Post Reply FAQ Members Login

Folic Acid/Folgard

This section is for discussions with other women who have probably been through the same signs/symptoms that you may be experiencing. Please note, we cannot offer medical advice and encourage members to discuss their concerns with their doctors. New members, come on in and introduce yourself!

Folic Acid/Folgard

Postby rjcote » Mon Mar 23, 2009 01:48 pm

by rjcote (2 Posts), Mon Mar 23, 2009 01:48 pm

I have a question regarding folic acid - I have been told by my doctor to take a prenatal vitamin and folgard prior to getting pregnant.

A little history - I experienced preeclampsia and HELLP syndrome with my first pregnancy and delivered my son @ 24 weeks gestation.

Anyway, I have been taking GNC's prenatal vitamins that has 800mcg of folic acid, 10mg of B6 and 4mcg of B12. Along with the prenatals I am also taking folgard, which has 800mcg of folic acid and 10mg of B6 and 115mcg of B12. I had also been taking a baby aspirin, but stopped that as I had heard that can cause the egg not to attach if trying to get pregnant. I was told to not take that until after I get pregnant. Does anyone know if you can get too much folic acid? We got pregnant in July, but then miscarried at 9 weeks. Since then we are having problems conceiving.

Just wondering if it's possible to be getting too much of a good thing.

Thanks,
Renee
rjcote

Re : Folic Acid/Folgard

Postby threesparkles » Mon Mar 23, 2009 02:57 pm

by threesparkles (254 Posts), Mon Mar 23, 2009 02:57 pm

I was told that your body excretes what you do not need, so there's no such thing as getting "too much" Folic Acid. Also, I've been on Folgard, a Prenatal, and LDA since 3 months before conception and am currently 9 weeks along. Every doctor is different, but b/c of my problems, I was urged to take the LDA from the start. Maybe your circumstances are a little different (def not telling you to go against doctor's orders, just wanted to mention that LDA does not affect implantation in every case)!
threesparkles

Postby sheri-ct » Mon Mar 23, 2009 03:02 pm

by sheri-ct (685 Posts), Mon Mar 23, 2009 03:02 pm

Sorry about your loss. I am taking Folgard (mine has 2.2 mg) and BA. I take almost 5mg of folic acid per day. The baby aspirin should not prevent implantation. My fertility doctor me to take it. Did your doctor tell you to take it?

Sheri
sheri-ct
Forum Moderator

Postby rjcote » Mon Mar 23, 2009 03:29 pm

by rjcote (2 Posts), Mon Mar 23, 2009 03:29 pm

Sheri - yes, my doctor told me to take the BA and I had been since July, but then when I miscarried and heard about the BA affecting implantation, I stopped. Probably should call my Dr and talk to him about it - I just don't understand why all the sudden we're having problems conceiving.....my mind just starts thinking it has to be the pills.
rjcote

Postby lola1971 » Mon Mar 23, 2009 03:29 pm

by lola1971 (174 Posts), Mon Mar 23, 2009 03:29 pm

Hi-sorry about your losses.

I also had PE/Severe HELLP. I am taking a prenatal vitamin, omega 3 vitamin, calcium vitamin and low dose asprin. My ob didn't say anything about extra folic acid. Did you get tested for any underlying disorders?
lola1971

Postby caryn » Mon Mar 23, 2009 08:55 pm

by caryn (10124 Posts), Mon Mar 23, 2009 08:55 pm

It's also my understanding that folic acid is excreted if you get more than your body can use -- it's water-soluble -- and the only thing I'm aware of that's related to high doses of folic acid is that it can mask pernicious anemia, which would have shown up in your blood labs and which pretty much only happens to the very elderly and to extremely strict vegetarians who don't take a multivitamin, so your prenatal would cover that.

Asking your doc about the baby aspirin is your best bet. I think there are some studies suggesting a benefit from baby aspirin for a subset of women wrt conception, but I'm not sure (and I'm not sure if you're in that subset, but your doc would be.)

And don't forget, correlation isn't causation. :-) Touching the fuselage of a plane every time you get in one doesn't cause it not to crash, even if every time you touch the fuselage before you fly, you land safely. It's hard to keep our brains from running away with causes, but I don't think there's any good evidence to suggest a link between miscarriage and folic acid.
caryn
Forum Moderator

Postby cheleandcallidora » Mon Mar 30, 2009 03:03 pm

by cheleandcallidora (161 Posts), Mon Mar 30, 2009 03:03 pm

I was put on 4mg of folic acid daily for 3 months before conception and throughout my pregnancy to help prevent miscarriage. I was also put on baby aspirin at the same time. So far it is working. 13 weeks today! I was put on the high dose of folic acid for an MTHFR mutation and the aspirin as a precaution. I wouldn't worry about the folic acid causing a problem. My grandpa is a pharmacist and did a lot of research before I started on it and didn't see any potential risks. I am sorry to hear about your loss and trouble conceiving. I hope things turn around for you soon. Good luck!
cheleandcallidora

Return to Ask the Experienced