Post Reply FAQ Members Login

visual disturbances

This section is for discussions with other women who have probably been through the same signs/symptoms that you may be experiencing. Please note, we cannot offer medical advice and encourage members to discuss their concerns with their doctors. New members, come on in and introduce yourself!

visual disturbances

Postby meri71 » Sat Oct 10, 2009 04:48 pm

by meri71 (1 Posts), Sat Oct 10, 2009 04:48 pm

Hi-

I am new and was hoping to get some peace of mind for some of these symptoms I'm having. I had triplets on Sept 23rd and developed preeclampsia post partum. I went home on blood pressure meds 6 days later and my blood pressures were dropping- still in the 140's/80's at the time.

I started to get a migraine type of headace above my left eye for several days and then I had some horrible visual problems out the same eye. Hard to describe but I had sensitivity to light and hard to keep it open.

They admitted me to the hospital for 3 days where I had magnesium sulfate for 52 hours. I am home and feel awful. My blood pressures suddenly dropped low (109/67) so I stopped taking the labetol. I am still running low to normal but feel very fatigued and dizzy upone standing.

My eye disturbances have continued but now feel like sensitivity to light and some sort of peripheral vision problem out of my left eye. It's very uncomfortable. I have an appointment with the opthalmologist next week.

Is this type of visual disturbance common? I've only read about spots, tunnel vision, black spots, etc which I don't have.

Will this vision issue go away?

Lastly, do I feel so crummy from the sudden drop in blood pressure? I feel worse than I did when they were high.

Thanks for your support. This is a scary and dreadful thing to go through.

Meri
meri71

Re : visual disturbances

Postby alexa5 » Sat Oct 10, 2009 10:18 pm

by alexa5 (710 Posts), Sat Oct 10, 2009 10:18 pm

I saw some flashes of light in my peripheral vision out of one eye, usually when I went outside in the sun, for a while after delivery. I went to the ophthalmologist and all was fine, and it eventually stopped...not sure exactly when. I think I have read of others having something similar, so it is probably fine, but good to get checked out like you are.
alexa5

Re : visual disturbances

Postby ozierja » Mon Oct 12, 2009 03:44 pm

by ozierja (584 Posts), Mon Oct 12, 2009 03:44 pm

The good thing is you are going to get it checked out. It does sound like it is migraine aura associated which can mean peripheral vision problems as well as the light sensitivity. The eye doctor will dilate your eyes to make sure your retina is okay and rule out any swelling in the retina. It is a scary thing to go through and I think there have been several posters who have had some residual vision problems that just take time to resolve.

You can feel crummy when your BP is trying to regulate itself off medication...it stinks!
Hang in there!
ozierja

Return to Ask the Experienced