My list of questions....

Are you considering having another child after preeclampsia? Trying again after preeclampsia can be an emotional challenge. You can find support with others who share your concerns here.

My list of questions....

Postby megansmom » Wed Jun 16, 2004 11:44 pm

Thank you so much to all of you ladies for your help in this matter. I have put together a list of questions for my doctor that is rather lengthy, but I hope it will help someone else in the future. It was put together with the help of so many. It has been taken in little bits and pieces from here and there and I have personalized it for myself. I hope none of you mind if I quote you directly. I have spent several hours putting this list together. I hope you can take it, personalize it, and use it. Again thanks to all of those that posted and gave me the ideas, thoughts, and inspiration. Please let me know if I should add anything to this list.
~Amanda

I don't want to judge the actions of my previous doctors after the event, I simply want hindsight, into your instinct. Would you have done anything differently, and if so, what? The reason I asking this is to a) give you a chance to talk to me as specifically as possible about what happened, b) it will give me a sense of where you fit on the range of opinions. (When you are talking about specifics it's always easier to come up with questions.)

Baby:
What tests are parts of your normal prenatal care?
How do you feel about not finding out the sex of the baby?
How do you feel about breastfeeding?
Will you be pushing formula?

PE related:
How many Pre-E patients have you treated?
What are my chances of getting Pre-E again?
Will you test for any underlying conditions for pe?
What course of action will you take to try to prevent it?
What are your criteria for a PE diagnosis?
What would be the first red flag for you that we are going down the pre-e road again?
What diagnostic tests will you recommend?
What diagnostic tests will you insist upon if any?
What would encourage you to put me on bedrest?
What does bedrest mean to you?
When do you suggest hospitalization?
What are your criteria for delivery? Induction, c-sections, emergency cs?
Do you have a plan of action, just in case?
How do you feel about blood pressure medication during pregnancy? Would you prescribe it?

Preconception:
Do I need to see a cardiologist?
Do I need to see a perinatologist?
How much should I weigh before getting pregnant?
What should my blood pressure be before conceiving?
When should I start prenatal vitamins?
WHat supplements will you want me to take?
WHen should I start taking them?
What other prenatal tests do you recommend?

Pregnancy:
How often will I be visiting you?
How often can I call the office during my pregnancy?
How many and what kind of sonograms will you do?
What kind of machines are available in your office?
How often will my blood be tested?
What will you be testing for?
Will you call me with the results of any labs, or will I have to call you?
When do you do NSTs?
How on top on my pregnancy are you going to be?
How seriously are you going to take me if I call you or the doc on call with even the slightest symptom? And the answers from the doc I would expect to hear are "very very on top of the pregnancy" and "every symptom you have will be received with the utmost seriousness and then acted upon." Also, in regard to "very very on top of the pregnancy", they should then give you expamples of just how on top they plan to be - i.e. blood work, ultrasounds, and schedules of such, etc...
With no complications, how long will you let me be pregnant?

Delivery/Post Delivery:
Will you do steroid shots for the baby’s lungs if needed?
How do you feel about epidurals and other pain relief?
What is your philosophy on episiotomies?
Will you immediately take the baby away?
How long do you recommend for a post delivery hospital stay?
How involved is the father allowed to be? Siblings? Other Relatives?

Personal:
(I had four questions here. These questions were directly related to what happened to me.)

Do you and your staff understand that I will be paranoid and need lots of hand holding?

Is there anything that you know now that would discourage you from taking me on as a patient?
Is there anything that would encourage you to transfer my care?

Address any and all desires and fears!

Amanda
Mama to Megan, PE at 34 wks
megansmom

Re : My list of questions....

Postby angelkat » Thu Jun 17, 2004 00:39 am

Amanda...

Great list... One thing... Pre preg baseline 24 hour urine also I know it seems like a pain but you really want a true starting point.

Also you should be on prenatal vits before TTC (ones with extra folic acid( ok.. the mother in me is done!!)

