Exercise in preg. linked to fatal raised blood pre

The Preeclampsia Foundation does not necessarily endorse any research or news found in this forum, we just want to share what is out there. Please use your own discretion to evaluate any information you find here.
sdeut

Re : Exercise in preg. linked to fatal raised blood pre

Postby sdeut » Tue Dec 09, 2008 04:16 pm

I am a teacher also. I think with all the walking we doing and standing throughout our day it must count as exersize. I always loose weight at the beginning of the school year!

darateacher

Postby darateacher » Tue Dec 09, 2008 02:14 pm

No kidding, kbunsey, about the pedometers! Our school used to be a high school, so there's a LOT of hallway and stairs to walk. Thank goodness, there's an elevator, too! I'm just hoping that my walking the halls qualifies as the 30mins. of exercise.

kbunsey

Postby kbunsey » Tue Dec 09, 2008 01:30 pm

I don't know but I'm a school teacher and my BP was up today. My kids were SO needy today. The next 2 weeksa re ridiculous b4 Christmas! I hid in the library for a 10-minute left side rest. I'm not pregnant now, but am practicing for when I am. I spend my whole day walking around as a teacher. Maybe we should get pedometers.

darateacher

Postby darateacher » Tue Dec 09, 2008 11:22 am

Does walking up and down the huge hallways of my school count as exercise? I'm serious! I haven't actually been out for a walk in a while due to being tired after work...tired and hungry. :-)

sckitzo

Postby sckitzo » Tue Dec 09, 2008 09:35 am

Huh Makes me wonder,

with my First I would power walk, for 1/2 hour at lunch, at work. Then I would take about 30/45 min walk when I got home I was working full time, and had a part time job, plus full time school, so I had no such thing as lesure time.

With my second,I was doing "the Firm" witch is a 1 hour high cardio workout, about 5-6 days a week. Plus I was working full time with a 14 month old, and very involved with things, so maybe I was over doing it, but it didn't effect me until PE hit. Can anyone recap want they found about leizure time?

kbunsey

Postby kbunsey » Mon Dec 08, 2008 03:13 pm

So confusing!!! I did read some studiy that said "stretching exercises" were better than "walking" (walking being typically prescribed for women w/ CHT and/or risk for PE) - the article said the "stretching" group had lowered risk for PE than the "walking" group. So...again, confusing.

Thank you for keeping us updated. I know I'm trying to find out all the "things I can do" before my next pregnancy and then I have to just leave the rest to the Big Leap!

sdeut

Postby sdeut » Mon Dec 08, 2008 01:39 pm

So it just gives me an excuse to sit on my butt during pg. (Not)

panguitch02

Postby panguitch02 » Mon Dec 08, 2008 01:38 pm

Wow. I would get on my eliptical at home 5 days a week and go full force. I started to notice that the veins on my hands looked like they could burst out...they were so full of blood. I thought it was weird, but wrote it off as high blood volume. Maybe I was causing more hard then good.

caryn
Forum Moderator

Postby caryn » Mon Dec 08, 2008 01:29 pm

That's the thing. :-) They *thought*, because of a whole bunch of older epidemiology, that exercise was likely to be protective against preeclampsia. As the researcher in the article says, one of the primary justifications for recommending exercise in pregnancy has been that it's been thought to reduce PE risk.

Except this new study says it makes your odds *worse* if you get too much. And in a dose-response relationship, too.

In this study, which was basically just an analysis of the data in a big database of pregnant women's reported health histories, exercising for more than half an hour a day was statistically significantly associated with developing severe preeclampsia. And the more exercise you got above that half-hour, the more likely you were to get severe preeclampsia.

The hardest exercisers were at around a 30% chance of developing PE.

Whoa. The idea was that it would shut down a hyperactive immune response (that's a thing we know is true about exercise) but apparently it just pisses off the uterine killer cells or something.

_Fit Pregnancy_ should be interesting to watch next month, huh?

darateacher

Postby darateacher » Sat Dec 06, 2008 05:40 pm

Ok...I'm confused now. Exercising can prevent PE? Or will it promote PE? Or exercise doesn't help predict the outcome either way?

Return to “Announcements and Preeclampsia in the News”