High white blood cell counts and pre-e

This section is for discussions with other women who have probably been through the same signs/symptoms that you may be experiencing. Please note, we cannot offer medical advice and encourage members to discuss their concerns with their doctors. New members, come on in and introduce yourself!

High white blood cell counts and pre-e

Postby Nickipetersen@hotmail.com » Wed Apr 25, 2012 07:50 pm

This is my first post so I'm not sure where to start... I got preeclampsia with my first pregnancy and my daughter was delivered at 28 weeks. Luckily she's healthy and really had very few complictions after delivery (we were really lucky). We are planning on trying again this summer so I've been trying to find out as much as I can this time around. I Just got a copy of my lab work from the hospital and noticed that my wbc was really high.

12.9 k/ul
19.7 (day of delivery)
23.6 (day after delivery)

My husband said that he remembers the nurses saying that it was evidence that my immune system was trying to fight the baby but I can't really remember anything that the nurses said ( not sure if it's from the pre-e or if I just repressed a lot of it :). Anyways, I haven't been able to find anything regarding high white blood cell counts and pre-e which I find strange since that is one of the theories (the immune system fighting off the placenta that is). I figured that most women with pre-e would have high wbc counts. I'm wondering if anyone knows if this is a normal occurance.

Thanks!! I love the info on this site!
Nickipetersen@hotmail.com

Re: High white blood cell counts and pre-e

Postby ktsl123 » Thu Apr 26, 2012 11:34 pm

That's interesting... When I was preg from the 8 weeks I was always told I have high Leukocytes (white blood cells) when they did the urine dip sticks at every check up. They actually sent me to the urologist because they believed I must have a uti infection even though there was no bacteria.
Son born healthy at 5lbs 8oz at 35 weeks +2 days due to Severe PE on 7-21-09
ktsl123

Postby Nickipetersen@hotmail.com » Fri Apr 27, 2012 00:30 am

So is it possible for a kidney infection to present as pre-e? Or would there be other symptoms that would make it easy to distinguish?
Nickipetersen@hotmail.com

Postby ktsl123 » Wed May 02, 2012 00:16 am

I have never heard of a kidney infection being mistaken for PE. I never had a kidney infection either. I was just thinking that maybe the high white blood cells in my urine were some kind of sign that I was getting PE. I never did feel like I had a UTI and the Dr's always said I had no bacteria.
Son born healthy at 5lbs 8oz at 35 weeks +2 days due to Severe PE on 7-21-09
ktsl123

Postby caryn » Wed May 02, 2012 01:19 pm

Yes. I had to hunt for an authoritative citation.

Neutrophils are a kind of white blood cells, so I searched PubMed for "neutrophil elevated preeclampsia":

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19452432

"The total leukocyte count was significantly increased in women with severe PE compared with women with mild PE and normal pregnant controls: 10.66 +/- 3.70 ( P < 0.0001) versus 9.47 +/- 2.59 and 8.55 +/- 1.93 (1 x 10 (3)/microL), respectively. The increased total leukocyte count was mainly due to the increase in neutrophil numbers: 8.05 +/- 4.01 (severe; P < 0.0001) versus 6.69 +/- 2.23 (mild) and 5.90 +/- 1.79 (controls), respectively. The total neutrophil count was further increased 48 hours after delivery in the group with severe PE."

So yes, white blood cell counts are elevated even in mild PE and are waaaay elevated in severe PE.
Science! The articles you don't want to miss:
The Preeclampsia Puzzle (New Yorker) and Silent Struggle: A New Theory of Pregnancy (New York Times)
Looking for recent articles and studies? Lectures from researchers?
A chance to participate in research? For us on Facebook or Twitter?

Caryn, @carynjrogers, who is not a doctor and who talks about science stuff *way* too much
DS Oscar born by emergent C-section at 34 weeks for fetal indicators, due to severe PE
DD Bridget born by C-section after water broke at 39 weeks after a healthy pregnancy
caryn
Forum Moderator

Return to Ask the Experienced