Post Partum headaches NEED Help!

This section is for discussions with other women who have probably been through the same signs/symptoms that you may be experiencing. Please note, we cannot offer medical advice and encourage members to discuss their concerns with their doctors. New members, come on in and introduce yourself!

Post Partum headaches NEED Help!

Postby mom2boys » Wed Jun 23, 2010 02:46 pm

Hi everyone,

I'm almost 3 weeks post partum and for the past couple of weeks I have horrible headaches. 1500 mg of tylenol helps for 5 hours, but if i don't take the next dose I will be in pain until it kicks in. Is this due to my blood pressure? It still runs high.

I'm on labetelol, 300 mg, twice per day. I was told by my OB to call my primary. Have an appointment in about an hour. I just don't get this! I didn't have headaches during pregnancy.

I find all of this very traumatic. I don't want to be sick. And when I think I have health issues from having a baby I get really upset. It isn't suppose to be this way.

I thought I was in recovery until a new symptom kicks in.

Thanks for reading and any support. I'm so thankful for this site.
mom2boys

Re : Post Partum headaches NEED Help!

Postby sam10 » Wed Jun 23, 2010 03:08 pm

I am sorry you are feeling so bad. Unfortunately PE can be bad PP too. I was told it can get worse/kick in up to 6 weeks PP.
I think it is a good idea to go see your primary care, and if he is not responsive keep pushing and tell the entire story and tell them it can be bad also PP!!

PE can be very traumatizing, I know (((HUGS)))

sam10
Forum Moderator

Postby heather j » Wed Jun 23, 2010 03:25 pm

That sounds terribly similar to my experience after DS's birth. I had no headaches during the pregnancy, but a few days after his delivery, they set in BIG time and basically left me unable to function on even a basic level. I was discharged on my final release with percocet for the headaches (CT ruled out anything super bad) and followed up with my new internist for both lingering bp issues and headaches. The headaches continued after my bps normalized and we initially tried to treat them with drugs like imitrex. Eventually, given the absurd number of headaches I was having (pain, auras, nausea, vomiting, dizziness), we decided to try inderal (propranolol) which is used to treat bps, but is also used to *prevent* migraines as it's a maintenance med. This is eventually what did the trick for me. Oddly, I had a lot of headaches throughout DD's pregnancy, but haven't had any migraines since. Strange.

Also, I wanted to ask if you by any chance had a c-section with a spinal? If so, you could be experiencing a spinal headache. Does the pain stop when you lie completely flat on your back? If so, it could be a spinal headache which can be fixed by a quick blood patch.

I hope you were able to get some thoughts from your primary! It's horrible when preeclampsia just keeps messing with your life and well-being.
heather j
Forum Moderator

Postby missgamecock » Wed Jun 23, 2010 05:09 pm

I left the hospital on the max dose of fiorinal when I had Cate and Sara. Since I had Sara, I get migraines now. Dr says the stress of pregnancy and pe brought it out...
missgamecock

Postby mom2boys » Wed Jun 23, 2010 10:09 pm

Thanks everyone.

Heather, no c-section. Though had an epidural. That was 3 weeks ago though. Could i really be feeling it from then?

My primary added a 3rd dose of labetelol to be taken at noon. My BP is still labile on the 2 doses I take now. Tomorrow I'll try the added dose and hopefully my pressures will stabilize.

Did anyone breastfeed their babies and take BP medication? My primary won't change my medication, only modify due to nursing.

When I think about all of this happening, i.e. high bp, traumatic labor, etc, I get so upset. I hope my sensitivity is due to the pregnancy hormones still out of whack. I can't go on like this forever.

This website really helps me. Everyone responds so quick and tells me I am not alone.

thanks again....and if anyone has similar experiences pleeeease post.
mom2boys

Postby alviarin » Wed Jun 23, 2010 11:34 pm

My migraines got worse postpartum. It also took a couple months postpartum for my blood pressure to stabilize. I've breastfed on methyldopa, nifedipine and verapamil ER. Verapamil is also used off-label as a migraine preventative.

Getting my vitamin D levels up seemed to help with my migraines. My sister has had migraines as a symptom of anemia.
alviarin
Forum Moderator

Postby lilillini » Wed Jun 23, 2010 11:56 pm

Labetalol, Nifedipine, Methyldopa, Propanolol, Timolol, and Verapamil are all category L2, which means "safer" for breastfeeding. I wouldn't hesitate to breastfeed on an L2, and was on Labetalol while pumping for DD in the NICU, and on Propanolol while pumping for DS in the NICU.

Preeclampsia and premature delivery are very traumatic experiences. Please don't hesitate to talk to someone about your feelings if you need to.

I hope your BP stabilizes and your headaches go away soon! My BP was elevated after delivering DD, but not so much that I needed to be medicated after the first couple of weeks. I ended up trying acupuncture, which helped my BP go from 120s/70s-80s to my normal of 100s/60s in a handful of sessions.
lilillini

Postby christina89 » Sat Jun 26, 2010 01:31 pm

I have had head aches to from all of what has happened to me. My Dr. say's it is from my blood pressure and also PP. They are seem to be getting a bit better and It has been almost 3 weeks since I gave birth to my son <3 PE and HELLP are horrible as if they don't give you enough problems when you are pregnant,they have to mess with you after wards. I to am getting angry about not being able to get better. I know the time will come for me to get better and I know you will to.Emotionally it's going to take awhile longer and my husband and I support eachother and talk ALOT, and thats been helping so much. After losing our son we were scared we would lose eachother. I hope this helps you some.
christina89

Return to Ask the Experienced