Position of the placenta - ?

Are you pregnant again after having preeclampsia once already in a previous pregnancy? Post your thoughts/concerns here - there are others who share your feelings. This is also the home of our Bedrest Buddies Support group.

Position of the placenta - ?

Postby beth11 » Tue Sep 08, 2009 12:33 am

Does it matter? At my last u/s the tech mentioned several times - "See here, this is the placenta forming. . . looks like it's going to be at the back." (Or something like this.) We've never heard anything like that before! We tried to ask questions, but she then shut up :)

So, is this just random knowledge, or does the position/ location of the placenta have any effect on anything?

I know that, in my pregnancy with our twins, when we talked about "why" I got HELLP so early, the doctors mentioned a "bad piece of real estate" (actually, that might have come up early on when Baby B wasn't growing well). . . anyway, then there's the whole stretched-out-panty-hose thing :)

But I'm probably reading too much into this, right? :)
beth11

Re : Position of the placenta - ?

Postby sheri-ct » Tue Sep 08, 2009 01:17 pm

I'm thinking she was just making an observation. I am pretty sure the only really "bad" spots are covering the cervix and where an old c-section scar is, but I'm sure someone with more info will chime in.

Congrats, again!!!!!!!

Sheri
sheri-ct
Forum Moderator

Postby amandamm » Tue Sep 08, 2009 02:40 pm

I think it was just an observation too... I think it only matters when it is over the cervix (I don't know anything about c-sections though, could be bad if they are by the scar too)

Today I had an ultrasound and she showed us the placenta on the side...
amandamm

Postby kbunsey » Tue Sep 08, 2009 03:14 pm

I think it is just an observation too. Placenta previa is where the placenta is covering the cervix and it poses certain challenges, although I'm not sure if it is related to PE/HELLP. The "bad real estate" thing could be - could be - b/c doctors think PE/HELLP begin as placenta issues, so perhaps your other placentas didn't implant as well as they could have. I know my other baby's placenta was not functioning properly and the way it was explained to me is that the unhealthy placenta makes both mommy and baby very sick. :-(

Also, I'd talk to the doctor about it more if you are unsure.
kbunsey

Postby missgamecock » Tue Sep 08, 2009 06:08 pm

Probably just an observation. Just as a side note, EVERY one of my pregnancies was an anterior placenta. So maybe the placentas don't like the back of my uterus.
missgamecock

Postby kbunsey » Tue Sep 08, 2009 07:10 pm

That's interesting, Sabrina, b/c my first pregnancy's placenta was anterior (in the back). This pregnancy I have an anterior-facing placenta (it is in the front of my uterus) and so far (keeping fingers crossed) so good. Hmmmm....
kbunsey

Postby caryn » Tue Sep 08, 2009 09:14 pm

I think -- and I haven't searched this -- that there's just beginning to be a little bit of investigation into the possibility that there's some correlation between implantation site and placentally-derived disease.

The fantastically tricky bit about all of this is that we can't really study placentas in situ the way we'd like to; we don't really understand them because we can't poke at them the way we can poke at other organs. We have trouble even simulating cells from them in the lab because they are so spectacularly particularly adapted to the site.

Real estate. Love that. :-)
caryn
Forum Moderator

Postby kellikbock » Wed Sep 09, 2009 12:13 am

With my last two pregnancies I was told that my placenta was pretty low, near/over the cervix...The doctors waited a few weeks and sent me for another sono. & the placenta had moved upward to a safer location. I didn't think that placentas could re-locate...but, I guess it isn't uncommon in the early months of pregnancy.
Location, Location, Location! =)
kellikbock

Postby jamilyn » Fri Sep 11, 2009 01:56 am

Sounds like it was more of an observation then anything. With my last pregnancy the placenta was really low and caused bleeding which would put me on and off of bedrest. I'm not sure but from what my Peri has told me the only position she is worried about is if the placenta locates itself low again BUT that even if so it wont matter with me since I am having a C-Section, being low would just cause no fun in the bedroom since you cant do anything like that if it is low and over the cervix
Good Luck!!!!!
jamilyn

Return to Pregnant Again?