Post Reply FAQ Members Login

Preeclampsia,Sheehan's Syndrome,Damaged Adrenal Gl

This section is for discussions with other women who have probably been through the same signs/symptoms that you may be experiencing. Please note, we cannot offer medical advice and encourage members to discuss their concerns with their doctors. New members, come on in and introduce yourself!

Preeclampsia,Sheehan's Syndrome,Damaged Adrenal Gl

Postby shadow205 » Mon Aug 16, 2004 11:16 am

by shadow205 (68 Posts), Mon Aug 16, 2004 11:16 am

I have so many questions, I don't know where to start. My Daughter developed pre-eclampsia at 38 weeks. Sudden onset, BP was 196/110 at Dr's appt. Baby was delivered that day. He aspirated on amniotic fluid and required 10 day stay in NICU. My daughters recovery seemed slower than usual with constant headaches. 4 weeks later she was rushed to emergency room in severe pain in right side and fever of 104. I will try to condense what happened next. After every test you could think of, they found that she had a severe kidney infection.She was not responding to antibiotics. Her BP was now 70/40. It would then shoot back up to the 190's/110's then drop again. As a result of some of the blood work it was found that her Adrenal Gland was not working and that there is possible damage to her Pituitary gland also. According to the Endocrinoligist, he beleives that when her blood preasure went so high it caused the adrenal gland to rupture. They are still trying to determine the extent of the damage.He beleives that she has Sheehan's Syndrome which is a result of severe blood loss during delivery.Is this a result of the mag sulphate? We were not aware that she had a severe blood loss. Everything is so confusing at this point and there are so many questions unanswered. She is currently on meds for the BP, steroids to try and keep the adrenal and pituitary gland in balance and antibiotics. She has to have surgery to remove a stint that was placed in her kidney but can't until they can get her more stabelized.
Anyone have any info on pre-elampsia causes this sort of thing? Sorry this was so long but beleive it or not, I left out alot of stuff to try and shorten it!
shadow205

Re : Preeclampsia,Sheehan's Syndrome,Damaged Adrenal Gl

Postby julie f » Mon Aug 16, 2004 11:32 am

by julie f (7993 Posts), Mon Aug 16, 2004 11:32 am

Oh my goodness, your daughter has been through a lot! I am so sorry to hear of her complications.

Unfortunately, I don't have too many answers for you but, I hope someone will be on here soon who does.

About the mag sulfate - I've never heard that it causes blood loss, it's waht is used to prevent seizures with high blood pressure levels. Soemone women with preeclampsia will experience quite a bit of blood loss because their platelet levels drop and blood has a hard time clotting. Not sure if this was you daughter's case but, you could ask the dr., the platelet levels should be in her lab work.

Please keep us updated on your daughter's condition, she is in my prayers.

Julie (27)
Zachary James, 7/22/03-7/27/03, born at 26wks - severe pe

Miracle in progress... #2 is due February 2005!!!

Southern California Coordinator
julie f

Postby ann marie » Mon Aug 16, 2004 01:34 pm

by ann marie (1034 Posts), Mon Aug 16, 2004 01:34 pm

I'm so sorry to hear all the problems your daughter has had. I don't have experience with the issues she is struggling with, but I'm sure someone here will chime in soon. Once the dust settles and her health stabilizes a bit it may be a good idea to meet with the OB to rehash exactly what happend and why and it's implications for the future.

Ann Marie (29)Moderator for "Ask the Experienced" and "Bedrest"
DH: Matt (32)
PIH/PE/Low Amniotic Fluid
Luke 3/17/04--37 weeks after 15 weeks of bedrest
ann marie

Postby deerhart » Mon Aug 16, 2004 09:05 pm

by deerhart (3282 Posts), Mon Aug 16, 2004 09:05 pm

I would have to agree with Julie, I have not heard of mag sulfate causing blood loss, but low platettes can be a complication of PE pregnancy's and lead to blood loss.

Erin

Moderator - Parents of Preemies
Missouri State Coordinator
Mommy to Alex (4)and Mason (1 1/2)
Law Student - 1 year done, 2 to go
deerhart

Postby tanya » Tue Aug 17, 2004 02:47 pm

by tanya (621 Posts), Tue Aug 17, 2004 02:47 pm

Oh my goodness, I am so sorry to hear of your daughter's experience. I also would have to agree with Erin and Julie about the mag sulfate. Hope you can find the answers you are looking for. Please keep us posted on your daughter's recovery.

Take Care,
Tanya
Jason(DH)
Leah born 2/4/99 at 34 weeks ...PIH
Miscarriage 10 weeks
Grant born 3/29/01 at 31 weeks... Severe PE
Miracle #3 EDD 01/27/05
tanya

Postby cathyw » Tue Aug 17, 2004 03:48 pm

by cathyw (99 Posts), Tue Aug 17, 2004 03:48 pm

Hello. I am very sorry to hear of all your daughter's medical issues. It must be so stressful and frightening for all of you. As for the mag sulfate, this medicine can make it difficult for the uterus to contract (it relaxes the muscles). Therefore, your daughter may have experienced blood loss for that reason. I received mag sulfate along with pitocin after baby #2's delivery. The pitocin helped counteract the effects of the mag on my uterus.

