilleandallie/
laura

Postby ma2anangel » Sat Apr 03, 2004 05:41 pm

Did you have preeclampsia or hypertension? When was your last ultrasound? Were they doing any non-stress testing or biophysical profiles?

Laura,

I went to Ruby Memorial Hospital for my testing since my hospital wasn't capable of the amount of care that I needed. From what I can tell from the files are that I did have PE and not PIH. My last appointment was just days before he passed away. He was fine, heartbeat good...no ultrasound at that visit. I did have NST's performed, but again - not at that visit. I had tons of ultrasounds, even fetal echocardiograms and nothing was found. However, this was at the earlier stages in my pregnancy. I'll have to go back and sort through all the information (there's a lot) to find out when indeed my last ultrasound was - it gets a little hazy, I think because sometimes I'd rather not remember.

I was hospitalized with my daughter with PE and had all the testing done as well. NST's were fine, heartbeat, ultrasound, etc... but just weeks after that she was born with hardly any fluid. My doctor was baffled - she didn't know that this was going to be the case at all. She thought with the AROM and only a small amount of fluid, that the fluid was contained behind my daughter's head. Good assumption! Also, that once my daughter was born the rest of the fluid would "rush out." However, there wasn't anymore fluid and she didn't have an answer for it at that time.

I've since moved to another state. I should probably request my daughter's files, just to be up to speed. It's interesting what you can find. The reason as to why I requested my son's file wasn't because I wanted to place blame on my doctor. It was because those pages were written about his life. I care that he had a heartbeat of 170 at the 30th week or that he was sucking his thumb via ultrasound on the 20th. It's magical to me because I now have tangible memories that he was a living, breathing baby within me. I just never thought he wouldn't be a living, breathing baby outside of me. [V]

NICHOLE

MAMA TO...

Eleighsa Lynn
&
Hunter Blake
ma2anangel

Return to Ask the Experienced