Post Reply FAQ Members Login

Future TTC and what to ask OB next week

Are you considering having another child after preeclampsia? Trying again after preeclampsia can be an emotional challenge. You can find support with others who share your concerns here.

Future TTC and what to ask OB next week

Postby denise » Wed Jun 09, 2004 12:24 am

by denise (5480 Posts), Wed Jun 09, 2004 12:24 am

DH and I won't actually be TTC until Dec/Jan, but I see my OB/GYN next week for my annual and I plan on talking to him about another pregnancy. I am trying to make a list of things to ask, and am getting overwhelmed at this point. I develloped HELLP/pre-e at 34/35 weeks with DD and had no clue what was happening to me. Now, I know I'll be on hyper-alert for anything, so that puts me ahead of the game already. I am overwieght and am working to lose some before we'd try to get preggos. Any suggestions for things to ask or do for myself? thanks!![:D]

Ariana-born 5/3/03 at 35 weeks due to HELLP Syndrome/PIH
http://hometown.aol.com/scrapperlang/Home.htm
denise

Re : Future TTC and what to ask OB next week

Postby julie f » Wed Jun 09, 2004 12:37 am

by julie f (7993 Posts), Wed Jun 09, 2004 12:37 am

Denise,

I hope your appt goes well! I think having an appt now is a great way to help you prepare for next time. Is your OB a high-risk? If not, I'd suggest asking for a referral to one for a preconception consult as well. Also, have you already been tested for some underlying predispositions to preeclampsia (blood clotting disorders, autoimmune issues, etc.)? If not, your doctor will likely recommend it but if he doesn't it would be a good idea to ask about it.

Let us know how it goes!

Julie (27)
Zachary James, 7/22/03-7/27/03, born at 26wks - severe pe

Miracle in progress... #2 is due February 9, 2005!!!!

Southern California Coordinator
julie f

Postby arj » Wed Jun 09, 2004 01:02 pm

by arj (1251 Posts), Wed Jun 09, 2004 01:02 pm

Denise,
Definitely let us know how it goes. We're going to be TTC in January as well, and I am so interested in finding out what others have experienced during their preconception consult. I'm going to try to set one up for July with a high-risk OB.

How is your non-pregnant BP? If you have any chronic hypertension issues you might want to get those resolved before TTC, just to be ahead of the game. Good luck with the weight loss-do you have a baby jogger? I have found that you can really maximize the quality of walking/running when pushing around your little one. Take care!!

Allison (28)
DS-Evan, 7/19/2003. PE at 40 weeks
arj

Postby tanya » Wed Jun 09, 2004 01:45 pm

by tanya (621 Posts), Wed Jun 09, 2004 01:45 pm

Denise,

Hope your appointment goes well. My DH and I had a preconception consultation this time and feel so much more relieved knowing what steps might be taken during this pregnancy. Every doc handles situations differently and I truly think it's important to be on the same page to begin with. Good Luck to you and your DH!!

Take Care,
Tanya
Jason(DH)
Leah born 2/4/99 at 34 weeks PIH
Miscarriage 10 weeks
Grant born 3/29/01 at 31 weeks
#3 EDD 1/31/05
tanya

Postby 5thtymachrm » Wed Jun 09, 2004 03:36 pm

by 5thtymachrm (909 Posts), Wed Jun 09, 2004 03:36 pm

Hello, I already went for my preconception appt with the peri about a month ago. We are planning to start actively ttc by November, maybe a little sooner. At the appt he mainly discussed how my heart was doing now, since I had sustained so much damage in the last pg. We did cardiac output testing which showed I was outputting too much, above pg levels. He restarted me on atenolol in addition to my lisinopril. He mainly said that we needed three things under control. 1)BP must be down in the 100/60 range and pulse in the 70's and below. 2) lose at least 10lbs in the next 6months.3)no infections or big illness in the next 6months.

I go back for a recheck in about two weeks to see how I am doing and he will continue to watch me about every 6wks until I get pg. We will be stopping the lisinopril as soon as we find out we're pg(because it isn't safe during 2nd/3rd trimesters).

He gave me a 50% chance of getting PE because of the now chronic HBP and the damage done to my arteries from the high cardiac output. It was really nice to be able to sit down and plan out what we needed to do in order to start ttc. Having clear guidelines is very important and I would ask for some. you need something tangible to calculate, like your bp or weight changes.

