Post Reply FAQ Members Login

Vision changes- What did you experience?

This section is for discussions with other women who have probably been through the same signs/symptoms that you may be experiencing. Please note, we cannot offer medical advice and encourage members to discuss their concerns with their doctors. New members, come on in and introduce yourself!

Vision changes- What did you experience?

Postby socalmama » Mon Apr 06, 2009 04:11 pm

by socalmama (3 Posts), Mon Apr 06, 2009 04:11 pm

Hello Everyone,

I am new here. :) My name is Jenny, and I am 33 weeks along with my first baby. I have not been diagnosed with preeclampsia, but have been hospitalized at week 24 with a scare. I get white coat hypertension, and my BP at the doctors is usually around 130/90-140/90 (but at home, 'round the clock, it is 110/70-125/80). All blood tests were normal (and I go for another round this week). I don't have any swelling, headaches, or protein in my urine.

I have been experiencing new eye floaters. I have always had them, but a few weeks ago I got quite a few more. I went to my eye doc (an MD who has experience with preeclamptic women),and had my eyes dialated. She said everything looks great, and that the floaters are in no way related to preeclampsia (or hypertension or diabetes). She said to look out more for double vision, very blurry vision, eye spots that you can't see through, flashes of light, and blind spots.

My questions is: What have you experienced in terms of vision changes? Are there pictures on the web to illustrate? I thought that new floaters WERE a sign of preeclampsia, so I am confused. Should I rest assured, or shoul I continue to worry?

:) Thank you, everyone!
socalmama

Re : Vision changes- What did you experience?

Postby socalmama » Mon Apr 06, 2009 04:13 pm

by socalmama (3 Posts), Mon Apr 06, 2009 04:13 pm

One more thing: the floters are pretty much 'round the clock. I see them more with bright backgrounds, but they don't just occur and then dissappear. They are constant. And I have around 5-8 of them.
socalmama

Postby mother bear » Mon Apr 06, 2009 05:10 pm

by mother bear (270 Posts), Mon Apr 06, 2009 05:10 pm

You know the bright flashy floaters you get and go away in a few seconds when you stand up too fast? That's what I had in my first pregnancy some time before delivery. Except, I wouldn't stand up too fast. I'd just be sitting there, and I'd get the floaters, for minutes at a time. I just wrote it off as a weird pregnancy symptom at the time... But I've never done the constant floater thing.

And then there was the quadruple vision at delivery.

My eye doctor said that the blood vessels in the back of my eyes have been permanently changed (more squiggly) by my bout with high blood pressure. Floaters can become a problem if the blood vessels in your eyes rupture due to the increased pressure. There was somebody on here a while back (2 years ago?) who went blind for a week due to the bleeding in the back of her eyes during her PE episode. Just another thing to keep in mind.
mother bear

Postby blythe » Mon Apr 06, 2009 07:58 pm

by blythe (3060 Posts), Mon Apr 06, 2009 07:58 pm

Welcome, Jenny. Your floaters do sound like floaters to totally-not-a-doc me, but I'm so glad you're asking and getting the advice of your doctors and other women who have "been there". Please keep telling your doc *any* symptoms that concern you. http://www.preeclampsia.org/symptoms.asp is our signs and symptoms page

The one thing I wanted to mention is that our experts are pretty clear that "white coat hypertension" means that your body doesn't regulate bp very well. That can translate into developing "unmasked" chronic hypertension in pregnancy and/or later in life. Chronic htn in pregnancy progresses to "superimposed" PE (looks the same and is just as dangerous, but might not have the same origins as "true" PE) about 25% of the time. Please do keep watching your bps, signs and symptoms, and hang out here and ask more questions!
blythe

Postby ambersjourney » Mon Apr 06, 2009 09:41 pm

by ambersjourney (366 Posts), Mon Apr 06, 2009 09:41 pm

I have experienced several different types of visual changes. In my first pregnancy I assumed my vision changes were due to simply being pregnant. I stopped wearing my contacts and started to wear my glasses only. It just seemed not quite bad with my glasses. I saw what I would describe as a constant aura around everything. A brightness. I never really saw spots or stars as some describe. It was always worse in the light. With my second pregnancy I saw floaters. With this one... I have floaters and have seen large black spots on several occasions in the last 6 weeks or so. Currently I am seeing things as though I was looking through water. You know when you are at the pool... etc. (Doc is running bloodwork and I am filling a 24 hour jug as we speak.) So hope that helps. Visual changes can vary. My sister, when she had pre e reported seeing flashes of light and stars.
ambersjourney

Postby missgamecock » Mon Apr 06, 2009 10:42 pm

by missgamecock (6064 Posts), Mon Apr 06, 2009 10:42 pm

I have had different kinds too. With each pregnancy I have actually lost sight in my eyes. It would just go black all of a sudden. It was contributed to A) swelling on the optic nerve with Kirsten and Cate and B) hemmoraging along the optic nerve that caused scarring from very high bp with Sara. I have also had the black squigglies and stars.
missgamecock

Postby julie f » Mon Apr 06, 2009 11:32 pm

by julie f (7993 Posts), Mon Apr 06, 2009 11:32 pm

Jenny,

Just wanting to echo Heather here. Please continue to let your doctor know of any new or progressing symptoms, and continue to keep a close eye on yourself.

While floaters are actually pretty common, I can certainly appreciate the nerves that they can touch on! I have floaters that too are constant, my docs have also said that they are not related to past preeclampsia. Of course I have no idea when they started though, because I probably never really paid attention until *after* preeclampsia... During my experience with preeclampsia, I did lose vision and it was a very obvious change - I had large brown thumb prints in my line of vision that got increasingly darker until I could no longer see through them.

Please hang in there and keep us posted.
julie f

Postby karoliina » Tue Apr 07, 2009 09:45 am

by karoliina (503 Posts), Tue Apr 07, 2009 09:45 am

I don't know if black floaters are considered a symptom, but I got them after my first PE pregnancy and they have stayed permanently with me ever since. I don't think it's a coincidence they came right after my PE, but I didn't have them while pregnant, nor have they increased in this second pregnancy.

So far it seems your'e doing pretty well re: PE, but like was already said, even "white coat hypertension" is not a good sign, and I would continue monitoring myself.

Good luck!

Karoliina
karoliina

Postby musescorner » Sat Apr 11, 2009 04:19 pm

by musescorner (5 Posts), Sat Apr 11, 2009 04:19 pm

While I have learned vision degradation is normal in a pregnancy mine was so severe that when I had my baby I had to be guided through the hospital though it got really bad at the end it degraded massively early in my pregnancy always talk to your dr. and if you aren't comfy find a new one
musescorner

Postby socalmama » Sun Apr 12, 2009 08:38 pm

by socalmama (3 Posts), Sun Apr 12, 2009 08:38 pm

Thank you, everyone for sharing your experiences! I went in this weekend for my 2nd round of PIH lab tests, and everything came back normal! My AST and ALT were on the lower side, but I was told that it was only a probem if they are elevated.

socalmama

Next

Return to Ask the Experienced