Decreased urine output? Or normal?

This section is for discussions with other women who have probably been through the same signs/symptoms that you may be experiencing. Please note, we cannot offer medical advice and encourage members to discuss their concerns with their doctors. New members, come on in and introduce yourself!

Re : Decreased urine output? Or normal?

Postby Guest » Thu Feb 25, 2010 11:54 pm

Thanks for sharing that, Jamie! Well, they have my pee jug and my blood, so lab are being run. I'm getting more nervous all the time about the results. My bps are so high, I just don't know what the deal is. And the swelling. Ug. I'm more nervous about my liver panel than anything, for some reason.

I guess my doctors are a LOT more laid back than average about my high bps. I think it's because I'm chronic and I'm not having headaches or visual disturbances. I've been having readings at or around my call-in number all day... but I haven't called because what are they going to do? Run labs, which is in progress right now anyway. I guess if my bps are still super high tomorrow, I'll call. But i feel like my husband is losing patience with me needing time to "rest" so I can keep my bps semi-under control. He's not used to having to care for our 18-month old this much and I don't think he has as much patience for typical 18-month-old shenanigans like I do. So... I know it sounds stupid, but I almost hate to call the doctor because I don't want my husband to be any more put out than he already is. (Of course he wants me and our unborn daughter to be healthy and safe... but I am really really pushing the limits of his patience here.)

Ug. This all sucks.

Vent over.

For now. ;)

love_the_daschies

Postby love_the_daschies » Thu Feb 25, 2010 05:47 pm

Well the nurse and I just had a conversation on output vs input. I guess I am a superstar because I take in A LOT - but I pee it all back out. So today so far I took in 4250 so far and peed 4600mL. Usually I am ~ 500 mLs under what I take in coming out - but some swelling must be coming down because I am losing weight too. I asked her about lower output and used the example of 2L in 1L out - she said they would want labs to make sure the kidneys were functioning within normal parameters and would also make sure it wasn't just a one day fluke.

So definitely mention to your doctor tomorrow your input vs output. Maybe there is a pregnancy safe med they can give you to pull out some of this fluid? I am surprised with how lax your doctors nurses seem about the BP - hopefully your doctor has some more answers for you.

Postby Guest » Thu Feb 25, 2010 03:40 pm

quote:
Originally posted by Caryn

The bp starts to get like that when you are "decompensating" -- when your body cannot moderate the activity of the placenta any more. It's not really pegged to your activity at that point, but to metabolic stuff the placenta's doing to try to buy a bit more time.

I'm worried about your output -- I had oliguria when things went sideways, and ended up with pulmonary edema -- coupled to those very high pressures on meds. Have you let your docs know how far apart your input and output are?

That is interesting (if scary) insight on the blood pressure. When I went in my reading was only 155/93. So they told me to wait until my appointment on tuesday to see if I need a med increase at this point or not. (And, yeah, I told them about at-home readings.)

I thought it *seemed* like I wasn't urinating as much as I would expect in the last few days... but the 24-hour urine was just an opportunity to actually quantify it. I did make it to 1000 - and it sounds like a lot of women have gotten much much MUCH lower outputs... do that is reassuring. But to answer your question, I didn't say anything about how much liquid I took in. I'll mention it to the doctor on Tuesday, and try to be mindful of my output in the meantime too.

My swelling is pretty evident to everyone. They were trying to draw blood and just couldn't find a vein due to the swelling. My hands are so puffed up and swollen, the tech couldn't believe it. It took a couple of tech to finally decide to draw blood right over one of my knuckles. Thankfully, they were successful! If I puff up even more before delivery, it ain't gonna be pretty when they try to get an IV going - not to mention the 9 million blood draws they do while you are in the hospital. *sigh* I'm just not looking forward to that.

They said results will take a couple of days - so it may not be until Monday that I hear my blood and urine results. I gotta admit, I am feeling pretty nervous.

I'll keep you all posted. Thanks for all the insights and support!!

alexa5

Postby alexa5 » Thu Feb 25, 2010 01:03 pm

quote:

I hope thinks settle down for you - I have massive insomnia again. It stinks. I got to sleep at 3:30 am and then got woken up for vitals at 5:20 am - now I can;t get back to sleep! So bad since I try not to nap during the day at all so I can sleep good at night. Grrr....

Odd to say I was hoping your pee update would be different - I have never looked for a pee update before!

I remember getting so little sleep in my postpartum stay because of all of the interruptions along with how uncomfortable my bed was. I didn't mind the nurse interruptions so much because they were pretty respectful about not overdoing it, but the things that drove me completely nuts were:

1)unnecessary interruptions from residents just looking around or coming in really early in the morning for no real reason. I woke up many times to see someone standing over my bed staring at me (and I rarely slept, so of course they did this everytime I managed to sleep--it was so frustrating)

2) the beeps of the iv when it was running low and the beeps of the bp machine when it would do an autoread and my bp was too high. My bp was always too high, so it would beep, and I would have to page the desk to have a nurse turn off the beep...I did this so many times it made me crazy. Some nurses were nice and set the machine higher, but apparently they are not supposed to do that, but I was glad they did.

