How often do high risk pregnant women get an ultrasound?

Are you pregnant again after having preeclampsia once already in a previous pregnancy? Post your thoughts/concerns here - there are others who share your feelings. This is also the home of our Bedrest Buddies Support group.

How often do high risk pregnant women get an ultrasound?

Postby ktsl123 » Sun Nov 14, 2010 01:36 pm

How often do high risk prego's get an ultrasound?
Son born healthy at 5lbs 8oz at 35 weeks +2 days due to Severe PE on 7-21-09
ktsl123

Re: How often do high risk pregnant women get an ultrasound?

Postby angieb » Sun Nov 14, 2010 01:44 pm

It really depends on the doctor and practice.

I officially only go for an ultrasound every 4 weeks for now (13 wks), but it doesn't really sound like my MFM plans to make them more frequent unless something comes up that they specifically need to watch (like where the placenta is in relation to my c-section scar, etc.) Right now they are mostly doing them for growth so they like to keep them 4 weeks for that, though I've seen some people that have them every 2. My MFM has also done an unofficial ultrasound just to check on the baby at both of my appointments so far, also. (They did this in lieu of the doppler because I was before 12 weeks, I think that from now on they'll probably mostly just do the doppler there.)
Me (29) DH (30)
#1-Olivia Caetlyn-9-28-09-9-28-09, 23+2 wks, emergency classic c-section, class I HELLP, IUGR
#2- Lucas Oliver (rainbow baby)- April 2011, 36+2 wks, HELLP and pre-e free! (lovenox and LDA pregnancy)
#3-Matthew, late October 2012...mostly normal, 37 wks, (lovenox and LDA again)
My blog: http://www.butterflies-and-rainbows.blogspot.com/
angieb

Postby heather j » Sun Nov 14, 2010 03:33 pm

My experience last pregnancy and this time is the same as Angie's. We did a viability scan at 6 weeks then another at 8 weeks (after that point the Doppler picked up h/b). I had the first trimester screening u/s at 13 weeks, then an anatomy scan at 18 weeks. From that point, we've done growth scans every four weeks (every other visit). Around 32 weeks, we'll start weekly BPPs, too, and continue with the growth scans.
Heather (PAI-1 4G/4G) mama to:
Nicolas Edison (6/2004) 36 weeks, PE, HELLP, and placental abruption
Ella Amelia (3/2007) 37 weeks, lovenox, PE-free
Oliver Lyon (1/2011) 37 weeks, lovenox, PE-free
heather j
Forum Moderator

Postby jenmatt1 » Mon Nov 15, 2010 08:23 am

The scans during this pregnancy have actually been less than my first. With my first I had a circumvalle placenta- which meant the placenta was oddly shaped and could possibly cause growth restriction- so they did they very often. Plus the placenta was in the front so they had hard time getting heart beat on doppler so they would often do u/s. This time, I had more scans at beginning and once everything looked ok, I had them less often. But if I am concerned about something my doc is not afraid to just go ahead and do one for my peace of mind. I would ask your doc about when they plan on doing them and what about if you have concerns.
Mom to Olivia 4/4/2008 born at 34 1/2 weeks due to class I HELLP
Declan born 1/4/2011- no HELLP or PE- YEAH
jenmatt1

Postby amandamm » Mon Nov 15, 2010 08:52 am

Once I started going to an MFM it was every 3-4 weeks.
Mom to Addie & Evie, Pre-E x2 (34w6d & 37w2d)
due December 28, 2011!
In our hearts forever: missed miscarriage @ 10 weeks (July 2008) & miscarriage at 7 weeks (February 2009)

Addie Lu & Evie Too ~ Deda's Little Duds
amandamm

Postby l412angel » Mon Nov 15, 2010 12:28 am

Every doctor is different. I am 21 weeks and I go in every 4 weeks, once I hit 26 I will be requesting to be in every two weeks. Dont feel like you can't ask them to be seen more frequently
Laura Angel (Factor V Leiden)
Mommy to Cara Angel 2LBS 11OZ 16 IN. Born at 30 weeks due to Severe PE & HELLP.
"My life went with you sweetheart the day angels called you home"

Our Rainbow Baby Carter born March 5 2011 7lbs 7oz 20.5in 36 weeks 4days PE FREE

Baby #3 due June 2012
l412angel

Postby apd » Mon Nov 15, 2010 01:39 pm

I had one at 7 weeks to assess viability. One at 12 for nuchal translucency. One at 18 for anatomy. One at 22 weeks for a uterine artery exam - no notching! I'm 26 weeks now and will have another ultrasound with my MFM at 28 weeks to assess growth since our son had IUGR too. I guess the results at 28 weeks will dictate when the next one would occur. I'm assuming every 2 weeks if the baby's measuring small and probably a month if the baby's measuring well. Hope this helps!
apd

Postby aajatwins » Mon Nov 15, 2010 01:55 pm

You also want to make sure that your OB marks your u/s as high risk so that your insurance will pay for it. Typically, insurance only pays for a certain number of them, so past that number they need to be labelled high risk.
With twins, it's probably different, but I was high risk because of a shared placenta. I had appt with the OB every 2 weeks pretty early on and then by 32 weeks, I was seen twice a week. I remember only a handful of appts that did not include u/s, but I know they were checking fluid and growth every time. One of the nice things about seeing the u/s techs that often was that they would just flip over to the 4D almost every time in the 3rd trimester! It's hard to get good pictures of twins, so they all tried just for fun. And they were all free! I will really miss that in my next pregnancy(ies)!!
Anna (28) - endometriosis
Hubby (27)
Aidan & Jordan - 7.2.09 at 36 weeks. Induction turned emergency c-section due to eclampsia. big healthy toddlers today!
Asa - 10.23.11 at 39 weeks. NO hypertensive issues!! successful VBAC :)
aajatwins
Forum Moderator

Postby chloeada » Fri Nov 26, 2010 09:28 pm

My daughter was IUGR so this pregnancy I have had growth ultrasounds every month, then every 2 weeks to make sure this baby keeps growing. I have probably had at least 6-8 u/s at the maternal/fetal evaluation part of the hospital, plus my perinatologist "peeks" sometimes at my regular appointments. However, now that I'm 38 weeks and he's still measuring at the 40th percentile, I'm not getting any more ultrasounds until I deliver.
chloeada

Postby korie » Fri Nov 26, 2010 10:31 pm

I had about 4 or 5 before 31 weeks and then 1 BPP a week from then on. I also have NSTs twice weekly. I spend a lot of time there! lol With my first I had them every week as well, oftne a couple a week. with my second I only had about 5 total.
korie

Return to Pregnant Again?