Post Reply FAQ Members Login

Steroids for Lung Development

This section is for discussions with other women who have probably been through the same signs/symptoms that you may be experiencing. Please note, we cannot offer medical advice and encourage members to discuss their concerns with their doctors. New members, come on in and introduce yourself!

Steroids for Lung Development

Postby kelly w » Fri Jul 25, 2008 10:35 pm

OK, it sounds like I'll be having the steroid shots for lung development in about a week and a half.

I have not had this before - can anyone share their experience? How is it administered? How does it work to help the baby's lungs?

Also, does anyone know if there are any negative side effects to this, for either me or my baby?

Thanks!

Kelly
kelly w

Re : Steroids for Lung Development

Postby willow&sam » Fri Jul 25, 2008 10:53 pm

I have no info to give but I can't wait to see what others say. I'd love to know more in case I'm suddenly faced with such a situation.
willow&sam

Postby hhbeachgurl » Fri Jul 25, 2008 11:02 pm

I had mine at 29 weeks. They are two shots administered 24 hours apart. They work by helping to speed up lung development. I remeber they hurt a little, but that is all. I really didn't have any sie effects and while Ansley was not delivered a few days later like they had thought while administering them. I do believe they helped as at 35 weeks when she was born she needed no help breathing. HUGS to you
hhbeachgurl

Postby herewegoagain » Fri Jul 25, 2008 11:39 pm

Mine were administered in my rear end (is that what you were referring to???). I had two shots 24 hours apart as well. I don't recall any side effects, but I truly believe that it benefited my son's health when he was born. I almost felt like it made him a little more ready for the "real world" before he should have been ready. Does that make sense? Good luck!
herewegoagain

Postby patty » Sat Jul 26, 2008 00:39 am

I had them at 27 weeks this time and at 31 weeks the time before that. They sting a little going in but that is all. I also got 2 each time 24 hours apart. The only(good)side effect I noticed was that the carpal tunnel I had seemed to get better but that my have been due to the bedrest as well. I am not sure how much good they did this last time as my baby who was born at 31 weeks still had RDS and significant lung issues. My 34 weeker did not have any issues though and came home in a week so perhaps he got some benefit out of them.

I always thought they were more effective if given right before you actually delivered and it was a 3 and 4 week gap between the time they were administered to me and when I ultimately delivered so it is hard to tell what effect they had.
patty

Postby aundapenner » Sat Jul 26, 2008 05:26 am

Mine were also in given in the butt. And I remember saying ouch. The worst part of what I remember is that the nurse administering them (I was on the high-risk ob floor) was a tall, slim, beautiful, pregnant woman who didn't look like she'd had one complication her entire pregnancy. That part hurt a bit more than anything else.

I attribute the steroids plus laboring to Henry not requiring any breathing assistance - he was always on room air - not bad for being born at 34 weeks!
aundapenner

Postby hols537 » Sat Jul 26, 2008 07:55 am

My nurse said they would hurt, so she iced me up before giving them. So, they didn't hurt going in. I was slightly sore for a day or so after, but nothing bad.

In addition to helping the lungs mature, I also heard from a neonatologist that it also reduces the risk for brain bleeds after birth.

My son came out screaming and never needed anything more than a cannula for a day and had no brain bleeds either. I was given them at almost 31 weeks.

I have read about some differing thoughts about when they are most beneficial - some doctors feel that they need to be repeated if the baby hasn't delivered within some period (I think 2 weeks) because they give the most benefit in the first week or so after being administered, but I've also seen studies that said there was no benefit to readministering.

I haven't heard of any negative effects for the babies.
hols537

Postby blythe » Sat Jul 26, 2008 08:09 am

No personal experience here, but I found some links for you - maybe too much information ;->. My non-expert summary is that there is some data concerning the risks of multiple shots (over weeks and weeks - and Caryn points out those studies are likely "confounded" by other prematurity factors) BUT so far the research shows the precautionary dose you'll be getting has no risks to baby or you!

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18536142
Antenatal betamethasone: reassuring long-term data.
Maternal steroid injections shortly before premature delivery reduce the risk of neonatal respiratory distress syndrome. A 30-year follow-up study of subjects exposed to betamethasone in utero showed no impact of this treatment on cardiovascular, mental, pulmonary or bone function.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18188800
Incidence of respiratory disorders in neonates born between 34 and 36 weeks of gestation following exposure to antenatal corticosteroids between 24 and 34 weeks of gestation.
The beneficial effects of corticosteroids were similar in both genders. It appears that the exposure of singleton pregnancies to antenatal corticosteroids between 24 and 34 weeks of gestation is associated with a significantly lower incidence of respiratory disorders among neonates born at 34 to 36 weeks of gestation.

Expert response:
http://www.preeclampsia.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2465
Steroids for accelerating fetal lung maturity are given as either two injections 24 hours apart (betamethasone), or 4-8 injections every 6-12 hours (dexamethasone). The betamethasone regimen is preferred. The maximum benefit for fetal lung maturation is seen 24 hours after the last dose is given and persists for at least 7 days. At present, repetitive dosing is not recommended. Corticosteroids at these doses will adversely affect blood sugar, but adjusting insulin dosage will control this and the fetal benefits tend outweigh the maternal metabolic risks. Blood glucose control will usually return to near baseline levels within 4-5 days.

http://www.preeclampsia.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=28153 - Can Steroid shot hurt baby?
http://www.preeclampsia.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=7693 - Steroids for babies' lungs questions

and finally...
http://www.webmd.com/baby/antenatal-corticosteroids-for-fetal-lung-development

I'm glad your new doc is so proactive! Hang in there!
blythe

Postby purplefrogger » Sat Jul 26, 2008 10:56 am

I really don't remember what they felt like but it was 2 shots 24 hrs. apart and we dilivered like just a few hours after the second shot. We had done an amnio. the morning before and it showed his lungs we not developed. I also had Gestational Diabetes so that makes the lungs not mature as fast. Anyway I had him at 35 weeks and he was on oxygen for like 6 hours so I think that that was really good. So I am totally for the shots.
purplefrogger

Postby amarah » Sat Jul 26, 2008 01:01 pm

I only made it long enough to have one. But It is a shot that goes into your muscle I believe, and mine was put in my but/upperthigh area (they all blend together lol) And I dont wanna make it sound scarey but it hurt like heck. Although at 34 weeks my daughter needed no help breathing.
amarah

Next

Return to Ask the Experienced