shoulder pain after emergency c-section

This section is for discussions with other women who have probably been through the same signs/symptoms that you may be experiencing. Please note, we cannot offer medical advice and encourage members to discuss their concerns with their doctors. New members, come on in and introduce yourself!
caryn
Forum Moderator

Re: shoulder pain after emergency c-section

Postby caryn » Fri Jan 06, 2012 08:07 am

Have your liver enzymes been evaluated recently? As Catherine says, HELLP pain can refer to the shoulder, and although postpartum that should heal quickly, I'm wondering if yours are just dropping more slowly than average...
Science! The articles you don't want to miss:
The Preeclampsia Puzzle (New Yorker) and Silent Struggle: A New Theory of Pregnancy (New York Times)
Looking for recent articles and studies?
A chance to participate in research? For us on Facebook or Twitter?

Caryn, @carynjrogers, who is not a doctor and who talks about science stuff *way* too much
DS Oscar born by emergent C-section at 34 weeks for fetal indicators, due to severe PE
DD Bridget born by C-section after water broke at 39 weeks after a healthy pregnancy

adricard

Postby adricard » Mon Jan 02, 2012 09:55 pm

I was wondering if you ever found a solution to your problem as I am going through this now. This has been going on for over two weeks and I'm at my witt's end. I have gotten cortizone shots in my shoulder and deltoid and while the pain is better and I can manage to sleep a little, it isn't completely gone. I've gotten an xray which came out normal and have an MRI scheduled in two days. I've also been told to explore the idea of this being a psychosomatic pain. Any little bit of advice would help. Thanks.

catherine
Forum Moderator

Postby catherine » Sat May 07, 2011 08:06 pm

One final explanation for your shoulder pain is that it was directly associated with your severe pre-eclampsia. You may not be aware but pain from your liver can be referred to your shoulder. Do you know if your liver enzymes were elevated during the worst of your illness?

That said, this problem usually heals as soon as your liver does so it seems pretty unlikely as an explanation for your current problems. I just thought I'd mention it here in case someone currently dealing with preeclampsia was experiencing sudden onset shoulder pain and thinking..."what now..what more do I have to put up with?". If you were that person I'd be advising a call to your health care providers..pronto!
Mom to Finn, Lucy (HELLP syndrome) and Chloe

lilysmommymindy

Postby lilysmommymindy » Sat May 07, 2011 08:49 am

Tree hugged = tree hugger. <--- autocorrect sux
Mindy

DD#1 Lily Adrianna: 8/28/08 Born 36wks 0days due to Class 2 HELLP Syndrome and Severe Preeclampsia via csection. 4lbs 10oz 17in
Fortunate to have a healthy baby and mommy, no NICU needed.

DD#2: Tatum Nicole: 8/6/10 Born 39wks 5days Scheduled CSection Preeclampsia and HELLP FREE!
7lbs 3oz 20in
Took Baby Asprin between weeks 20-36 and was co-monitored by MFM & OBGYN

lilysmommymindy

Postby lilysmommymindy » Sat May 07, 2011 08:48 am

Okay, I don't mean to sound too much like a tree hugged, but have you tried any alternative medicine like acupuncture? When western medicine gives up on you sometimes it's time to find an alternative. My mom has chronic pain from a complete spinal cord injury and RSD and recently started acupuncture and has found relief, it's worth a shot!
Mindy

DD#1 Lily Adrianna: 8/28/08 Born 36wks 0days due to Class 2 HELLP Syndrome and Severe Preeclampsia via csection. 4lbs 10oz 17in
Fortunate to have a healthy baby and mommy, no NICU needed.

DD#2: Tatum Nicole: 8/6/10 Born 39wks 5days Scheduled CSection Preeclampsia and HELLP FREE!
7lbs 3oz 20in
Took Baby Asprin between weeks 20-36 and was co-monitored by MFM & OBGYN

riehlism

Postby riehlism » Fri May 06, 2011 06:36 pm

The pain that you are describing does sound nervy. However, nerve pain that goes in the shoulder is typically coming from the neck. There are no nerves that travel from the lower lumbar spine that have attachments to the arm. Your physical therapist gave you postural exercises, which is good (since poor posture can essentially crush nerves as they exit). However, you probably need to find a physical therapist who does manual therapy where they actually put their hands on your neck and assess movement to see if a nerve is caught there somewhere. Just speaking from an anatomical perspective. Plus, it's also hard to find a good PT. They are few and far between in my experience.
Jasmin: Severe PE/HELLP and delivered at 24+6 & PCOS (29) Hubby Bubby, Frank (29)
Baby Blue stopped in to say hello and goodbye on 6/3/10
Baby Lucas was born on 10/13/11, PE and HELLP-free! Thank you baby aspirin and Lovenox
http://www.ehd.org/pregnancy-calendar.php?id=18192

amytamargo

Postby amytamargo » Fri May 06, 2011 10:29 am

Hello I know this like 3 years later, but I am dealing with the same thing and no one can give me answers. My shoulder hurts EVERY SINGLE DAY AND NIGHT. and they say there is nothing wrong, the doctor says "try a supportive bra" yeah i wanted to punch her after that! I wanted to see how your shoulder was doing now, and what you did about it? Was it nerve damage?? What doctors did you see and what procedures did you get done? I have had a MRI done and an X RAY and all she saw was a few small spurs of arthritis, but she didn't think that was causing my extreme pain. I know that my shoulder pain is a result of my c-section/epidural cause i never had pain in my shoulder before and now after pain all the time. PLEASE HELP!!!!!! Thank you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

sladann

Re : shoulder pain after emergency c-section

Postby sladann » Tue Oct 07, 2008 00:04 am

Thanks everyone for all of your input. I do still have my gall bladder btw. I will go ahead & try to find a neurologist who can look at the continued pain. Many thanks!

mommyof3boys

Postby mommyof3boys » Mon Oct 06, 2008 09:46 pm

sladann, I would see if your doctor can refer you to a neurologist in your area. They deal with all kinds of nerve issues and will probably send you for an MRI and or other testing to see if they can pinpoint the problem.

sladann

Postby sladann » Mon Oct 06, 2008 08:22 pm

So far nobody has mentioned nerve damage. How do you go about checking to see whether that could be the issue? Any ideas?

Return to “Ask the Experienced”