Vit D ?

This section is for discussions with other women who have probably been through the same signs/symptoms that you may be experiencing. Please note, we cannot offer medical advice and encourage members to discuss their concerns with their doctors. New members, come on in and introduce yourself!
alviarin
Forum Moderator

Re : Vit D ?

Postby alviarin » Fri Jun 11, 2010 12:05 am

ITA w/ Caryn. What works for one person may not work for someone else, since we are all unique genetically (and in diet and sun exposure).

My endocrinologist has been experimenting to see what works in my individual case. After getting my levels up via prescription, we tried 1000 IU/day (which he says works for most of his patients), then 2000 IU/day (which seemed to work for a while, but then my levels started slipping again). Now I'm back on prescription vitamin D to get my levels back up. I think next time we'll try a higher daily dose, and if that doesn't work he may just keep me on a prescription for the more active form of vitamin D.

My youngest sister, on the other hand, (who is a skinnie minnie) has been doing well on 1000 IU/day.

Of course this is the type of experimentation that requires testing and a doctor's supervision, since you can overdose and too much vitamin D is toxic.

caryn
Forum Moderator

Postby caryn » Fri Jun 11, 2010 11:11 am

You'll have to play it by ear; as I understand it, there's no formal rule for how this sort of followup is handled.

Anyone with low vitamin D might just have one of these genetic differences, and that could mean that she doesn't absorb D at normal rates from sunlight, or that she doesn't absorb D at normal rates from diet. Figuring out the rate at which she'll see a decline in her levels, and what sort of supplement dose she should take, will get worked out with her doctors over time.

Isn't it just <sarcasm> so fun! </sarcasm> to be on the cutting edge of medical research?

sam10
Forum Moderator

Postby sam10 » Fri Jun 11, 2010 00:11 am

Hi Laura,

I am wondering about the same. Even if my levels have gone up, and summer rolls around and I try to get some sun as often as possible, I assume I'll be on Vit D pills on a regular basis. Not sure how often my doctor recommends that I'll get checked though.

l412angel

Postby l412angel » Thu Jun 10, 2010 10:24 pm

Thank you everyone! Ok so IF your levels go back up to normal on the rx 50,000...will they stay up if your taking the 1000 iu daily? Or will it go back down? Are you supposed to be tested every Month or what?

I have been tested monthly and on the 50,000 iu once a week. My levels are still mid 30's I get rechecked tomorrow...but once my levels are up...am I still supposed to be tested throughout pregnancy or monthly in general?

kqkitty

Postby kqkitty » Thu Jun 10, 2010 08:46 pm

FYI...
My husband has MS and tested low on Vit D (common with MS).

He's been advised by his neurologist to take 5000 IU/day to get his levels back up.

Really, with sunscreen in everything and work what it is these days, most people don't get enough Vitamin D.

sam10
Forum Moderator

Postby sam10 » Thu Jun 10, 2010 04:31 pm

I am Vit. D deficient too (last time my level was 17). My doc put me on 50,000 Units once per week. I will be re-tested in a couple of weeks.

Also, sun exposure has been mentioned to me.

jamilyn

Postby jamilyn » Thu Jun 10, 2010 04:30 pm

Im not sure what the RX will do. He said since its usually older people with this problem they put them on it for life so we are both hoping that wont be my case. He was in the middle of patients so we didnt get into it too much he explained what he could but I could tell from his voice that I'll probably be getting a call from him later to go over things further. I am still anemic and have to now start taking viatmin C as well as the iron. I hate taking pills and dont like putting things in my body but guess I have to see if this will all help. I have to get my body healthy.

caryn
Forum Moderator

Postby caryn » Thu Jun 10, 2010 04:20 pm

Look what just popped up at Scientific American:

"The presence of harmful alleles at the three confirmed loci more than doubled the risk of vitamin D insufficiency," the researchers noted in their study, published online June 9 in The Lancet.

So I trundle over to the Lancet, which has the full article tucked away in their press room. And it says Whether genetic predisposition modifies response to sun exposure or dietary supplementation warrants further study, especially in view of the large interindividual differences that have been reported in response to treatment with identical doses of vitamin D. Furthermore, these variants might provide useful genetic approaches to investigate the role of vitamin D insufficiency in several chronic diseases with which this disorder has been epidemiologically linked.

Which is a fancy way of saying what I said -- they don't have answers to these questions yet and there are large individual differences so experiment with the help of your docs. :)

l412angel

Postby l412angel » Thu Jun 10, 2010 04:18 pm

Yes just always tricky issue. I guess I am just confused if you have to be on rx of Vit D...and your levels go up to normal...how do you keep them from declining again? Is the 100iu sufficient enough? I dont understand how a few rx rounds of meds fixes low vit d

jamilyn

Postby jamilyn » Thu Jun 10, 2010 03:56 pm

So happy to see this topic. I remember seeing a topic on Vitamin D a few months ago and was going to look for it again today. I had my PCP run the lab work along with all my other lab work last week and I got my results today. My liver levels 6 months later are finally almost normal but he said I was low for Vitamin D. I am at 20 which I guess it could be worse but I do live in Arizona which well I'm in the sun all year round especially with a 5 year old and puppy. He is calling me in a med to take once a week for a month then once a month after that, I dont know what it is or how strong it is but he said in 4-6 months we will re run the work and go from there. He said usually people with this problem are old so I think Ive surprised him again. LoL Im his little case study I think but luckily he is open to do whatever he can to get me healthy.

Return to “Ask the Experienced”