by alexa5 (710 Posts), Wed Jul 15, 2009 04:12 pm
Tough call, Kellye. I say that because I know exactly what you mean, though in my case my doctor is willing to go with the cardiologist recommendation. My family doctor originally told me to stay with what I was on, and in the meantime I decided to go to a cardiologist for an echo for some concerns I was having. Everything was fine, and the cardiologist felt that I could start weaning off labetalol, and eventually just be on hctz. So, that is what we are doing...
But I will be seeing my family doctor for the most part, while working with the cardiologist during the time we get our meds straight....all updates will be given to my family doctor to keep him posted on how things are going, as well as I will be doing some follow ups with him.
I guess if I was in your situation I would tell the internist I would like to at least try to start weaning, and will keep a close eye on pressures at home/report any concerns. If you have a qualified professional like a cardiologist who suggests weaning I don't think your internist can outright tell you not to.