Post Reply FAQ Members Login

Pitting edema and a +2

This section is for discussions with other women who have probably been through the same signs/symptoms that you may be experiencing. Please note, we cannot offer medical advice and encourage members to discuss their concerns with their doctors. New members, come on in and introduce yourself!

Pitting edema and a +2

Postby momaofson » Sun Mar 01, 2009 01:37 am

by momaofson (180 Posts), Sun Mar 01, 2009 01:37 am

So I went back to L&D today contractions on and off and felt incredible pressure right in my inner thighs. I am still the same no change for now which is disappointing.

They did a urine dip and it came back +2 what does this number mean and what could it indicate? I had a 24 hour urine done this week and it came back 357.

I went in on Wednesday due to sudden severen swelling. I can no longer wear my shoes. Have to wear slippers. They were very concerned that I was starting to show signs of PIH. Plus my feet and my legs continue to swell. I just started noticing yesterday that if I press on my legs it leaves an indent for quite a while. Is this something I should be concerned about? I have a NST on monday should I wait and tell the nurses or should I call my doctor before I go in?

Has anyone else had this? Is it bad for it to be all over in your legs?
momaofson

Re : Pitting edema and a +2

Postby alviarin » Sun Mar 01, 2009 12:37 am

by alviarin (1651 Posts), Sun Mar 01, 2009 12:37 am

I would call about the pitting edema. And the +2 dip. Did they run any PE/PIH bloodwork at L&D this morning?

Your doc might want to run more tests or for you to start another 24 hour urine today, but the only way to know for sure is to call and ask.

alviarin
Forum Moderator

Postby momaofson » Sun Mar 01, 2009 03:50 pm

by momaofson (180 Posts), Sun Mar 01, 2009 03:50 pm

Who do I call? My doctor is not on call this weekend. They ran lab work on Wednesday when I was in there. They said everthing came back just fine. I forgot to mention the pitting edema when I was in there yesterday cause we were only there to see if I was dialated anymore.

The +2 was at the hospital. I asked what it could mean and she told me that skin cells could make that reading. Is that true? I thought it was only for protein.

Also along with my feet and legs swelling I have been noticing that my hands get really hot and feel like they are swelling and do swell. I cant tell how much. I know that when I go to bend my fingers my skin feels really tight and it hurts.

I have not done any other lab work or anything since wednesday. I think I might call my doctor tomorow morning before my stress test to tell her about the pitting edema in my legs. The nurses that do my NST dont seem to worry to much or care when I bring up my symptoms to them.

Any other input? Has anyone else had these signs with no high blood pressure? Headache, flashing lights (visual disturbances), swelling, protein in urine. Do you have to have the high blood pressure before they will take all the other signs seriously?
momaofson

Postby goldiemom » Mon Mar 02, 2009 01:01 am

by goldiemom (15 Posts), Mon Mar 02, 2009 01:01 am

Are you drinking enough water? I have never personally experienced pitting edema, but know that it can sometimes happen if you aren't drinking enough. I have no idea about skin cells causing high readings. I wouldn't think that you would have to have the high bp in order for the other signs to be taken seriously, but if you aren't getting anywhere with the nurses, I would ask to speak to a dr. If nothing else, they should be able to put your mind at ease.
goldiemom

Postby momaofson » Mon Mar 02, 2009 04:36 am

by momaofson (180 Posts), Mon Mar 02, 2009 04:36 am

I drink lots of water. Have three pitchers of water in the fridge fully stocked. I am going to call my doctor in the morning before I go to my NST.
momaofson

Postby caryn » Mon Mar 02, 2009 10:46 am

by caryn (10131 Posts), Mon Mar 02, 2009 10:46 am

The symptoms don't move in lockstep; you don't have to have high blood pressure to be sick.

Your 24-hour reading is now over the diagnostic line for preeclampsia, which is at 300 mg./24 hours. A +2, IIRC, means 100 mg/dL in that sample of urine.

Keep us posted as you're able; I hope you're able to discuss this with your doc today.
caryn
Forum Moderator

Postby momaofson » Mon Mar 02, 2009 06:28 pm

by momaofson (180 Posts), Mon Mar 02, 2009 06:28 pm

Well I went in for my NST and at first the baby was not doing anything but they still said they passed. They checked my legs and since both of them are pitting they ordered lab work. They did not order a 24 hour urine collection. They said all my labs came back fine and so I was technically not sick with pre-e. But that pitting edema is not good so if I have to get up during the day make it for thirty minute intervals and then rest with my feet up.

Do I have pre-e if my protein is up or does it mean its right around
the corner? Has anyone ever been induced due to swelling, pitting edema, protein without the blood pressure? Or does the blood pressure have to be there in order to induce? I am just worried that things are getting bad and I wish they would induce me at 37 weeks so that nothing has the chance to get worse.

Any support or info?
momaofson

Postby caryn » Mon Mar 02, 2009 09:59 pm

by caryn (10131 Posts), Mon Mar 02, 2009 09:59 pm

Did you see your doc, or just the ultrasound techs?
caryn
Forum Moderator

Postby momaofson » Mon Mar 02, 2009 10:25 pm

by momaofson (180 Posts), Mon Mar 02, 2009 10:25 pm

Just the nurses who do the NST and the guy that drew my blood. Why do you ask?
momaofson

Postby momaofson » Tue Mar 03, 2009 00:55 am

by momaofson (180 Posts), Tue Mar 03, 2009 00:55 am

So I just decided that since I hadnt checked my feet yet that I should. When I poked my left foot I almost threw up. It left a little hole that stayed for a few minutes after my finger was gone. I sure hope they do something soon to end all of this. I am so nervous about developing another symptom and not knowing until its to late. My DH keeps telling me well all your lab work came back just fine cant you just wait until the 24th and I just keep telling him I dont want something to go wrong in between now and then. He doesn't really understand pre-e or how quickly it can change.
momaofson

Next

Return to Ask the Experienced