shoulder pain after emergency c-section

This section is for discussions with other women who have probably been through the same signs/symptoms that you may be experiencing. Please note, we cannot offer medical advice and encourage members to discuss their concerns with their doctors. New members, come on in and introduce yourself!

shoulder pain after emergency c-section

Postby sladann » Mon Oct 06, 2008 00:04 am

Has anyone experienced intense shoulder pain after a c-section? I had my little girl at 28.5 weeks due to severe pre-eclampsia. I ended up having a c-section and afterwards had unbelievable intense referred pain in my left shoulder, radiating down my arm to my hand. Doctors said that often happens and that it should go away in a day or two. I was in the hospital for a full week in order to get my BP down low enough to release me & the pain in my shoulder never quit. I took percocet every 4 hours and was in tears begging for more by hour 3 every time. I took percocet for 3 weeks after the c-section and was unable to sleep unless sitting up. I went to a physical therapist who gave me some exercises, but frankly I'm confused why this is still hurting me a year after the c-section. Certainly not to the same degree...but it continues to be an issue for me. Has anyone else experienced this? Do you know what could have caused it & any suggestions on doctors/treatment?
sladann

Re : shoulder pain after emergency c-section

Postby julie f » Mon Oct 06, 2008 01:59 am

I'm not in any way a doctor but am wondering, did they ever explore the possibility of nerve damage?
julie f

Postby mommyof3boys » Mon Oct 06, 2008 08:57 am

I'm thinking the same as Julie. Wondering if it is possible when you had the C, whether if when they gave you your epi or spinal if something got "nicked" during that process?

Have you been to see a neurologist?
mommyof3boys

Postby jenanderson » Mon Oct 06, 2008 09:15 am

after my section I had severe pain in my side, it ended up that they think they put a dissolvable stitch in my right urether. I know it's not the same, but it is possible that they put an errant stitch where it's causing you more referred pain. I ended up with 2 surgeries to correct the problema and the Ob still says it couldn't possibly have been from the surgery. Well let me tell ya this, when I went into surgery that day, I had plenty of pain else where, but when it was done this was the kind of pain you feel through the spinal. If it doesn't get better go see a different doc, sometimes a new perspective helps! Mine was an ER Doc who took the time to find the problem.
jenanderson

Postby crystalw » Mon Oct 06, 2008 09:42 am

A lot of patients complain of shoulder pain. It's usually from the gas they pump in your stomach in order to visualize everything clearly. I'm not sure if they do that during a c-section but thats what it sounds like to me.. especially because your doctor said it happpens.. but a year later?? Maybe you should be re-evaluated. Weird question.. but do you still have your gallbladder?? Every once in a great while we get a patient who is hurting on the left instead of the right. Good luck!
crystalw

Postby sladann » Mon Oct 06, 2008 08:22 pm

So far nobody has mentioned nerve damage. How do you go about checking to see whether that could be the issue? Any ideas?
sladann

Postby mommyof3boys » Mon Oct 06, 2008 09:46 pm

sladann, I would see if your doctor can refer you to a neurologist in your area. They deal with all kinds of nerve issues and will probably send you for an MRI and or other testing to see if they can pinpoint the problem.
mommyof3boys

Postby sladann » Tue Oct 07, 2008 00:04 am

Thanks everyone for all of your input. I do still have my gall bladder btw. I will go ahead & try to find a neurologist who can look at the continued pain. Many thanks!
sladann

Re: shoulder pain after emergency c-section

Postby amytamargo » Fri May 06, 2011 10:29 am

Hello I know this like 3 years later, but I am dealing with the same thing and no one can give me answers. My shoulder hurts EVERY SINGLE DAY AND NIGHT. and they say there is nothing wrong, the doctor says "try a supportive bra" yeah i wanted to punch her after that! I wanted to see how your shoulder was doing now, and what you did about it? Was it nerve damage?? What doctors did you see and what procedures did you get done? I have had a MRI done and an X RAY and all she saw was a few small spurs of arthritis, but she didn't think that was causing my extreme pain. I know that my shoulder pain is a result of my c-section/epidural cause i never had pain in my shoulder before and now after pain all the time. PLEASE HELP!!!!!! Thank you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
amytamargo

Re: shoulder pain after emergency c-section

Postby riehlism » Fri May 06, 2011 06:36 pm

The pain that you are describing does sound nervy. However, nerve pain that goes in the shoulder is typically coming from the neck. There are no nerves that travel from the lower lumbar spine that have attachments to the arm. Your physical therapist gave you postural exercises, which is good (since poor posture can essentially crush nerves as they exit). However, you probably need to find a physical therapist who does manual therapy where they actually put their hands on your neck and assess movement to see if a nerve is caught there somewhere. Just speaking from an anatomical perspective. Plus, it's also hard to find a good PT. They are few and far between in my experience.
Jasmin: Severe PE/HELLP and delivered at 24+6 & PCOS (29) Hubby Bubby, Frank (29)
Baby Blue stopped in to say hello and goodbye on 6/3/10
Baby Lucas was born on 10/13/11, PE and HELLP-free! Thank you baby aspirin and Lovenox
http://www.ehd.org/pregnancy-calendar.php?id=18192
riehlism

Next

Return to Ask the Experienced