+3 protein in urine at 38 weeks

This section is for discussions with other women who have probably been through the same signs/symptoms that you may be experiencing. Please note, we cannot offer medical advice and encourage members to discuss their concerns with their doctors. New members, come on in and introduce yourself!

+3 protein in urine at 38 weeks

Postby fiber » Thu Jun 17, 2004 08:21 am

Hi,
I haven't posted here since I first got pregnant for the second time. So far my pregnancy has gone very well. My bp started to go up about a month ago but has stayed in the 120s/80s so my OB is not concerned. I have had no other symptoms of Pre-E until my visit yesterday. The OB said there was +3 protein in my urine (after having negative results every other visit). There are no other symptoms and he says that since the bp is under 130/90 he's not too worried about it.
We are so close to full term this time and I know that is such a blessing but I'm afraid that things are going to go haywire here at the end. Are there any other possible causes for the protein in the urine? Could it be dehydration? Could it be something that happens near term? I don't want to be induced early if that is at all possible but I don't want to ignore this if it is serious. With my son I think my urine was only ever at +1, the major problem in that pregnancy was that the BP was really high and was only getting higher with bedrest.
thanks in advance for any advice.

Seth Anders 3-30-02 (35 weeks, pre-E, IUGR, 3 lbs.15oz)
Baby #2 EDD 6-26-04
fiber

Re : +3 protein in urine at 38 weeks

Postby catherine » Thu Jun 17, 2004 08:36 am

Hey it's just great that you've gotten this far without any problems. That little baby is going to be here before you know it.

The protein thing is bothersome though.... did your OB say if he was going to check to see if you had a UTI, or even a 24 hour urine to quantify better. That's a pretty high reading I would think. Considering that at 38 weeks you are at full term, I'm surprised that he didn't encourage you to do what you can to get things started.

Do keep an eye on your BP and watch out for the headaches, nausea/vomiting, visual disturbances..... you are so close, you don't want things to get frantic right at the very end.

Catherine
Mom to Finn, Lucy (preeclampsia and HELLP) and Chloe.
Moderator HELLP Syndrome Survivors
catherine
Forum Moderator

Postby meg » Thu Jun 17, 2004 08:41 am

Gosh, I wouldnt want to end up really sick and on mag and on all that. Since you are full term I think I would go ahead and ask to be induced just so you wont have to get any sicker.
Good luck.

Will 2-6-00 ( PE at 35 weeks)
Elizabeth 7-3-01 ( NO PE)
#3 EDD 10-25-04 Its a girl! So far so good!
Proud Aunt to Ethan born 27 weeks (March 8th) weighing 1lb 8 ounces! Our little fighter!
Now 4 pounds 9 ounces and home!!
meg

Postby deerhart » Thu Jun 17, 2004 08:45 am

The protein can be a sign of kideny problems, infections (both kidney and UTI's), and preeclampsia.

Please be aware that you do not NEED to have high BP in order for their to be kidney damage and with a protein reading of +3 it should be further investigated.

Erin

Moderator - Parents of Preemies
Missouri State Coordinator
Mommy to Alex (4)and Mason (1 1/2)
Law Student - 1 year done, 2 to go
deerhart

Postby julie f » Thu Jun 17, 2004 09:08 am

I can' offer any advice the others haven't alredy given but, just wanted to 2nd the notion that I hope your doctor is investigating further or, deciding to do something about the protein issue... You are term and can be delivering a healthy baby and day now!

Please keep us posted!

Julie (27)
Zachary James, 7/22/03-7/27/03, born at 26wks - severe pe

Miracle in progress... #2 is due February 9, 2005!!!!

Southern California Coordinator
julie f

Postby fiber » Thu Jun 17, 2004 09:13 am

thanks for the advice. The doc did ask some questions about a UTI but I really have had no symptoms of that-- usually I can tell pretty early on when I get one, but he didn't check anything. I have another appointment next week, and we aren't doing anything until then. That is why I thought to come here and run it by people who know about this. Sadly, I don't trust the doctors around here to take this stuff very seriously or to know all that much about pre-e.
Would it be a good idea for me to try and get some protein urine strips at the pharmacy? do they they sell those OTC? Is there a possibility it could have been a fluke?

