Headache & Nausea @ 22 weeks

This section is for discussions with other women who have probably been through the same signs/symptoms that you may be experiencing. Please note, we cannot offer medical advice and encourage members to discuss their concerns with their doctors. New members, come on in and introduce yourself!

Headache & Nausea @ 22 weeks

Postby heatherbbb » Fri Sep 24, 2004 07:18 am

I was diagnosed with Pre-e and delivered the same day in my last pregnancy at 26 weeks and 6 days. At 21 weeks I started having migraines, which we all blamed on poor sinuses (I have chronic sinusitis which worsens with pregnancy), but in hindsight wonder if it was the beginning of pre-e. I'm now 22 weeks pregnant with my 2nd. I was very encouraged at my OB appt last Friday because I have been feeling well, the u/s showed everything was normal, the baby weighs around 15 oz, my blood pressure was fine, and I had only gained 4 lbs the whole pregnancy. Well, Wednesday night I got a headache that will not go away. I had a problem sleeping because of it. Thursday morning, I just felt horrible exhaustion and nausea (though no vomitting). I took the day off from work and spent most of it in bed. I've gone to work this morning, but still have this headache that will not go away, even with Tylonel. It's a bad headache, but nowhere as bad as a migraine. I still have the horrible exhaustion and nausea. However, my blood pressure is still great and I do not have swelling nor visual disturbances. I'm seeing the OB every week now. I've got an appointment at 11:30 a.m., but since my OB is out of town I'm seeing another OB I have never met. I'm very curious to see if I show any protein in my urine. Of course I'm terrified this could be the beginning of Pre-e. Of course, I'm not looking for a diagnosis from any of you. I'm just curious if you have had similar experiences. What do you think? Are there any labs I should insist on, even if no trace protein shows on the dip? If I get any protein, I'll ask for a 24 hour urine.

Heather

Mother of Seth Russell, delivered 26 weeks due to PE/HELLP 9/3/03-2/13/04
http://members.cox.net/heatherbbb/seth/seth.htm
Due with Joshua Allen -scheduled C-section @ 39 weeks (about Jan 20, 2005)
heatherbbb

Re : Headache & Nausea @ 22 weeks

Postby wcarder » Fri Sep 24, 2004 07:48 am

Heather ~

I'm so sorry you are not feeling well, and hoping it IS just a bug, or sinuses, but it is very wise of you not to shrug anything off. It's great that you are seeing the doc today, and I'm hoping all checks out well. Make sure you pick his brain about what he thinks of these headaches and the way you feel. And then take it easy this weekend.

Good Luck, hun.

Wendy

DD~ Kenzie Celeste, 30 weeks GA, severe PE
wcarder

Postby samarasmom » Fri Sep 24, 2004 08:22 am

Sometimes Migraines can cause Nausea and VOmiting. I am with Wendy and praying that its only a sinus or bug ( those will make you feel the same way.)
i would suggest in my opinion that you make a call to your doc with your history and if its something else they can recommend some home remideis or meds to help make you comfortable.

Let us know what the doc says and let us know how you are feeling and get some rest. Take care and keeping my fingers crossed for you. WIll be waiting for an updatee

Sandra 23
Michael Abron ( fiance)
Elijah Kristopher Michael Abron ( 43 wks no complications) 5/6/99
Isaiah Liam Abron ( 37 wks PE and Preterm labor) 3/25/02
Samara Juliyana Abron ( 35 wks PIH and poss PE ) 7/21/04
samarasmom

Postby ann marie » Fri Sep 24, 2004 08:35 am

Heather,

While I have not had this experience I am very glad that you are going in to be checked out. Please let us know how your appt goes.

Ann Marie (29)Moderator for "Ask the Experienced" and "Bedrest"
Co-coordinator for Wisconsin
DH: Matt (32)
PIH/PE/Low Amniotic Fluid
Luke 3/17/04--37 weeks after 15 weeks of bedrest
ann marie

Postby laura » Fri Sep 24, 2004 08:49 am

Heather- you know what I'd ask for? A CBC. That'll tell you if your platelets are out of whack and if you have signs of an infection. Please let us know what you find out!

Laura
Administrator/AK Area Coordinator

Alicia (severe PE) 5/98 ~ Camille (htn, oligo) 4/03
http://www.babiesonline.com/babies/c/camilleandallie/
laura

Postby laura » Fri Sep 24, 2004 08:56 am

Oh dear, I forgot to say, I'm not a doc, so my suggestion is just based on what it would have taken to make *me* feel better, LOL! [;)]

Laura
Administrator/AK Area Coordinator

Alicia (severe PE) 5/98 ~ Camille (htn, oligo) 4/03
http://www.babiesonline.com/babies/c/camilleandallie/
laura

Postby april » Fri Sep 24, 2004 10:07 am

Heather,

I hope that you are feeling better soon, and at your Dr. appt everything looks good. But, I would ask for a CBC also. Just to be safe rather than sorry. It can't do any harm in checking.[;)] Let us know how your dr. appt goes.

april(24)
dh-billy(29)
dd-Natalie 3/10/04(pasted away after 1 hr.) induced labor at 23wks and 5 days due to severe PE/HELLP
april

Postby heatherbbb » Fri Sep 24, 2004 10:20 am

My OB appointment went well. My bp is up a little, but still pretty good. The baby's heartrate was good as well. I was so worried this OB would blow me off with my symptoms. I was so happy when he suggested running blood tests to eliminate the possibily of having HELLP. He did say that you can get HELLP without a rise in bp. I did get HELLP with the last pregnancy. I should have the results by the end of the day. Thanks for all your comments.

Heather

Mother of Seth Russell, delivered 26 weeks due to PE/HELLP 9/3/03-2/13/04
http://members.cox.net/heatherbbb/seth/seth.htm
Due with Joshua Allen -scheduled C-section @ 39 weeks (about Jan 20, 2005)
heatherbbb

Postby cara » Fri Sep 24, 2004 10:22 am

Just from a "been there" stand-point, if a CBC DOES come back high, please ask your Dr to begin treatment for any infection. I had a CBC come back high and went into labor that night after the Dr sent me home b/c I "probably was getting a cold". I had a leak (which I reported and was told I was probably urinating on myself) and ended up with an infection that was probably a good reason why I went into labor 2 months early. Between the Pre-e, PIH, and infection, Grant decided to bail on me. He really could have used those last weeks, as we were in NICU for a month after. So, lesson learned was if you think something is wrong, there is a reason for it....stay on the safe side, even if it means "annoying" your Dr!!

Cara L. Stevens
Mother of Grant, born 3/28/04 at 33 weeks
Diagnosed with PIH very early, then with Pre-e
cara

Postby julie f » Fri Sep 24, 2004 10:51 am

Heather,

I'm sorry you're not feeling well[xx(]. I'm so glad you got in to see your OB today though and that they're running some tests on you. Please let us know when you get the results back.

I'm praying, praying, praying for healthy 2005 babies for us!

Julie (27)
Zachary James, 7/22/03-7/27/03, born at 26wks - severe pe

Miracle in progress... #2 is due February 2005!!!

Southern California Coordinator
julie f

Next

Return to Ask the Experienced