Dizziness after taking labetalol

This section is for discussions with other women who have probably been through the same signs/symptoms that you may be experiencing. Please note, we cannot offer medical advice and encourage members to discuss their concerns with their doctors. New members, come on in and introduce yourself!

Re : Dizziness after taking labetalol

Postby Guest » Sun Dec 20, 2009 06:41 pm

38w3d.

dublinmam

Postby dublinmam » Sun Dec 20, 2009 04:59 pm

congratulations ont the birth of your baby girl, how far along were you in the end?

Postby Guest » Sun Dec 20, 2009 03:51 pm

Thanks for all the advice.
Here are some updates:
I pushed for an induction and my ob agreed to do it at 39w. But baby knows she needs to get out. LOL.
My bp was normal without medication until labor started. I had a quick and all natural delivery. I was only <1 cm dilated when I arrived at the hospital with bp at 151/102. Blood test was ordered but never performed because my baby was born 45 minutes after I arrived.

Her blood thickness reading was abnormally high, 75. NICU doctor believes this is related to unfavorable placenta development, the same cause for my GH. They mentioned blood transfusion but the third test returned borderline(69.5). Since she has no symptoms, they decided to watch her, especially for jaundice. Otherwise, she is doing great.

My blood pressure after delivery is still a bit elevated so I am back on 50mg labetalol. So far so good. We will wait and see.

Thanks to all for your help and glad I made all the right decisions.

trish
Forum Moderator

Postby trish » Thu Dec 10, 2009 05:23 pm

Taking it *if* your BP gets higher sounds like a good plan. And no, in my opinion it's never too late to change OB's if you aren't comfortable with the care you are getting (well perhaps if baby is crowning it would be too late! LOL!) You need to trust your Dr. & believe in the care you & your baby are getting. "Defensive" and "stubborn" are not qualities I'd want in the Dr. I'm trusting with my life & my baby's life.

Can you talk to one of the other Dr's about switching to them? Good luck. (((HUGS)))

alexa5

Postby alexa5 » Thu Dec 10, 2009 12:15 am

That is frustrating that the docs on call seem to "get" that your bp doesn't need to be so low, but that your doc keeps wanting to medicate you. I do think it is probably too late to officially switch, and would be too awkward since they are all in the same practice to do so this late in your pregnancy. That said--I definitely think you should continue seeking a second opinion from the other docs as you have been, as it sounds like they will help your primary doc to do the right thing.

Postby Guest » Thu Dec 10, 2009 11:28 am

I talked to another on-call doctor and was told to hold off the medication until my bp reading rises to 140/80. I also asked her whether I should continue like this -I was already 37weeks + along and really worried about the long term damages to my health and my baby's. She chose the words very careflly but she said she wouldn't wait until 40 weeks. She said she would discussed with my primary OB when he is in the office today since he had been following me all the way.

How I wish I switched to one of those two on-call doctors. My primary OB seems unexperienced handling this type of complication and quite defensive and stubburn on different opinions. Is it too late to switch?

Postby Guest » Thu Dec 10, 2009 00:49 am

I really appreciate your callouts, especially on potential damage to my and baby's health. I will call for a second opinion.

kara
Forum Moderator

Postby kara » Wed Dec 09, 2009 10:47 pm

96/65 is very low for someone who runs 120/80 normally. In my non medical opinion, pressures that
low could compromise bloodflow to the baby. I think I would report those low readings and ask the doctor if it is compromising blood flow when you don't normally have low pressures even when not pregnant. Having too low pressures cam also cause dizziness and Fainting. Maybe you could call now, after hours, and get another opinion.

blythe

Postby blythe » Wed Dec 09, 2009 10:37 pm

Blood pressure meds in pregnancy are tricky because lowering blood pressure can interfere with the blood flow to the placenta - which can be very dangerous for the baby. In your shoes, I'd call the doc on call - whoever it is tonight - and ask what numbers they want to see, what is too high and what is too low.

When I was weaning off bp meds post-partum, I would take my blood pressure before I took my medicine - if it was already low, my doc said to skip that dose. Maybe that's something your docs would consider for you? Let us know what they say!

dublinmam

Postby dublinmam » Wed Dec 09, 2009 09:56 pm

thats still low considering your baseline. are you drinking enough fluids? you have to be very careful with hypotension because the placenta can become underperfused. your own kidneys and brain also, maybe monitor/measure the amount and colour of urine you pass to see if you are passing enough(0.5/kg/hour) in 24 hours.if you arent passing that much then your kidneys could be underperfused. also be careful of postural hypotension as you dont want to be passing out/collapsing. make sure you get up slow from resting etc. look after yourself and dont be afraid to call your doc if you dont feel right. <<<<HUGS>>>

Return to “Ask the Experienced”