Is an MRI safe while pregnant???

This section is for discussions with other women who have probably been through the same signs/symptoms that you may be experiencing. Please note, we cannot offer medical advice and encourage members to discuss their concerns with their doctors. New members, come on in and introduce yourself!

Is an MRI safe while pregnant???

Postby jokell » Thu Apr 29, 2004 08:00 pm

Went to neurologist today for my headaches that WON'T go away and he set up an MRI for Mon. I'm 31 weeks pregnant so he seemed to think it would be alright for my baby since it's not the 1st trimester. What I've seen on the internet is that no one really knows if it could harm the baby. It seems like a risk I'm not sure about taking. I really want an answer to why I'm having these headaches but I wish there was another way to find out without possible risks.

He also prescribed Demerol since acetemtaphine, Tylenol 3, and the darviset they gave me at the hospital didn't work. I'm not going to take it though. I've been toughing them out for 4 weeks now so what's another poss. 7???[xx(]

I don't want to take any unessesary risks. Have any of you experienced headaches that won't go away??? I've also been on Labetalol since Tues. night and it's "supposed" to keep headaches at bay. No success though[:(]

[?]Have any of you had an MRI in your 3rd trimester???

Thanks for reading. Sorry to complain![:I]

Kelly 25
Rylee 3
Edd 7/3/04
jokell

Re : Is an MRI safe while pregnant???

Postby hannahsmom » Thu Apr 29, 2004 08:37 pm

Hi, Kelly! I suffer from migranes. My doc ok'd Lortab while I was pregnant. I did take it a few times. When I had pre-e I started out thinking I had a migrane but then the doc discovered the pre-e. Anyway, I feel your pain! I don't know about the MRI. What does your OB say?

Suzanne
Mommy to Miss Hannah Rose
26.5 weeker born 8/24/01
severe pre-e & IUGR
1 pound, 1 ounce
12 inches
Miracles do happen!
hannahsmom

Postby julie f » Thu Apr 29, 2004 09:52 pm

On the day that I started losing some vision, the peri and neurologist ordered a CT Scan and an MRI. (I was 25wks and a couple days) They both assured me that it would not hurt the baby.

I hope you're feeling better soon!! Let us know how it goes.

Julie (27)
Zachary James, 7/22/03-7/27/03, born at 26wks - severe pe

Praying for a miracle... TTC #2 is a go!

Southern California Coordinator
julie f

Postby joedonna » Fri Apr 30, 2004 02:34 pm

I was 27wks with bad headaches & blurred vision when the nuerologist ordered an MRI with contrast. I asked my o/b what she thought of it and said it was ok to do.When I got up there to have the MRI done the resident doctor said it is perfectly ok to do an mri w/o contrast and only and again I say only when you are in danger will they do with contrast. How ignorant those doctors are!!!!
I already had the needle in me !!
joedonna

Postby jokell » Fri Apr 30, 2004 04:46 pm

Sorry, but what's a contrast?

Kelly
jokell

Postby joedonna » Sat May 01, 2004 10:58 pm

With contrast is when they insert a certain liquod/chemical into your bloodflow through the intravenous that kind of blows up your veins so that they get very clear pictures/results.
joedonna

Postby michaela » Tue May 04, 2004 10:50 am

Contrast is a radioactive dye that is used to "flourese" when subjected to xray. the dye for mri is slightly different, however all these contrasts can induce an allergic reaction in patients. I took radiographs and mammograms for 10 years and I only saw maybe 2 or 3 reactions because the dye has been improved but I agree, when pregnant it should only be used if the benefit of the exam outways any risk.

Michaela 34
DH Ken 37
DS Joshua 7 yrs
DD Kennedy 4 yrs
DD Kathryn 3yrs
Our little angel Jared 34 wks stillborn 10/31/03 due to PE
michaela

Return to Ask the Experienced