Post Reply FAQ Members Login

nose bleeds

This section is for discussions with other women who have probably been through the same signs/symptoms that you may be experiencing. Please note, we cannot offer medical advice and encourage members to discuss their concerns with their doctors. New members, come on in and introduce yourself!

nose bleeds

Postby jaundice01 » Fri Aug 06, 2004 08:10 am

by jaundice01 (2 Posts), Fri Aug 06, 2004 08:10 am

Hello everyone,
I was just diagnosed with PE but it is mild. The biggest worry right now is the protein in my urine and my headaches. So, here's my question. I've heard that the headaches are caused by your brain swelling. If this is true, can another side effect be nosebleeds? I've never had them before and now i'm a little worried.
Thanx
jaundice01

Re : nose bleeds

Postby catherine » Fri Aug 06, 2004 08:24 am

by catherine (2832 Posts), Fri Aug 06, 2004 08:24 am

The nosebleed issues are tricky.

The simply and most common explanation is that they result from the enhancement of activity at mucous membranes that occurs during pregnancy. I had nosebleeds out of the blue all through the second and third trimesters of my first two pregnancies. Only in the second did I have preeclampsia.

However, once you stray into the territory of preeclampsia you do need to bear an alternative explanation in mind. One of the extreme varients of preeclampsia, called HELLP syndrome, involves the destruction of blood platelets and that can stop blood clotting well. If they go very low there is a risk that bad things can happen. If you did have a nose bleed, or had bleeding from gums or some other site that was very slow to stop, I wouldn't hesitate to get in touch with your OB or even to go to L&D to get checked.

I know that sounds like a hugely scary explanation and I really don't want you to freak out and worry like crazy. The top explanation is the one that is by far and away the most likely. The best way to deal is to know the warning signs and symptoms, etc. The "headache", visual disturbances, severe epigastric pain etc. are all really good reasons to call and check with the folk overseeing your medical care.

Catherine
Mom to Finn, Lucy (preeclampsia and HELLP) and Chloe.
Moderator HELLP Syndrome Survivors
catherine
Forum Moderator

Postby ann marie » Fri Aug 06, 2004 08:36 am

by ann marie (1034 Posts), Fri Aug 06, 2004 08:36 am

Catherine gave you such a beautiful explaination I really have nothing to add. If in doubt call your OB.

Ann Marie (29)Moderator for "Ask the Experienced"
DH: Matt (32)
PIH/PE/Low Amniotic Fluid
Luke 3/17/04--37 weeks after 15 weeks of bedrest
ann marie

Postby peanutsmom » Fri Aug 06, 2004 08:36 am

by peanutsmom (465 Posts), Fri Aug 06, 2004 08:36 am

I had HELLP and I believe a nose bleed was my first sign. It happened a week or so before the pain started. I got in the shower one morning and my nose was bleeding terribly. It stopped a few minutes later and I never brought it up to my doctor. I would definitely let your doctor know. It is probably nothing, but it can't hurt to check it out further.

Dawn
Carolyn born at 36 weeks- PE with severe HELLP
#2 due 3/05
peanutsmom

Return to Ask the Experienced