labile BPs

This section is for discussions with other women who have probably been through the same signs/symptoms that you may be experiencing. Please note, we cannot offer medical advice and encourage members to discuss their concerns with their doctors. New members, come on in and introduce yourself!
donnabw

Re : labile BPs

Postby donnabw » Wed Jun 04, 2008 03:30 pm

I went to ultrasound today. Placenta looked fine, cord flow was good too, baby didn't grow since last week, but I was told it's still normal. Peri was satisfied. Except blood pressure... And some protein issues, but nothing significant. 150mg in 24hrs.

4mybabies

Postby 4mybabies » Wed Jun 04, 2008 10:54 am

I am also very curious about this topic as I think it might be starting to happen with me. Over the weekend I posted that my BP's were really low, even before taking my medication. I was tired and irritable. My meds did not seem to make them any lower, even seemed to trend higher although it might be due to the day's progression. Now they seem to be more in the "stable" region, this is one question I have for my doctor on Friday. It also seems that they are good at home and not so good at the doc's office....this makes me a little nervous.

donnabw

Postby donnabw » Wed Jun 04, 2008 02:10 am

Right, thanks, Caryn. So that's why I have weekly peri appointments, weekly ob appointments and weekly ulrasound... although placenta and cord flow looked fine a week ago. We'll see tomorrow :-(.
The other thing that disturbs me is exhaustion. I'm home, they call it bedrest, but I don't have to be in bed. There's a short list what I can do - and an unlimited one what don't - anyways, when my BP is down, simple things like lifting my hands or typing on the keybord require extra effort. That feels creepy.

caryn
Forum Moderator

Postby caryn » Wed Jun 04, 2008 01:45 am

As I understand it, the idea is that labile BP means the disease process is accelerating. The theory with the strongest empirical support behind it (a bunch of studies) suggests that when the placenta starts to fail it can swing back and forth between hypoxia and non-hypoxia, which means it produces relatively more and less of the chemical proteins thought to cause the symptoms of PE.

SO, what that means is that when bp starts to get labile, it probably means that the placenta's starting to go downhill. That phase can last for a while or can accelerate very quickly, and keeping a close eye on your other symptoms can give you an idea of which one. So they tend to schedule appointments more closely together when the labile phase starts -- more BPPs, more 24-hours, etc. -- and encourage you to report any of the Signs and Symptoms so an Expert can decide whether or not to worry.

korie

Postby korie » Tue Jun 03, 2008 05:36 pm

Oh yes I would like to know about this too, I have the same thing happening. I thought I had heard it can be harder on your baby, but that is all I have heard.

donnabw

labile BPs

Postby donnabw » Tue Jun 03, 2008 05:33 pm

Someone menntioned in another topic that labile BP's aren't good. That's what the peri nurse told me today, but she didn't go into details.
During the past two-three weeks my BP's are going crazy. One day 110s over 70s, next day 140s over 90s. I'm on medication, but sometimes I can't even take it... then it's up again. My echo was fine - although it showed I already have thickened heart walls.
Before it was high but stable for 2-3 months.
Anyone knows more about it?

Return to “Ask the Experienced”