Post Reply FAQ Members Login

Baby not "breathing" on ultrasound?

This section is for discussions with other women who have probably been through the same signs/symptoms that you may be experiencing. Please note, we cannot offer medical advice and encourage members to discuss their concerns with their doctors. New members, come on in and introduce yourself!

Baby not "breathing" on ultrasound?

Postby rsobaje » Mon May 11, 2009 06:09 pm

by rsobaje (24 Posts), Mon May 11, 2009 06:09 pm

Hi all! So I had an ultrasound today, as part of a regular "9 month workup". The baby was measuring 7 lbs (I'm 37 weeks), and his hert rate was normal (154). I had plenty of fluid too. The only problem was the tech said he was not practice breathing. She said it was because when people get preeclampsia the baby gets "lazy" to conserve energy. He was practice breathing a lot at the biophysical profile at 33 weeks, and now he's not. Does this indicate that my PE are getting worse? My blood pressure has been pretty stable on the aldomet, usually between 110s-120s/70s. Should I be concerned? My doctor isn't going to deliver the baby early unless my blood pressures get way worse. If I went into labor naturally now, do you think he would be able to breathe? She didn't look very long, so maybe he is "breathing", just not regularly?
rsobaje

Re : Baby not "breathing" on ultrasound?

Postby trish » Mon May 11, 2009 07:29 pm

by trish (2949 Posts), Mon May 11, 2009 07:29 pm

I haven't heard of that as a sign that PE is worse. I'm certainly not a Dr. but he probably just wasn't doing in the few minutes of the BPP (the U/S where they look for things like that). Usually babies lungs are fine by 37 weeks but it really varies. Some 35 weekers come out & need no help breathing and some 39 weekers need assistance.

Glad everything is looking good still at 37 weeks!! Getting to term is fabulous! :)
trish
Forum Moderator

Postby rsobaje » Mon May 11, 2009 08:00 pm

by rsobaje (24 Posts), Mon May 11, 2009 08:00 pm

Thanks for your response! I'm not sure she knew what she was talking about...I haven't heard that not "practice breathing" was related to PE before that. The placenta looked good, so I'll try not to worry till my next doctor's appointment. His kicks are still great, 10 in 7 min. I jut really hope he is okay when he's born, and can breathe on his own. The hospital here doesn't have a NICU.
rsobaje

Postby carjashaner » Mon May 11, 2009 08:28 pm

by carjashaner (199 Posts), Mon May 11, 2009 08:28 pm

I haven't heard of it either. I was told that my daughter "wasn't practicing at 2 of my BPP appointments, but she was a happy,healthy, 8 pounds 9 ounces with not a bit of breathing trouble. I did not develop PE during pregnancy. My issues came post partum. 37 weeks is a great place to be. Congratulations. You're in the home stretch now.
carjashaner

Postby rsobaje » Mon May 11, 2009 11:30 pm

by rsobaje (24 Posts), Mon May 11, 2009 11:30 pm

Thanks, it's reassuring that someone has had the same issue, and everything turned out okay. I am very thankful to be at 37 weeks, especially after reading some of the posts here. It is still hard not to worry, but I'm glad for the support!
rsobaje

Postby jokell2 » Tue May 12, 2009 09:53 am

by jokell2 (209 Posts), Tue May 12, 2009 09:53 am

My second pregnancy my baby didn't do his breathing either on ultrasound for the 30 minutes they checked. That, along with low fluid (2cm) got me induced two days later. Why they waited two days is a whole other thread. (basically 1st doctor saw nothing wrong and second dr. made the decision to induce) I was 36 weeks and he was put in special care unit b/c he had fluid in his lungs.

If I were you I'd get a second opinion or at least another ultrasound to check breathing again and fluid level. Mine went from 8cm which is low to only 2cm in barely a week. The ultrasound tech was worried about him since they are supposed to do so many breathing movements within 30 minutes and he did none.

Considering how far along you are now I'm sure he'll be fine if he came. Please keep us posted!
jokell2

Postby laura » Tue May 12, 2009 11:44 am

by laura (5139 Posts), Tue May 12, 2009 11:44 am

I've not heard that breathing was indicative of lung development, rather it is one of the many things they assess to get a bigger picture of how stressed baby is.

You might want to ask them if they can do a biophysical profile- that way they can get the bigger picture of how baby is doing. And be sure you are doing your kick counts, ok?
laura

Postby rsobaje » Tue May 12, 2009 02:36 pm

by rsobaje (24 Posts), Tue May 12, 2009 02:36 pm

I think I will ask if they can do a BPP at my appointment on Friday, thanks for the suggestion. The kick counts are always great- I was told to do them by counting the amount of time to get to ten, during an usually active time of day for the baby. This morning it was only about two minutes to get to ten! He's always been super active, so it's reassuring. He also got the hiccups this morning, so at least I know his diaphragm CAN work!
rsobaje

Return to Ask the Experienced