Post Reply FAQ Members Login

Factor II Leiden

Have you suffered from HELLP syndrome or had a pregnancy complicated by an underlying disorder? Discuss your concerns here

Factor II Leiden

Postby sam10 » Wed Apr 14, 2010 10:31 am

by sam10 (1441 Posts), Wed Apr 14, 2010 10:31 am

Has anybody been diagnosed with Factor II Leiden? My new primary care looked at all my results and mentioned something about that, but said it needed to be run by a Hematologist.

Are there any medications that are usually prescribed for that? Or any other restrictions or recommendations?

sam10
Forum Moderator

Re : Factor II Leiden

Postby caryn » Wed Apr 14, 2010 01:31 pm

by caryn (10131 Posts), Wed Apr 14, 2010 01:31 pm

I only know stuff about Factor V off the top of my head, but after I'm done with my taxes I'll go poke around PubMed. :)
caryn
Forum Moderator

Postby l412angel » Wed Apr 14, 2010 03:38 pm

by l412angel (1746 Posts), Wed Apr 14, 2010 03:38 pm

I have Factor V and have done a ton of research...what would you like to know about it?
l412angel

Postby sam10 » Wed Apr 14, 2010 11:36 pm

by sam10 (1441 Posts), Wed Apr 14, 2010 11:36 pm

I guess I am a bit confused, since I received different kinds of information as to whether or not I have any underlying disorders. I was tested a few weeks ago and called to hear the results and the nurse from my MFMs office on the phone only told me that she saw that I had a Vitamin D deficiency, which is not uncommon in the Boston area after a long winter. Nothing else stood out, she said. I asked to have the results sent to me, which did not happen.
In the meantime I changed my primary care physician (just for convenience sake) and he looked at all my data, which he pulled from the computer and muttered something about Factor II Leiden or Mutation. He said he did not quite know what it meant what he saw, but concluded I had it. I guess I need to find a hematologist to figure out what the deal is. Sometimes it is just so tiring to constantly be on top of your doctors, especially if everybody says something different.

My questions are the following:
Is this possibly a life threatening condition? After I had PE I get easily scared.
How is a coagulation disorder such as Factor II correlated to PE?
I find it quite logical if a blood clot forms in the placenta and stillbirth is a result, but this would not necessarily have to be connected to PE/Hellp, or does it? If so, how?
What can be done to prevent any complications, other than blood thinners (low-dose aspirin), and would these need to be taken for the rest of my life?
I read this conditions is hereditary, but nobody in my family has had any complications, as far as I know. Could it be acquired?

sam10
Forum Moderator

Postby l412angel » Wed Apr 14, 2010 11:51 pm

by l412angel (1746 Posts), Wed Apr 14, 2010 11:51 pm

Thats so crazy! I have a Vit D deficiency as well. I think they like to say that is linked with PE as well? That thankfully can be helped out a ton with meds!

I would ask about the hematologist. All 3 of my doctors said to start me on baby asprin for the rest of my life, and that as long as I have never had a blood clot or get one I do not need to see a hematologist, BUT that was just my doctors. Your doctors may feel different.

I totally know what you mean about it being hard to be on top of your docs when they all have different opinions. Sometimes it helps when they are sort of work together.

There really is no cure for Factor V. It can be a life threatening condition...however walking across the street can too...thats how I look at it. In general it really depends on if you inherit one or two genes. I only have one gene so I am more likely to get a clot...but people with 2 genes are wayyyy more likely to get a clot.

To help put your mind at ease...after I was diagnosed, my mom was also diagnosed and never knew she had it...she is 52...we also just found out my grandfather had it...he is 81...never had a clot ever. So it all just depends. The biggest thing to look out for is that having FV makes things a little more difficult for you such as pregnancy. Look out for swollen calf muscles, pain to your leg accompanied by red or hot to the touch...along with shortness of breath. Those things can all indicate a clot.

When a clot falls fatal is when it turns into a pulmonary embolism, where the clot passes through your heart and travels to your lung...this is rare...but can and has happened.

