Preeclampsia,Sheehan's Syndrome,Damaged Adrenal Gl

This section is for discussions with other women who have probably been through the same signs/symptoms that you may be experiencing. Please note, we cannot offer medical advice and encourage members to discuss their concerns with their doctors. New members, come on in and introduce yourself!
smitty1212

Re : Preeclampsia,Sheehan's Syndrome,Damaged Adrenal Gl

Postby smitty1212 » Fri Jun 16, 2006 05:52 pm

Nancy - I have chronic high blood pressure. Because of this my OB was watching me very closely during both my pregnancies. My first was problem free, so when she continued this "hyper-vigilance" in my second pregnancy I found it mildly annoying. It seemed like I was going to the doctor or having an ultrasound or doing a 24 hour urine collection every week the entire pregnancy. However, when I developed some mild, early warning signs of HELLP in my 34th week, my doc was on the ball. She sent me to the hospital to be admitted to do further bloodwork. Again I was sure she was over reacting, but I listened to her. Four hours after I got to the hospital my daughter was born via energency c-section.

I'm reading this late, so I don't know how far along your other daughter is. My advice for her would be to know the signs and symptoms of HELLP and PE. There are a lot of stories on other specifically HELLP websites (www.hellpsyndrome.org; www.hellpsyndrome.com). Many of the stories with the most tragic outcomes seem to be when symptoms were missed and untreated right away. Because of my doctor's knowledge I was fine after my c-section, and still am thus far. Good luck!

season
Forum Moderator

Postby season » Wed Mar 29, 2006 12:36 am

I am glad to hear that your daughter is doing better.

As for her sister, I would make sure that she discusses with her doctor what happenned to her older sister. Hopefully, with close monitoring, if she does begin to develop similar issues she can recieve the necessary treatment in a timely manner. As well she should be aware of the signs and symptoms, so that she can bring any concerns to ehr docotr,a s they may occur.

lyndsey

Postby lyndsey » Wed Mar 29, 2006 12:27 am

I wasn't a member of this board until more recently so I was unaware of your daughter's situation, but I'm very glad that she was able to recover from such a horrible experience. Your younger daughter will be in my thoughts and prayers.

shadow205

Postby shadow205 » Wed Mar 29, 2006 08:45 am

It has been over a year since my last post and I just wanted to post an update. I am happy to report that my daughter is doing great. A year after the birth of her son, everything started working right again.Her adrinal gland kicked into action and her blood pressure returned to normal. She is now medication free and everything is staying in the normal range. Her endocrinologist really cannot explain why everything just suddenly returned to normal or why it took a year after her giving birth for it to do so. I am just so thankfull that it did.
Now, I am concerned about my younger daughter who is almost 6 months pregnant and I'm afraid is going to have problems. I am going to start a new thread about her. I guess you will be seeing me around here again.

shadow205

Postby shadow205 » Tue Feb 01, 2005 07:35 pm

Denise,

Yes I am thankful to say the baby is doing great. Had a rough start and was hospitalized a couple of weeks ago for pneumonia but he is good now. He is so special and of course the light of my life.

shadow205

Postby shadow205 » Tue Feb 01, 2005 07:30 pm

Just a quick update. My Daughter had an appointment today with a wonderful Endocrinologist at the University of Virginia Medical Center. (ranked 5th in the Nation). She took so much interest in my daughter and that was reassuring. She is anxious to get all of the medical records from her OBGYN & the hospital to see when things started going wrong. I hope that once that is established they will have a better idea of what to do next. The Doctor changed her medicine today, took her off of Prednisone. Instead she is now on a fast acting steroid that hopefully won't have so many side effects. The Doctor thinks that there was damage to the pituitary gland during delivery caused by a loss of blood. She is seeing a Neurolgist next week to look into that further. I will post an update after that.

denise

Postby denise » Sun Jan 30, 2005 06:42 pm

Thank you for the update. Sounds like the baby must be okay. Sorry to hear your daughter is still having bp issues. Have the doctors offered any info as to how long or what else to do about her bp? Unfortunately, PE can strike hard and fast. Did she have some signs of PE in the weeks prior to delivery?