Hang in there, it is no fun to be in the hospital to "rest"

caryn
Forum Moderator

Postby caryn » Thu Feb 25, 2010 11:08 am

The bp starts to get like that when you are "decompensating" -- when your body cannot moderate the activity of the placenta any more. It's not really pegged to your activity at that point, but to metabolic stuff the placenta's doing to try to buy a bit more time.

I'm worried about your output -- I had oliguria when things went sideways, and ended up with pulmonary edema -- coupled to those very high pressures on meds. Have you let your docs know how far apart your input and output are?

Postby Guest » Thu Feb 25, 2010 08:53 am

Aww... thanks for looking for my pee update, Jamie! LOL! I did manage to get *just* to 1000 as of the final deposit. Woo-hoo! So hopefully that means it won't raise any eyebrows. A 100 ounces is 3000 ml?? Yikes. I do have some fluid unaccounted for. I wonder how much we lose over the course of a day just by breathing and whatnot. When you say your output matches your input - does that mean if you drink 2000 ml, you urinate 2000 ml? Or is it a bit less - like a 2000 in to 1500 out ratio?

My bps are a bit erratic - for no reason that I can figure. Like even if I am in bed and not moving it can go up high (175/110), or lower (140/90), from one reading to another. I'd say in the last 24 hours I've been averaging around 160/100... which is technically my call-in number. But the numbers are rather inconsistent, and they say to call in only if they are always over 160/100. These high bps have only been around since about Monday - and yesterday was probably the worst day for for it all week. I'm leaving here in about an hour to drop off the pee and get some bloodwork done and I'll get my BP checked in the office. I am on meds, by the way (methlydopa 500 3x/day). I've only had one med increase this entire pregnancy, so perhaps I am due for another.

You poor thing, I'm not surprised you have insomnia in the hospital! How do they expect you to rest when they are coming in throughout the night to check on you?? It's so hard, I know! I remember when I was in the hospital after delivery and had developed HELLP... the nurses were in drawing my blood it seemed like every other hour. It was impossible to get any rest. Maybe eventually you'll be so exhausted you'll sleep through the nighttime vitals. I hope you can figure out a way to sleep through the night. (((hugs))) Being in the hospital is hard enough, it'd be nice to be able to sleep through some of your stay. Of course, if not, you could always view it as good practice for your post-delivery life when you are up every other hour with a newborn. ;)

love_the_daschies

Postby love_the_daschies » Thu Feb 25, 2010 06:29 am

100 ounces = ~ 3000mL or 3 L. So yeah, you should have more pee - I wonder if it is all going to your swelling :( I have swelling that people are classifying as slight to moderate - but my output does match my input.

Please watch those BP reading (I know you will). 172/105 is scary high and I don't think I would have waited 30 minutes before parking my butt in L&D. Those pressures are nothing to play around with. Even the 155 isn't too hot. Are you on meds? Might it be time for an increase?

I hope thinks settle down for you - I have massive insomnia again. It stinks. I got to sleep at 3:30 am and then got woken up for vitals at 5:20 am - now I can;t get back to sleep! So bad since I try not to nap during the day at all so I can sleep good at night. Grrr....

Odd to say I was hoping your pee update would be different - I have never looked for a pee update before!

Postby Guest » Thu Feb 25, 2010 05:17 am

Pee update...

I just went and I am now up to almost 800. I have two hours left to go, so hopefully I'll hit that 1000 mark and there won't be any trouble with them running the labs on this.

I drank SO MUCH in the last 24 hours. Over 60 ounces of water and 40 ounces of gatorade. That's just over 100 ounces of fluid (not to mention the fruit and fluid in the food I ate)... where did all this fluid go? My right hand, it seems. Well, my legs too and just general swelling... but my right hand is especially swollen and tight - it's hard to make a complete fist with it.

BP was 172/105 - waited thirty minutes and tried again and got 155/92. So don't know what the make of that. (By the way, it's 4 am here... can you tell I have insomnia? LOL!)

So that's my pee news. I'm getting nervous about the swelling and BPs... but I'm still hopeful that I'll get a passing result on my tests.

brandi101

Postby brandi101 » Wed Feb 24, 2010 09:07 pm

i also pee more in the night i have cut back on my fluid intake later in the day so i wont be peeing all night update us on the dr appt and test results when u can hopefully u will be like the rest of us and pee more at night then during the day

dorothy30

Postby dorothy30 » Wed Feb 24, 2010 08:30 pm

I just wanted to chime in and say that I too, have the same phenomenon of peeing much more at night than during the day. I have done several 24hr tests and like you, I was always worried during the day because I had hardly collected any urine. But, through the night and the next morning I had always put out enough to reach 1500-2000ml. Hopefully it's the same for you! I hope your BP goes down soon and good luck at your appt tomorrow.

Return to “Ask the Experienced”