Hugs
~T
Moderator Grief and Loss
Mommy to
Drew(13)PE 37 wks
Ky (11)PE 34 wks
~i~ Katlyne(12/9/02-04/02/03)25 wks
Casey Looking at Aug
Katlyne's Tribute Site
http://forevernetwork.com/lifestories/lifestory.cfm?Archive_ID=10971&Directory=/Archives/MountHope&Sort=V
angelkat

Postby denise » Thu Jun 17, 2004 05:26 am

Good luck at your appt today Amanda! I hope we both get our questions answered and come away satisfied.[:D]

Ariana-born 5/3/03 at 35 weeks due to HELLP Syndrome/pre-e
http://hometown.aol.com/scrapperlang/Home.htm
denise

Postby megansmom » Thu Jun 17, 2004 06:44 am

Thanks T! I will put the 24 hr ? on my list of things I want. I knew I should start taking the vits before TTC, but how long before is really my ???.

Thanks Denise! Good luck, I want to hear all about it. I will also post the conclusion of my visit ASAP!

Amanda
Mama to Megan, PE at 34 wks
megansmom

Postby angelkat » Thu Jun 17, 2004 07:07 am

You can start NOW with the prenatals.... They are good for you and won't hurt you so the sooner the better. Just make sure they have alot of folic acid in them....

Good Luck let us know how you make out today.....

Hugs
~T
Moderator Grief and Loss
Mommy to
Drew(13)PE 37 wks
Ky (11)PE 34 wks
~i~ Katlyne(12/9/02-04/02/03)25 wks
Casey Looking at Aug
Katlyne's Tribute Site
http://forevernetwork.com/lifestories/lifestory.cfm?Archive_ID=10971&Directory=/Archives/MountHope&Sort=V
angelkat

Postby gossamer » Thu Jun 17, 2004 07:19 am

I think that is a great list. If you feel that your doctor is frustrated with all of your questions, I would look for another one. This list of questions gives you the opportunity to determine how comfortabe you will be. IF you feel intimidated or rushed or not taken seriously while you are in the pre-conception phase, how will you feel in your 7th or 8th month? Trust your gut. THere is a doctor out there for you, I hope it's this one, but it may not be. KEep us updated.
Gossamer

"Before you were conceived, I wanted you. Before you were born, I loved you. Before you were a minute old, I would have died for you. This is the miracle of life. " -Maureen Hawkins
gossamer

Postby norlisa k » Thu Jun 17, 2004 09:47 am

Thanks, Amanda, and Gossamer, for sharing all of your questions, and I wish you the best, Amanda, with your doc. I reiterate what Gossamer said, that please feel comfy, EXTREMELY comfortable, with your doctor. My true hope and wish for everyone here is to be blessed with a doctor like mine: not only knowledgeable in preeclampsia, but one who is very empathetic about the importance of family and who treats you with respect, answers ALL of your questions, and never lets you leave frustrated. Hope that you find the perfect doc for you, from preconception all the way through post-partum.

Hugs,
Norlisa

Norlisa Keffer(35), Washington State Coordinator & Moderator, Mothers of Multiples & Co-Moderator, Trying to Conceive
Gordon (37)
Joseph/Josephine Our Angel in Heaven
Mary Frances and Samuel (a.k.a. Frankie and Sammy) 38 weeks, 5/26/03, no preeclampsia during pregnancy, mom severe blood pressure problems post-partum
norlisa k

Postby kdreher » Thu Jun 17, 2004 04:54 pm

What a great list. I am meeting with a new ob/gyn and hopefully a good peri and your list will be of great use to me. Thanks so much for sharing this.

Kris (34)
DH, Tom (33)
Tyler 3-9-95 to 3-23-95 (26 wks pe/HELLP)

tkstevens@sbcglobal.net or kstevens@cga.uscg.mil
kdreher

Postby kris197 » Fri Sep 22, 2006 09:34 pm

I have a question? What does TTC and NCTs mean? I am new and was just wondering.
kris197

Postby heather j » Fri Sep 22, 2006 10:10 pm

Hi, Christy. TTC is "trying to conceive" and NST is non-stress test. It takes a while to get all the lingo ;) !
heather j
Forum Moderator

Next

Return to Trying Again after Preeclampsia