I will be praying for a speedy recovery for your daughter. I too had blood pressures in your daughter's range with my first pregnancy for several weeks surrounding the delivery. I had an incompetent doctor but that is a story for another day! It took several months for my blood pressure to return to normal with medication. With the second pregnancy, my pressure never went above 150/100 and bounced right back to normal following the delivery without medication.
Hang in there!!

Cathy 36
Johnny, 21 months (former 32 weeker d/t Severe Pre-E)
Katrina, 1 month (36 weeks, 6 days due to Mild Pre-E)
cathyw

Postby shadow205 » Thu Aug 19, 2004 05:43 am

by shadow205 (68 Posts), Thu Aug 19, 2004 05:43 am

Well back to the Doctor today.With so many followup appointments it's hard to keep up with which Doctor is monitoring what.Thanxs to those of you who responded to my post. I thnk that I will probably become a "Frequent Flyer" here. It helps to read others stories and outcomes. I never really understood that PE could cause such long lasting effects. My Daughter is coping as well as can be expected with what she has gone through. Our goal at the moment is to learn as much as we can about PE & Endocrinology since her problems with the Endocrine system seem to be a result of the Preeclampsia.We are still trying to understand why the OBGYN did not realize that she was in serious trouble prior to delivery and act sooner. Will post info as we progress.
shadow205

Postby tuscanny » Mon Sep 13, 2004 04:06 am

by tuscanny (1 Posts), Mon Sep 13, 2004 04:06 am

Hello,
Sorry to hear about your daughter I know first had what she is going through. I had my son May 27th 1994. I will never forget that day, and the days that followed. My son was delivered by C-section following his delivery I went to recovery and then my room.Was given a shot of what I was told Demoral, I remember feeling really sick to my stomach and I felt as tho I was going to throw up and pass out at the same time. I told my sister to call the nurse and that is about all I remembered at that point. My sister later told me that my blood pressure and serverly dropped and I had went into shock.

Next I remember getting this terrible headache that lasted about two days. Then following that I got double phumonmia. My blood count dropped down to two. Long story short I recovered from that. I tried to get my milk to come down nothing happened. I belive I stayed in the hosptial for about 8-10 days my baby went home before me.

The next few years were very terrible for me I just never felt like my normal self always tired no energy. Just could never get back to my normal sef I went to several doctors telling them somthing is wrong with me. Also I never had a period again my cycle stopped at 31 years old. I was not until 2001 I had changed doctors we sat down and talked I told he what had happend to me and he said it sounds like I had Sheehan Syndrome never before was a name put with what I was feeling.

I sorry I can not tell you that I feel great now I was referred to a Endocronoligist and I am presently taking growth hormone. There are so many side effects with the medication that I dont take it that often. I am always tired and pushing myself. Would like to know if you found out any new information regarding your daughter that might help me also. Keep in touch I would really like to know her progress
tuscanny

Postby shadow205 » Sun Jan 30, 2005 04:32 pm

by shadow205 (68 Posts), Sun Jan 30, 2005 04:32 pm

It has been 7 months since I first posted here concerning my Daughter. I am still searching for information about what happened to her. Unfortunately she is still having medical problems. I have read everything that I can find as far as "long term effects". It seems that most beleive that once the baby is delivered everything pretty much gets back to normal. In my daughters case, she was the picture of health before becoming pregnant. She developed severe preeclampsia at about 37 weeks. She had swelling all over, her face was bad. He lips were so swollen that it looked like someone had punched her in the mouth. Her ears were even swollen. Her BP was in the 190's/110's range. Unfortunaltely her BP is still there if not on medication. She is still on daily dose of prednisone and has side effects from that. We have been told by one Doctor that she had HELLP also. He belevies that that is what caused the damage to her adrenal gland and possibly her pituitary gland also. She was hospitalized during Christmas for dehydration and to head off an adrenal crises. I am waiting for medical records so I can look at her labs during pregnancy. I beleive that there were problems earlier that were not taken seriously. Thank you for this site and all of the information here.
shadow205

Postby denise » Sun Jan 30, 2005 06:42 pm

by denise (5480 Posts), Sun Jan 30, 2005 06:42 pm

Thank you for the update. Sounds like the baby must be okay. Sorry to hear your daughter is still having bp issues. Have the doctors offered any info as to how long or what else to do about her bp? Unfortunately, PE can strike hard and fast. Did she have some signs of PE in the weeks prior to delivery?

If you need some info on HELLP syndrome, please look at the HELLP section of the boards http://www.preeclampsia.org/forum/forum.asp?FORUM_ID=21

The HELLP Syndrome Society is another great place for info as well.
http://members.aol.com/hellp1995/index.html

Please keep us posted when you can. If you have more questions, please do not hesistate to ask.

-------
Denise (28) Co-coordinator for WI
Jason (32)
Ariana (20 months)5/3/03-just shy of 35 weeks: Class 1 HELLP
http://hometown.aol.com/scrapperlang/Home.htm
denise

Next

Return to Ask the Experienced