Decreased urine output? Or normal?

This section is for discussions with other women who have probably been through the same signs/symptoms that you may be experiencing. Please note, we cannot offer medical advice and encourage members to discuss their concerns with their doctors. New members, come on in and introduce yourself!

Decreased urine output? Or normal?

Postby Guest » Wed Feb 24, 2010 02:35 pm

I'm finally doing another 24 hour urine today. (Not that I'm REALLY complaining that I haven't had to do many this pregnancy!) I'm 32 weeks and my last one was over 6 weeks ago. What has prompted this 24 hour is an increase in bps (150/90-160/100) and an increase in swelling (legs, hands, eyelids slightly).

So I guess it's been a while since I've been so intimate with my pee output. But I've been collecting my urine for about 8 hours now. So far my pee has been very dark. Not cola-dark, but very dark as if I were dehydrated. I've drank about 40 ounces of water, had a bottle of gatorade (which is about 20 oz, I believe) and even eaten some pretty juicy fruit. So I should be well hydrated and peeing like crazy, it seems. But I have less than 300 ml... er, I'm not sure about that measurement. It's basically just a couple centimeters up from the bottom of the collection jug.

So I am guess all this fluid is going to my legs and hands and elsewhere. Will this throw off the results? Does this sound like a decreased urine output, or within the range of normal?

Thanks. I have nowhere else to go to talk about my pee. I don't think my husband wants to hear about it. ;)

Re : Decreased urine output? Or normal?

Postby hillary8l8 » Wed Feb 24, 2010 02:41 pm

Decreased urine output is considered to be anything under 500 ml in 24 hours. I know I had about 1300 ml in my last 24 hour, and my OB said this was not enough, and I needed to drink more. 300 ml in 8 hours doesn't seem like very much to me...especially for the amount of fluids that you are taking in. I think you are probably right in that the extra fluid is adding to your swelling. I'm glad that you are doing another 24 hour to check up on things.
hillary8l8

Postby brandi101 » Wed Feb 24, 2010 03:01 pm

i agree with hillary that doesnt seem to be much urine output for the fluids u r drinkin and im glad the doctor is doing this test again for u i hope all is ok im praying for u and the little one
brandi101

Postby Guest » Wed Feb 24, 2010 03:57 pm

Thanks for your responses! I know "they say" to drink a lot of water to reduce swelling... but, geesh, I really just feel like I am feeding the swelling here.

Does anyone know if this can throw-off the test results? I am thinking not, because the same amount of protein would leak through my kidneys weather I was peeing a lot or a little, right? It would just be different concentrations?

Postby love_the_daschies » Wed Feb 24, 2010 04:35 pm

What you are describing is pretty normal for me. I tend to drink a lot during the day - and have a lot of output during the night. So far today I have taken in 2100 ml of fluid. I have an output of 600 ml - I know tonight I will put out the rest and have been averaging an output of ~ 1500 ml at night.

So I say good you are doing the 24 - but I wouldn't worry about volume until the full 24 hours goes by.

edited to add even they I retain the fluid during the day the nurses and doctors only care about my total 24 hour input/output so it all balances out for me!
love_the_daschies

Postby thirdtimesthecharm » Wed Feb 24, 2010 04:42 pm

Drink a lot and pee some more because if they don't have enough urine they can't do the testing. I found that out the hard way with an extra night in the hospital. I'm wracking my brain but I can't remember if it was more than 500ml or 1000ml that they needed.
thirdtimesthecharm

Postby thirdtimesthecharm » Wed Feb 24, 2010 04:47 pm

I checked and it was 1000ml. I had less than that and the lab wouldn't run the tests.
thirdtimesthecharm

Postby Guest » Wed Feb 24, 2010 05:34 pm

Ack - I don't know if I'll make it to more than 1000! I'm nearing the halfway mark and I'm still barely over 300. I guess I'll just have to wait and see... and Jamie, if memory serves I do tend to pee more at night than during the day too. So it is very possible that things will pick up here.

What is concerning my are my dumb blood pressures. I'm get a lot of 175/105 (+/- 5) readings. And I am not doing ANYTHING. I'm sitting here. I'm not on bedrest, but I've been taking it easy today due to my bps. So frustrating!!! I'm going to see the doctor tomorrow morning anyway so I'll have them check my bp while I am there. Maybe I am due for a medication increase.

I feel like I am trying to just WILL this to be a normal and healthy pregnancy. Sometimes I feel like my optimism borders on denial. I just so badly want to get through this healthy. But I know you all understand that feeling... I can't tell know if I really BELIEVE this will be a healthy and normal pregnancy, or if that is just my overwhelming desire.

This will sound strange... but if I go down the pre-e and HELLP road again, I almost feel like I am letting everyone down. My husband, my parents, everyone in my family was scared when they found out I was pregnant again. Happy, but scared. And I really spouted a lot of propaganda to everyone convincing them that things would be different this time and the chances were I'd have a perfectly healthy pregnancy. I feel like I'm letting everyone down if I get sick again - even though rationally I know it isn't my fault.

OK, vent over.

Postby lilillini » Wed Feb 24, 2010 05:42 pm

I know it's frustrating. But the reality is that you are already sick. Regardless of your protein, you already have severe PIH. PLEASE call your doctor about your pressures. Those are crazy high pressures for being medicated.
lilillini

Postby atvlady » Wed Feb 24, 2010 05:52 pm

When my pre-e was showing its butt, I had very very little urine output. I would drink and drink and drink water and just dribble with urine. I guess my body was retaining all that fluid. When I delivered I peed it all out, 37 pounds of it. I filled up the hat like 2 and 3 times when I went. All they done in the hospital was measure the amount of urine I was puting out and it was massive! I never done a 24 hour cause I knew I was going to have to be delivered.
atvlady

Next

Return to Ask the Experienced