Seth Anders 3-30-02 (35 weeks, pre-E, IUGR, 3 lbs.15oz)
Baby #2 EDD 6-26-04
fiber

Postby julie f » Thu Jun 17, 2004 09:22 am

They do sell the protein strips OTC at some pharmacies, I'm sure someone will be able to tell you where soon. I don't know that it really could have been a fluke though. If your urine was really concentrated, you could've gotten a higher reading that what might really be there. Same goes for if it was dilluted though, +3 might be better than what is really going on. That's why 24 hour tests are usually ordered, they give an accurate picture of how much protein you're spilling, regardless of the concentration of your urine. The thing though, is that you're at least spilling some protein and, you're term.

I'm no doctor so, obviously this isn't any medical advice but, if it were me, I'd be calling my dr. and asking why we're not inducing right now. 37wks+ is considered term and, if you're borderline hypertensive with +3 protein, I'd personally be nervous to wait until next week to be checked again.

Let us know how you're doing.

Julie (27)
Zachary James, 7/22/03-7/27/03, born at 26wks - severe pe

Miracle in progress... #2 is due February 9, 2005!!!!

Southern California Coordinator
julie f

Postby laura » Thu Jun 17, 2004 09:54 am

I wouldn't even bother with the test strips at this point- you know you have proteinuria-- really really significant proteinuria-- so I'd concentrate on watching for symptoms that things are getting worse, and counting your kicks.

I'd especially watch for sudden, severe swelling, or if you all of a sudden stop peeing as much as you normally do. If you're drinking a lot, and not peeing as much as you're drinking in, I'd go to the emergency room. If all of a sudden you get coke-colored pee- that's a trip to the emergency room.

On the other end- you probably should watch for signs that the preeclampsia is becoming more severe- headaches that won't go away with tyleonol, or visual disturbances. These symptoms also warrant a trip to the emergency room.

Are you doing non-stress tests to assess how well baby's doing? In addition to non-stress tests, it's really important to do your kick counts a couple of times a day to make sure baby is dealing with the stress well.

One more thing... what is your baseline blood pressure? THe guidelines for hypertension used to be-- rises of 30/15 from your baseline for hypertension, so it's possible that you do have frank hypertension for you.

I'm really concerned about you. A +3 is a pretty significant amount of protein, and I'd really hope that if a doc sees something like that that they'd keep digging and monitoring until they figure out exactly what it is- a 24 hour urine, blood work, fetal surveillance, even hospital admittance- and to see you soon. A lot can happen in a week. hang in there- watch for changes- and let us know how you're doing, ok?

Laura
Moderator/AK Coordinator

Mom to Alicia (severe PE) 5/98 and Camille (htn, oligo) 4/03
http://www.babiesonline.com/babies/c/camilleandallie/
laura

Postby arj » Thu Jun 17, 2004 02:04 pm

Congrats on making it this far! I have to agree with the other ladies here. Things can go haywire really quickly. I didn't get PE until full-term, however BOY DID I GET IT when it came! You don't want to get yourself into a situation where you are induced with the lovely Mag Sulfate/Pitocin combo [xx(]. Those are two contradicting medications: one slows down the labor, the other is supposed to kick it into high gear. Not sure if you will be delivering vaginally, but if you are, you really don't want that. It's nightmarish. Plus, if you wait until your BPs are outrageous, you might end up getting stuck in the hospital for a few extra days while they get back to normal. And who wants that??

Hope it doesn't seem like I'm picking on you. And I'm definitely no doctor. I just know that PE can happen with very little symptoms and it can happen so quickly. Good luck with everything. Little peanut will be here before you know it!

Allison (28)
DS-Evan, 7/19/2003. PE at 40 weeks
arj

Postby annegarrett » Thu Jun 17, 2004 02:33 pm

I am not adding anything new--but I would turn around and go back in and insist on "preeclampsia panel" bloodwork and a 24 hour proteinuria test. You had this before and proteinuria is considered the more significant of the two symptoms, by many doctors, and you have proteinuria. 3+ is unlikely a fluke--trace, even 1+ maybe, but not 3+. I would not wait a week to see them. I would go in today or tomorrow and ask for the tests and inquire about being induced. I am no doctor but I am a woman who nearly died in her third pregnancy at 38 weeks with 1+ proteinuria a the doctor's appointment and 130/90 BP. Twelve hours later my kidneys crashed, a week later my liver started to fail (after the baby was born). I wouldn't mess around. You are at term and you made it farther than the last time. This is one of those--get yourself to the hospital and get a second opinion moments. Mada is in Colorado--maybe she can be some support. She is on here all the time.

Take care and let us know how it goes.

Anne Garrett
Executive Director
Preeclampsia Foundation
annegarrett

Next

Return to Ask the Experienced