If you need some info on HELLP syndrome, please look at the HELLP section of the boards http://www.preeclampsia.org/forum/forum.asp?FORUM_ID=21

The HELLP Syndrome Society is another great place for info as well.
http://members.aol.com/hellp1995/index.html

Please keep us posted when you can. If you have more questions, please do not hesistate to ask.

-------
Denise (28) Co-coordinator for WI
Jason (32)
Ariana (20 months)5/3/03-just shy of 35 weeks: Class 1 HELLP
http://hometown.aol.com/scrapperlang/Home.htm

shadow205

Postby shadow205 » Sun Jan 30, 2005 04:32 pm

It has been 7 months since I first posted here concerning my Daughter. I am still searching for information about what happened to her. Unfortunately she is still having medical problems. I have read everything that I can find as far as "long term effects". It seems that most beleive that once the baby is delivered everything pretty much gets back to normal. In my daughters case, she was the picture of health before becoming pregnant. She developed severe preeclampsia at about 37 weeks. She had swelling all over, her face was bad. He lips were so swollen that it looked like someone had punched her in the mouth. Her ears were even swollen. Her BP was in the 190's/110's range. Unfortunaltely her BP is still there if not on medication. She is still on daily dose of prednisone and has side effects from that. We have been told by one Doctor that she had HELLP also. He belevies that that is what caused the damage to her adrenal gland and possibly her pituitary gland also. She was hospitalized during Christmas for dehydration and to head off an adrenal crises. I am waiting for medical records so I can look at her labs during pregnancy. I beleive that there were problems earlier that were not taken seriously. Thank you for this site and all of the information here.

tuscanny

Postby tuscanny » Mon Sep 13, 2004 04:06 am

Hello,
Sorry to hear about your daughter I know first had what she is going through. I had my son May 27th 1994. I will never forget that day, and the days that followed. My son was delivered by C-section following his delivery I went to recovery and then my room.Was given a shot of what I was told Demoral, I remember feeling really sick to my stomach and I felt as tho I was going to throw up and pass out at the same time. I told my sister to call the nurse and that is about all I remembered at that point. My sister later told me that my blood pressure and serverly dropped and I had went into shock.

Next I remember getting this terrible headache that lasted about two days. Then following that I got double phumonmia. My blood count dropped down to two. Long story short I recovered from that. I tried to get my milk to come down nothing happened. I belive I stayed in the hosptial for about 8-10 days my baby went home before me.

The next few years were very terrible for me I just never felt like my normal self always tired no energy. Just could never get back to my normal sef I went to several doctors telling them somthing is wrong with me. Also I never had a period again my cycle stopped at 31 years old. I was not until 2001 I had changed doctors we sat down and talked I told he what had happend to me and he said it sounds like I had Sheehan Syndrome never before was a name put with what I was feeling.

I sorry I can not tell you that I feel great now I was referred to a Endocronoligist and I am presently taking growth hormone. There are so many side effects with the medication that I dont take it that often. I am always tired and pushing myself. Would like to know if you found out any new information regarding your daughter that might help me also. Keep in touch I would really like to know her progress

shadow205

Postby shadow205 » Thu Aug 19, 2004 05:43 am

Well back to the Doctor today.With so many followup appointments it's hard to keep up with which Doctor is monitoring what.Thanxs to those of you who responded to my post. I thnk that I will probably become a "Frequent Flyer" here. It helps to read others stories and outcomes. I never really understood that PE could cause such long lasting effects. My Daughter is coping as well as can be expected with what she has gone through. Our goal at the moment is to learn as much as we can about PE & Endocrinology since her problems with the Endocrine system seem to be a result of the Preeclampsia.We are still trying to understand why the OBGYN did not realize that she was in serious trouble prior to delivery and act sooner. Will post info as we progress.

Return to “Ask the Experienced”