Good luck and let us know what they say[:)]

Elizabeth

Indigo E. 11/20/03:37wks, PIH
5thtymachrm

Postby gossamer » Wed Jun 09, 2004 06:54 pm

by gossamer (242 Posts), Wed Jun 09, 2004 06:54 pm

Here are the questions I asked my Dr.

What are my chances of getting HELLP again?
What are my chances of getting Pre-E again?
WHat supplements will you want me to take?
WHen should I start taking them?
What should my blood pressure be before conceiving?
How often will I be visiting you?
How often will I be getting an ultrasound?
How often will my blood be tested?
What will you be testing for?
What would encourage you to put me on bedrest?
What would indicate emergency induction/C-Section is needed?
How often can I call the office duting my pregnancy?
Does your staff understand that I will be paranoid and need lots of hand holding?
With no complications, how long will you let me be pregnant?
How many Pre-E patients have you treated?
How many HELLP patients have you treated?
Is there anything that you know now that would discourage you from taking me on as a patient?
Is there anything that would encourage you to transfer my care?

That was only the first page of my questions. Let me know if you want more.
I hope that helps.
Gossamer

"Before you were conceived, I wanted you. Before you were born, I loved you. Before you were a minute old, I would have died for you. This is the miracle of life. " -Maureen Hawkins
gossamer

Postby josiah1112 » Wed Jun 09, 2004 07:42 pm

by josiah1112 (1368 Posts), Wed Jun 09, 2004 07:42 pm

What a great list Gossamer!! Very thorough. Thanks for sharing!

Gloria mom to Josiah 11/12/03- 12/4/03 @ 26wks pre e
Moderator- Foro Latino
Future Adoptive Mom
josiah1112

Postby norlisa k » Wed Jun 09, 2004 10:00 pm

by norlisa k (745 Posts), Wed Jun 09, 2004 10:00 pm

Hi Denise -

I like Gossamer's questions (thanks for sharing them)... And I tend to agree with the ladies about knowing your pre-pregnancy blood pressure, getting a preconception consult with a high-risk OB/perinatologist, being aware of any underlying conditions. And I know that I sound like a broken record, but I think that it is SOOOOO important to have a doctor that you feel very comfortable with, that will answer all of your questions and put you at ease, and who is very knowledgeable about hypertensive disorders of pregnancy--it makes all of the difference. Knowing your blood pressure, the signs and symptoms of preeclampsia, questions to ask, and having the best health care and feeling very confident in your doctor are a great start. (You and I are also on the same wavelength with the weight loss, hope yours is going well and hang in there!) Will keep good thoughts for you; hope it goes well....

Hugs,
Norlisa

Norlisa Keffer(35), Washington State Co-Coordinator/Moderator, Mothers of Multiples/Co-Moderator, Trying to Conceive
Gordon (37)
Joseph/Josephine Our Angel in Heaven
Mary Frances and Samuel (a.k.a. Frankie and Sammy) 38 weeks, 5/26/03, no preeclampsia during pregnancy, mom severe blood pressure problems post-partum
norlisa k

Postby denise » Thu Jun 10, 2004 08:57 am

by denise (5480 Posts), Thu Jun 10, 2004 08:57 am

Thanks so much everyone!
Thanks for that awesome list Gossamer! I had some of those questions, but missed alot of them. Will definately be asking my OB. The only concern I really have is that I am going to be a hyperchondriatic pregnant lady. I think that I will be so worried about little twinges that I don't want to call him about something and have it be nothing, and then end up having something more serious come about. Do you understnad what I mean? The question about dealing with the ultrasensative patient andhow the staff handles it is a great one and I will surely be asking that one.[:D] Thanks again!

Ariana-born 5/3/03 at 35 weeks due to HELLP Syndrome/PIH
http://hometown.aol.com/scrapperlang/Home.htm
denise

Postby megansmom » Thu Jun 10, 2004 12:17 am

by megansmom (768 Posts), Thu Jun 10, 2004 12:17 am

Hi Denise! I am so glad you asked this question. We are also going to start ttc in or around December. I also have an appointment next week and it has been overwhelming coming up with a list. Big thanks to Gossamer for the great list. It will give me a place to start. I've never been to this doc so I am a little nervous. I need to find a new one that I will be comfortable with. Good luck to you and let us know how it goes. If any others have questions to add to this list, PLEASE add them. I want to make sure I cover all the bases. Good luck Denise and let us know how it goes!

Amanda
Mama to Megan, PE at 34 wks
megansmom

Next

Return to Trying Again after Preeclampsia