Post Reply FAQ Members Login

How does stress affect Preeclampsia?

Are you pregnant again after having preeclampsia once already in a previous pregnancy? Post your thoughts/concerns here - there are others who share your feelings. This is also the home of our Bedrest Buddies Support group.

How does stress affect Preeclampsia?

Postby myangel » Mon Dec 07, 2009 01:01 pm

by myangel (65 Posts), Mon Dec 07, 2009 01:01 pm

Good afternoon ladies;
I know I don't post very often but I could really use some advice right now. I was just wondering how stress effects preeclampsia. I'm currently working full time right now, I'm 25+5 weeks pregnant with #2. So far I've been doing great, bp is normal, no protein, just went for the gestation diabetes test, minor swelling in feet and calves (but usually goes away with rest) and basically am feeling fine...so far.
Well today is so far a pretty bad day. Work so far has been unstressful as I have a small case load and easy clients to deal with right now. Well I just got out of a meeting with my supervisor who basically said that our waiting list is growing to be too long so he wants to pump me up with double the clients and basically work me hard til I leave. I am completely stressed about this decision for many reasons...my job involves doing therapy with clients in their homes, working with their young children as well...this decision now means...
1). It's not fair to the clients to start therapy with 1 worker then switch half way through, so I have major guilt about that...
2). that many clients means crazy hours at work and lots of stress..
3). I live in Canada so that means driving through the Canadian winter storms all the time ...

I don't know what to do...the health of my little baby is the most important thing...do you think all this added stress with effect my health? blood pressure? I have a doctors appointment with my OB in two weeks and am wondering about talking to her about going on sick leave...although maybe not right away.
What do you think???
Any advice would be appreciated...although I do know this is an individual decision and there may not be a right or wrong answer.
Thanks for reading this far, and sorry for the length, but the vent did help me feel a little better in the mean time.
Take care,
P.S. What did/would you ladies do if you were feeling this stressed???
myangel

Re : How does stress affect Preeclampsia?

Postby beth11 » Mon Dec 07, 2009 03:17 pm

by beth11 (202 Posts), Mon Dec 07, 2009 03:17 pm

Regardless, I'm sorry you're feeling this way and dealing with so much right now!

As for your question - every thing I have read and my MFM have all agreed that stress cannot cause, bring on, or otherwise effect preeclampsia. I'm sure others will be along who can actually point you to the information and/or correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought I'd just go ahead and throw this out there :)

I am 23 weeks pregnant, work at least 50 hours a week, and for a while there was also dealing with some *huge* family stress. It was too much. I sat my MFM down and said point blank - I need you to confirm that stress has nothing to do with preeclampsia! She confirmed. (So at least that helped with the stress of worrying that I was actually harming myself/my baby by being stressed!)

That said, you do need to take care of yourself :) And I wish I had an answer to your p.s. of what to do when stressed!
beth11

Postby myangel » Mon Dec 07, 2009 03:27 pm

by myangel (65 Posts), Mon Dec 07, 2009 03:27 pm

Thanks for your advice. I hope you're right. I'm just a complete loss for what to do right now...although that might be the hormones talking too...I would just feel so much better not having to deal with crazy hours and schedules and supervisors and winter weather (considering I'm in my car for a good portion of my shift) ... :(
myangel

Postby amanda » Mon Dec 07, 2009 03:49 pm

by amanda (2216 Posts), Mon Dec 07, 2009 03:49 pm

Although PE is not caused by stress - your emotional well being is. Would it be possible for you to go on your leave now? Another option would be for you to request of your doctor the amount you can work (i.e. not more than X hours and no more than XX miles from your home)? That might also help your supervisor understand. I'm not sure what the rules are in Canada regarding family medical leave or acknowlegement of medical requirements.

Another thing to speak with your doctor about is the fact that you *will* be working with children and it's not a good thing for you to get the flu. Have you had a flu shot? Or an H1N1 shot? There is some documentation on the front page of the website that outlines why these are good options for pregnant women.

I remember feeling stress over working vs. pregnancy. I agree that it stinks.

I hope this helps!
amanda
Forum Moderator

Postby myangel » Mon Dec 07, 2009 08:53 pm

by myangel (65 Posts), Mon Dec 07, 2009 08:53 pm

Thanks...it would be possible for me to take leave as early as Christmas. I have enough sick leave saved up that I could use that (full pay) until I could start maternity leave at 35 weeks. I really don't want to do that because I'll go crazy at home worrying that something will happen, especially with my son being in daycare all day. But it doesn't look like my supervisor is going to give me a lot of choice right now. I guess we'll see how things go over the next couple of weeks and I'll discuss it with my doctor at the next appointment.
Oh, and of course I took my blood pressure at home a few hours after I got off work...and guess what??? It was raised a little of course. Still in the normal range but the highest it's been this pregnancy :(
Thanks for the advice...any helps...
myangel

Postby amanda » Tue Dec 08, 2009 10:05 am

by amanda (2216 Posts), Tue Dec 08, 2009 10:05 am

Vickie -
I would go ahead and call the doctor and let them know about your BP being up and staying up - at least if it were me. Please, do call and let them know - ask them what the numbers be before you go straight to L&D to get checked out. Remind them too that you had low pressure before the start of the pregnancy. A reading of anything greater than 30 points either way (top or bottom numbers) is a significant jump.

Please let us know how you are coming along if you can.
amanda
Forum Moderator

Postby myangel » Tue Dec 08, 2009 01:47 pm

by myangel (65 Posts), Tue Dec 08, 2009 01:47 pm

Thanks Amanda I will...I don't think the bp numbers are that high yet...haven't jumped 30 points (yet). I have to call the OB tomorrow to get the results of my gd test so I will talk to them.
Thanks for the support,
Any yes, I will keep you all updated. Oh and I took a sick day today from work, so hopefully that'll help too
myangel

Postby myangel » Wed Dec 09, 2009 03:12 pm

by myangel (65 Posts), Wed Dec 09, 2009 03:12 pm

Oh I got some good news today, thankfully. I got my test results of my 2 hr gestational diabetes testing and she said that my numbers were well below average !!!! Yey!
myangel

Postby brockner1 » Wed Dec 09, 2009 03:37 pm

by brockner1 (386 Posts), Wed Dec 09, 2009 03:37 pm

That is awesome! I was too scared for GD results as well and thank goodness i passed the test as well...such a relief...my endo had scared me that if i get GD then i will have to take insulin shots daily.

Anyways, good for you..YAY!!!
brockner1

Postby myangel » Wed Dec 09, 2009 09:45 pm

by myangel (65 Posts), Wed Dec 09, 2009 09:45 pm

Yey! Good for you Brockner...it's such a relief to jump that hurdle too...
myangel

Next

Return to Pregnant Again?