Tests after PE

This section is for discussions with other women who have probably been through the same signs/symptoms that you may be experiencing. Please note, we cannot offer medical advice and encourage members to discuss their concerns with their doctors. New members, come on in and introduce yourself!
weybridge05

Re : Tests after PE

Postby weybridge05 » Tue Sep 30, 2008 11:21 am

Hiya Gina,

4 weeks ago I gave birth to a stillborn due to sever HELLP at 21 weeks. I have my first "lets see if we can figure out the cause" appointment with my doctor next week and would love to head from you how yours went and what some of the things were that you talked about. I would also love to hear how you are coping with things since i just can't seem to stop crying and i am so concerned about being able to get pregnant and have a baby.

preemomof2

Postby preemomof2 » Mon Sep 01, 2008 00:30 am

My Dr. ran PT and PTT, as well as hepatic function panel when I was 36w...with #2...PT was fine @ 9.4 sec, APTT 25 Sec

He had Circled my platelet count...161,000
my Alkaline Phosphatase S were high. 187
My INR reading was low 0.9
Uric Acid was High 7.2
Creatine was 136H

With #2...he ran tests when i was just 2 months along...
Varciella Zoster IgG was 3.04H Limits are 0.0-0.9
Parvovirus B19 IgG was 6.8H Limits are 0.0-0.8
*I dont really know what that is suggesting? Obviously im immune...but i dont know why they were so high, we suspected I had Fifths Disease about 2 months prior to getting pregnant.

caryn
Forum Moderator

Postby caryn » Sun Aug 31, 2008 04:53 pm

I'm not sure. Frankly, I'm not sure *they're* sure. There's some reason to think that some autoimmune disorders are triggered by pregnancy.

Here's a link to an old article from the LA Times that goes into more detail: http://articles.latimes.com/2001/mar/26/health/he-42743

So, in essence, Rose said, the leftovers from pregnancy seem to account for part of the discrepancy between males and females, but not for all of the difference.

The possibility of a relationship arises because the fetus’ cells –containing genes from the father–make the mother’s immune system constantly encounter “non-self” genetic signals. So Nelson thinks this means that “pregnancy is an immunological event. It is exposure to a body that is half foreign,” and it may be triggering an autoimmune response.

ambersjourney

Postby ambersjourney » Sun Aug 31, 2008 11:22 am

Which of these are acquired disorders?

caryn
Forum Moderator

Postby caryn » Wed Dec 06, 2006 02:51 pm

Some things they wouldn't be likely to do *anything* with even if they found them, too -- I think of myself as a future chronic gal, but I do also have mild scalp psoriasis, which is autoimmune. The options for treating it IIRC are coal tar shampoo, UV light exposure, steroids, methotrextate (which contraindicates any pregnancy within the next 5 years if you take it), and Enbrel or other biologics that shut down bits of your immune system and thereby raise your risk of various other nasty things happening (especially in cases like mine, where you've had a positive TB screen and a TNF alpha inhibitor might just give you lymphoma or TB...)

It is so hugely variable by individual situation that biting the bullet, getting the testing, and seeing what your individual panel of experts says about your particular case is the only option...

catherine
Forum Moderator

Postby catherine » Wed Dec 06, 2006 12:46 am

It depends Heather,

If it's an autoimmune issue eg. lupus, then you would need to be seen by an appropriate expert. Some of the clotting factor issues are not thought to be particularly impactful outside of pregnancy, but that would depend on the levels. MTHFR mutations are not considered signifcant to regular health unless your homocysteine levels are abnormal. This is thought to be a contributing factor to the development of cardiovascular disease and can be managed by vitamin B supplements (if I remember correctly).

The vast majority of folks don't pop up with anything I suspect. Autoimmune disease or cardiovascular problems will likely become more problematic with aging, so forewarned is forearmed.

blythe

Postby blythe » Wed Dec 06, 2006 11:43 am

What kind of things can be done to manage these disorders if they're found? Sometimes I already feel like something is "wrong" with me because I've had pregnancy issues. I'd rather not give myself another label unless there's something I can do about it!
[:D]

jenndola
Forum Moderator

Postby jenndola » Wed Aug 16, 2006 03:06 am

Gina, all of the tests listed above are checking for either genetic or acquired clotting disorders.

two_tzu

Postby two_tzu » Wed Aug 16, 2006 00:38 am

Tammy and Laura,
Thanks so much for this thread- old as it is. I've recently lost my first child at 28 weeks due to complications from preeclampsia, and I've been trying to find more information on the possible tests that will be offered at my pre-conception appointment in September. I've had a hard time finding them all listed in one place!

Now if I can only find more information about what each test looks for...

Gina

laura

Postby laura » Fri May 21, 2004 11:20 pm

HI Tammy! There are two links that I think might help answer your question-- first the "ask the Experts" link:
http://www.preeclampsia.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2273

and then from a member:

"There are several lists of tests floating around on the various preeclampsia sites, but here is the most comprehensive one I've seen (my OB recommended most, but not all, of the tests):

Lieden Factor V mutation R560Q (DNA test by PCR)
Hyperhomocysteinemia MTHFR Mutation (DNA test by PCR)
Prothrombin Gene Mutation 20210 (GA) (DNA test by PCR)
Protein C levels
Protein S levels
Activated Protein C activity
Antibodies to 6 phospholipids of the IgM, IgG and IgA classes
Lupus anticoagulant antibody
Russell Viper Venom time
Activated partial thromboplastin time (APTT)
Prothrombin time (PT)and Partial prothrombin time (PPT)"

hope this helps!

Laura
Moderator/AK Coordinator

Mom to Alicia (severe PE) 5/98 and Camille (htn, oligo) 4/03
http://www.babiesonline.com/babies/c/camilleandallie/

Return to “Ask the Experienced”