High white blood cell count

This section is for discussions with other women who have probably been through the same signs/symptoms that you may be experiencing. Please note, we cannot offer medical advice and encourage members to discuss their concerns with their doctors. New members, come on in and introduce yourself!

High white blood cell count

Postby tahoe4 » Tue Apr 13, 2004 11:54 am

For the past two weeks my OB has been doing PIH labs for me. She said she did the white blood cell count lab once last week and my level was 16.8 and once again this week and my level was 17.2. Normal levels are less than 11. I don't feel sick and am having no signs of a urinary tract infection. I know white blood cell counts are normally elevated if you have an infection of some kind, but I feel fine. So I have an appt tomorrow with my PCP to investigate this further. I tried researching on the internet about elevated white blood cell counts and I find nothing regarding pregnancy.

Anyone ever experienced this or know what it could be?
tahoe4

Re : High white blood cell count

Postby julie f » Tue Apr 13, 2004 12:11 am

Interesting... After I read your post I just went back and looked at all my labs from the hospital and my white blood count was high the entire time while my red blood count was low. I'd be curious to know too.

Julie (27)
Zachary James, 7/22/03-7/27/03, born at 26wks - severe pe

Southern California Coordinator
julie f

Postby bonnie » Tue Apr 13, 2004 12:17 am

Mine too. Although, my dr said that mine was from a flare of my autoimmune disease. The lowest it was during pregnancy was 15,000 by the time we delivered it was nearing 90,000 (no, I didn't make a typpo with that number [:(]). I felt REALLY sick though, so I don't know if that makes a difference or not.

I'd be curious to see if you can find anything.

Yoni's ima

Yonatan 7/10/2002 (35 weeks PE)

CHECK OUT MY WEBSITE . . .
http://rosenbloom.homeip.net/yoni
bonnie
Forum Moderator

Postby sandy » Tue Apr 13, 2004 12:39 am

There was a discussion here within the last few months about taking Aldomet, which is also called Methyldopa, and increased white blood cell count.

This happened to me in either the first or second trimester...and there was no cause found for the increased white blood cell count. I was taking Aldomet at the time.

Hmm....

~Sandy/DD born via emergency C at 35 wks/1 day June '03 due to Severe PE/class III HELLP/chronic HBP/asthma
sandy

Postby laura » Tue Apr 13, 2004 12:42 am

I seem to remember that one of my docs said that pregnancy can cause your wbc count to increase, especially near term and most of my labs were slightly elevated as well

Laura
Moderator/AK Coordinator

Mom to Alicia (severe PE) 5/98 and Camille (htn, oligo) 4/03
http://www.babiesonline.com/babies/c/camilleandallie/
laura

Postby tahoe4 » Tue Apr 13, 2004 12:43 am

I saw that discussion on Aldomet. I looked on WebMD and it mentioned something about elevated WBC count could be elevated as an allergic response to medication. I'm on Lovenox so I looked on the website for Lovenox and I didn't find anything about WBC. But I think if I was allergic to the medication, I'd have some reaction, plus I've been on it for 4 months with no problems.

The whole thing is just so strange...
tahoe4

Postby sherry fisher » Tue Apr 13, 2004 05:02 pm

When My platelets were coming back low and I had my stay in the hospital, the nurse left my chart in my room for a min. YOu better believe, I quickly snatched it up to look at the lab work. The lab computer automatically puts a L or H for low or high next to anything that is off according to their standards. I remember my white and red blood count was off too! I did not ask what that meant. I just assumed that they knew what they were doing. Hmmmm...but that does make me wonder now?!

Sherry Fisher (28)
DH: Bill (35)
Proud Mama to:
#1) Alex 1/1/94-PE
#2) Abbie 12/17/97-PIH
#3 Will 08/03/02-PP PE
#4) Anna 04/06/04 - PE
http://www.babiesonline.com/babies/b/babyfish3/
Baby Annna;
http://www.babiesonline.com/babies/b/babyfish4/
sherry fisher

Postby jjbeck1 » Tue Apr 13, 2004 07:37 pm

My WBC is almost always high. Not sure why.
I think I recall my OB telling me it is normal in PG.

Jen 32
DH Bob 36

EDD 5/17/04

http://babygirl.aokwebhost4free.com
jjbeck1

Postby tahoe4 » Wed Apr 14, 2004 12:18 am

I saw my GP today about my WBC count. I told him about a lump I have under my arm and he thinks it may be a swollen lymph node. So he's putting me on antibiotics for a week to see if my numbers decrease any. He did say that in some pregnancies an elevated WBC count is normal, but he thinks the level mine is at is beyond the normal mark. He said if the lump doesn't go away by next week I have to go see my hematologist.

So we'll see what happens next week...
tahoe4

Return to Ask the Experienced