Hypothyroid/Hashimoto's/Graves???

Are you considering having another child after preeclampsia? Trying again after preeclampsia can be an emotional challenge. You can find support with others who share your concerns here.

Hypothyroid/Hashimoto's/Graves???

Postby kim » Sat Jun 28, 2008 11:42 pm

Hello All,

I absolutely CANNOT believe that I am posting in this forum, but since my "baby" starts kindergarten this year, I'm getting the baby bug.

I had severe pre-e/Hellp with Ainsley. My bp was constantly high until a year ago, when a doc finally discovered that I had Graves and Hashimoto's diseases. I had my thyroid removed via radiation and my bp is finally normal again. I'm medicated (Armour Thyroid) and actually feel healthy for the first time since my pregnancy.

I'm just curious about the others out there that are/were hypo or have Hashis or Graves.. What were your pregnancy outcomes after being treated?

Thanks,
Kim
kim

Re : Hypothyroid/Hashimoto's/Graves???

Postby onesock » Sat Jun 28, 2008 11:47 pm

One of my very best friends has Hashi/Graves and she has 3 beautiful children...all uneventful pregnancies. They did monitor her very carefully because they had to reduce her meds...I know she is on thyroid, as well as something else. Anyway, she did great. :)
BTW...how were you diagnosed and what were your symptoms that raised enough suspision to test?
Sooo excited about you getting the baby bug :)
onesock

Postby julie f » Sun Jun 29, 2008 10:47 am

Kim,
No experience to offer but I wanted to say HEY! Good to see you!
julie f

Postby sarab » Sun Jun 29, 2008 12:48 am

KIM!! Like Julie, I have no advice/experience (how helpful am I? :p), but wanted to say that it's great to "see" you!

I can't believe Ainsley's going to kindergarten soon! Maggie starts this year, too, and it is surreal to say the least.
sarab
Site Admin

Postby kim » Sun Jun 29, 2008 05:23 pm

Thanks Ladies!

I was diagnosed after 4 years of high blood pressure (even medicated) and a high pulse rate. I had always been borderline hyperthyroid, but no doc ever treated it. I have a wonderful progressive doctor here that specializes in Hashimoto's and he's on the fence about another pregnancy. He has seen them either go really well after treatment or even worse (which I can't imagine). We'll see. I still have my trusty IUD :-)
kim

Postby batwormus » Mon Jun 30, 2008 08:34 am

hi, i actually do have hypothyroidism, it's non-hashimoto's (i was tested for anti-thyroid antibodies and it came back negative twice), and it was unmasked during my second pregnancy, although had tons of symptoms for most of my adolescence and young adulthood. it went back to normal after second pregnancy, but stuck around for good after the third. we are now almost trying for the fourth (about to rip up the kitchen, trying to lose 10 pounds before, so not not trying...). anyway, my need for thyroid medication goes up in pregnancy, and even if not pregnant, if my tsh and/or t4 are even slightly off (for me, tsh should be below 2, t4 should be around 1.3 - 1.5), my blood pressure goes up. my internist and ob (i just switched, i realized i didn't trust my old one to get me through a high-risk pregnancy, which was one of my main causes for trepidation regarding having a 4th) have both told me, "you know, thyroid problems can contribute to pe"). however, this is the first pregnancy where my thyroid will have been well-controlled during pregnancy, i got my old labs, and my thyroid near delivery both times it was checked showed clinically-low t4, and sub-clinically high tsh (2.8 ish, current recommendations as stated my my docs are 0.3 - 3.0), so it is really everyone's hope that if i can keep the thyroid under strict control this time (especially after delivery), my outcomes will stay similar or improve somewhat (i delivered at 37, 34, and 37 weeks, with post-partum pree all three times). my medical care plan includes monthly checks pre-conception, and thyroid and blood pressure checks twice a month (or even more often as needed) once i become pregnant, with the expectation that i will be on blood pressure medication the whole time, as well. they have both really let me know how high-risk i am ("are you sure you want to have another one?" and "i can't prevent you from getting pregnant," are some of the statements that have come out of both their mouths), but i am determined.
anyway, sorry for the long reply, i guess i just figured i would share what i had going on, in the hopes that some of it would help you. i have never had an identified auto-immune component to my thyroid issues, nor have i had graves' disease (however, i have a friend with graves' disease who had two term, non-pree pregnancies), so my issues might be only peripherally relevant.

good luck.

jen
pree X3, postpartum pree X3
batwormus

Postby sheri-ct » Mon Jun 30, 2008 10:35 am

Hi Kim,

I have Hashimoto's with Hypo. It wasn't daignosed until after I had pre-e. I am now on meds and hoping for a better outcome this time.

Good luck!

Sheri
sheri-ct
Forum Moderator

Postby 4mybabies » Mon Jun 30, 2008 10:49 am

I have been diagnosed with hypo for about 10 years now, and on meds. My mom and 2 sisters also have hypo and my mom and at least one sister have Hashimoto's. For the life of me, I am not sure if I have Hashimotos, but I will be asking my doctor at my next appointment. I had to increase my med dose after my last pregnancy. So far in this pregnancy (27 weeks) I have had to increase my dose three times. My OB is checking my levels every 6 weeks. It seems that my thyroid is taking a dump slowly, not sure if it will return once this baby is delivered. You bring up an interesting point, I was not aware that thyroid function could be related to htn...I will also be asking about this.

To answer your question, I have had 2 healthy births so far. I have a growth check us tomorrow for #3, but as far as I know, so far so good on this one. Also, I was surprised to learn that hypo can affect fertility...this is also something I am thankful that I have not had a problem with. Good luck to you and I look forward to seeing this thread unfold :)
4mybabies

Postby kim » Tue Jul 01, 2008 01:10 am

Thanks ladies! My doc said that I would have to go up on thyroid meds and that most women need to double or triple. Also, now that I am hypo, I'm not sure if I could even get pregnant again. First try last time, but that was with hyperthyroidism.
kim

Return to Trying Again after Preeclampsia