Ok so FV is linked to PE because having FV means that your blood over clots. That being said, you can develop a clot in your placenta, or your blood can over clot making it harder for the baby to get nutrients. I dont know *too* much on that...what I do know is that having any type of clotting disorder puts you at a higher risk for PE.

"I find it quite logical if a blood clot forms in the placenta and stillbirth is a result, but this would not necessarily have to be connected to PE/Hellp, or does it? If so, how?" That question I have no idea...but thats a good one!

To my understanding most FV people are told to take lovenox shots while pregnant to try to prevent clots, and good blood flow to the baby. I will be on these shots. You do not need to be on blood thinners (besides asprin) for the rest of your life IF you have never had a clot. If you develop a clot...thats another story.

This condition can not be acquired. One of your parents do have it it just depends on who. If you carry two genes then both have it. I had both my parents tested and like I said my mom came back positive.

This website rocks...http://www.fvleiden.org/
l412angel

Postby sam10 » Thu Apr 15, 2010 00:35 am

by sam10 (1441 Posts), Thu Apr 15, 2010 00:35 am

Thanks Laura for your detailed answer, this is very helpful. And thaks for the link.

First of all, I decided to make sure that my doctor read the results correctly and will see a hematologist as soon as I can, so I know what I am in for (one gene or two). I also called my OB's office to get his input. And I will request the results to be sent to me again if I don't receive them soon. It is just so much easier to see it on paper rather than relying on muttered words from your doctor.

If I have Factor II then I will start asking around in my family, and urge them to get tested as well.

sam10
Forum Moderator

Postby caryn » Mon Apr 19, 2010 01:36 pm

by caryn (10131 Posts), Mon Apr 19, 2010 01:36 pm

Honestly, I'm having trouble finding much about it, and I suspect the reason is that it's a less worrisome polymorphism than Factor V, in that fewer people with it have also presented with deep vein thrombosis.

One thing that's really useful to keep in mind, when you're thinking about this, is that it's not really a disorder. It's a common mutation that doesn't appear to have significant negative effects on survival or reproduction, because if it did it wouldn't persist in the population as a polymorphism. This idea is starting to have repercussions in clinical practice: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20013536

In brief, although there is potential significance in testing for various thrombophilia-associated markers, this value is limited and greatly diminishes when inappropriately applied. The application of excessive or inappropriate thrombophilia testing is of particular concern, and the net effect of current worldwide testing trends is likely to be more detrimental than beneficial. In short, it is likely that current generalized testing is simply doing more harm than good...

That's probably because putting all people with some sort of thrombophila on blood thinners would lead to more deaths caused by the blood thinners than it would prevent, but I haven't read the full text of the paper.

I'll keep my eyes open for more, though. :)
caryn
Forum Moderator

Postby sam10 » Mon Apr 19, 2010 07:04 pm

by sam10 (1441 Posts), Mon Apr 19, 2010 07:04 pm

Hi Caryn,

Thanks for digging around. I have also called my ob, and he left a message, to go over my results. I guess he might be better informed of what it means than my primary care. I'll call him back tomorrow, and hopefully get him on the phone. Sometimes I think that too much and incoherent information is not a good thing, but causes more worries and fears than necessary.
sam10
Forum Moderator

Postby sam10 » Tue Apr 20, 2010 10:57 pm

by sam10 (1441 Posts), Tue Apr 20, 2010 10:57 pm

Today, I talked to my OB (over the phone, which I find extremely unusual, since he does not get paid for doing this). Now, I am more confused than ever. Contrary to my primary care physician, he did not see anything in my results saying that I have Factor II, but instead I have a gene mutation for MTHFR, BUT my homocysteine levels are apparently withing normal range. I am not quite sure what that means yet.

I just don't understand how doctor's can find it so hard to read results.
I guess, I should see a hematologist and try to get a hold of my test results.
sam10
Forum Moderator

Postby l412angel » Tue Apr 20, 2010 11:11 pm

by l412angel (1746 Posts), Tue Apr 20, 2010 11:11 pm

Your on the right path! I would get your results and then yes see a hematologist!
l412angel

Return to HELLP Syndrome Survivors and Underlying Disorders