Post Reply FAQ Members Login

Lovenox: Cost and Insurance

This section is for discussions with other women who have probably been through the same signs/symptoms that you may be experiencing. Please note, we cannot offer medical advice and encourage members to discuss their concerns with their doctors. New members, come on in and introduce yourself!

Lovenox: Cost and Insurance

Postby riehlism » Tue Aug 17, 2010 01:04 am

by riehlism (655 Posts), Tue Aug 17, 2010 01:04 am

Many of the women here have mentioned they were placed on Lovenox in subsequent pregnancies. From what I read, Lovenox is pretty pricey.

I know it depends on your insurance coverage, but how much have some of you had to shell out to get Lovenox?

I know Heparin is an option, but that's a twice a day shot. Just trying to prepare for the future.
riehlism

Re : Lovenox: Cost and Insurance

Postby kara » Tue Aug 17, 2010 11:24 am

by kara (6614 Posts), Tue Aug 17, 2010 11:24 am

Without insurance lovenox can cost $1000 and up. With insurance it depends on your rx coverage. Some have tiers so they pay increasing amounts depending on what tier it's in (usually the most expensive tier), some may make you cover the difference in price between heparin and lovenox, which is significant, and others may not cover it because heparin is available, or may cover it only if your physician gives reason why you can't be on heparin. It really all depends on your coverage. You can usually search for your prescription coverage online and find lovenox specifically.
kara
Forum Moderator

Postby heather j » Tue Aug 17, 2010 11:41 am

by heather j (4882 Posts), Tue Aug 17, 2010 11:41 am

Also, I thought I'd mention a recent discussion in the Pregnant Again forum that led me to have a discussion with my MFM and peri. A generic for lovenox was released at the end of July. According to both my pharmacist and MFM, the efficacy is the exact same and replicated in the generic form, but the makers of Lovenox aren't too happy about the patent running out. Long story short, I started the generic last week. If you pay a set amount for generic drugs (ours is $10), then your savings should be substantial, but if your plan requires you to pay a percentage of the drug cost, the savings aren't there yet. The pharmacist said it's only slightly cheaper than lovenox to the insurance providers, but the savings is significant to the consumer if your plan has set costs rather than percentages. My MFM was actually really pleased to see the patent expire and encouraged me to fill the generic.
heather j
Forum Moderator

Postby l412angel » Tue Aug 17, 2010 05:36 pm

by l412angel (1746 Posts), Tue Aug 17, 2010 05:36 pm

For me 40$ a month and let me say once a day is way better than twice! I have blue cross insurance. You can always call your insurance company and ask, that way there are no surprises
l412angel

Postby nbjazmin » Tue Aug 17, 2010 07:11 pm

by nbjazmin (36 Posts), Tue Aug 17, 2010 07:11 pm

mine was 1100 a month and I took it for all the months I was pregnant. Aetna insurance paid for it and I had a 25.00 copay thankfully. I would have gone the heparin route had it not been covered.
nbjazmin

Postby angieb » Thu Oct 07, 2010 02:08 am

by angieb (1192 Posts), Thu Oct 07, 2010 02:08 am

Came across this while I was searching, my lovenox was originally going to be $200 a month, but my MFM wants me to do 2 shots a day of it. (That seems a bit much which is why I was searching it to see if anyone else is on a similar dose.)

Then I asked about the generic and the pharmacist did not even know that there was one until I insisted that there was and it just came out in July. That brought it from $200 to $10. I still won't be totally convinced until it's in my hands for $10 for the month's supply, but to be honest I was okay with the $200 a month if that's what it takes. (Glad it doesn't!!!)

My MFM would let me do heparin also and wrote me scripts for both because they weren't sure which would be covered with my insurance. I decided to try the generic lovenox first, because the heparin is not in pre-filled syringes, and I worry about killing myself with an air bubble because I'm neurotic like that!
angieb

Return to Ask the Experienced