Post Reply FAQ Members Login

Second Pregnancy after Preeclampsia HELLP stade 1

This section is for discussions with other women who have probably been through the same signs/symptoms that you may be experiencing. Please note, we cannot offer medical advice and encourage members to discuss their concerns with their doctors. New members, come on in and introduce yourself!

Second Pregnancy after Preeclampsia HELLP stade 1

Postby nat31 » Wed Dec 01, 2004 10:14 am

by nat31 (16 Posts), Wed Dec 01, 2004 10:14 am

Hi everybody, a couple of weeks ago I posted a note saying that I was afraid of getting pregnant again for the second time. I had a lot of response and encouragement thankyou so much. I still have some concerns.
I would like to know if there is a lot of women whitin you that have experienced a very dramatic second pregnancy as well or is the second better altogether?
Thanx for your support.
From a very anxious mother...

Nathalie (33)
Mike (34)
Sophia (2) 6/15/2002 at 27 weeks 1 pound 3 onces (severe pree and HELLP)now healthy 2 years old
nat31

Re : Second Pregnancy after Preeclampsia HELLP stade 1

Postby bethaniesmommy » Wed Dec 01, 2004 11:02 am

by bethaniesmommy (261 Posts), Wed Dec 01, 2004 11:02 am

Hi,
Well I am still in my second pregnancy but let me tell you this one has been so much easier than my first (other than the fear). With Bethanie I started spotting in the beginning. Then my blood pressure started going up at about 13 weeks and I was on blood pressure meds by the time I was 20 weeks. They would help for a little while then my pressures would start going up again. I had to have my little girl by emergancy c-section at 27 weeks 5 days. Like I said this pregnancy has been totally different. I have not had to go to the doctor at all other than for my regular once a month visits (that never happened with DD, I felt like I was always there). I didn't have spotting or morning sickness in the beginning. My blood pressure has been good. I am now 1 day farther along than I was when DD was born and that feels great!! I still have a while to go before I am in the clear but so far this pregnancy has been MUCH less dramatic and better than my last.

Mom to Bethanie Ann born 9/3/00 at 27 weeks due to PE and HELLP syndrome.
Expecting #2 due Feb 25, 2005. Praying really hard for a healthy, long pregnancy!
bethaniesmommy

Postby nat31 » Wed Dec 01, 2004 11:44 am

by nat31 (16 Posts), Wed Dec 01, 2004 11:44 am

Thanx so much for your good spirit! My husband and I have consulted with a perinatalogist specialized in HELLP related pregnancies and altough he his trying to be reassuring, he still tells me that there is risks to re-xeperienced HELLP. Were you in the same situation?
Good luck for your second pregnancy looks like everything will be fine. I am sure that you are going to have a big healthy baby:).

Nathalie (33)
Sophia (2) HELLP- 27 weeks 5/7
nat31

Postby julie f » Wed Dec 01, 2004 12:18 am

by julie f (7993 Posts), Wed Dec 01, 2004 12:18 am

We've made it past the point that I delivered in my last pregnancy and are still going strong. Zach started to show growth restriction very early and in this pregnancy, at 29 weeks, baby is still measuring on target. My bp has also remained great, although I am on meds this go around and my protein count has been holding steady. Also, the baby is soooo omuch more active than Zach ever was and the doctors keep telling me that an active baby is one that's not in distress.

So, other than the fear, like Bethaniesmommy said, this pregnancy has been quite different. I pray that you experience a much easier and healthier second pregnancy as well!

Julie (27)
Zachary James, 7/22/03-7/27/03, born at 26wks - severe pe

Miracle in progress... #2 is due February 2005!!!

Southern California Coordinator
julie f

Postby nat31 » Wed Dec 01, 2004 12:25 am

by nat31 (16 Posts), Wed Dec 01, 2004 12:25 am

I am so happy for you. It must feel great to go beyond the stage you reached in your first pregnancy. Good luck and thanx, this is very encouraging.
Nathalie (33)
Sophia, 6/15/02, born at 27 5/7 weeks - HELLP&severe pe
Ontario, Canada
nat31

Postby fiona » Wed Dec 01, 2004 01:21 pm

by fiona (5767 Posts), Wed Dec 01, 2004 01:21 pm

My second pregnancy went so much better than my first. Nate was growth restricted from the first scan at week 12, and I was seriously ill from week 20.

With Jay, he was always ahead on the growth (he was born a pound heavier than expected) and, although I still did get pre-e early, I made it to the magical 30 weeks. I also didn't get so ill and recovered much quicker.

My husband and I were so fearful of another terrible outcome, that we seriously considered not trying again, but decided it would be worth all the worry. jay's now six and I can't imagine life without him. I'm now pregnant with number 3. It's all a leap of faith.

I hope that whatever you decide, it works out well for you,

Fiona

Fiona
dh Tom
ds Nate 12/8/97 - 14/8/97 26 weeks severe pre-e IUGR 1lb
ds Jay 4/11/98 30 weeks pre-e 3lbs 11 oz
no 3 due 15/6/05
fiona
Forum Moderator

Postby meg hanrahan » Wed Dec 01, 2004 03:10 pm

by meg hanrahan (1030 Posts), Wed Dec 01, 2004 03:10 pm

My second pregnancy was hands down better than my first. Once my bp stayed down after my 20th week, my doctors only had me go in monthly. With my first, I was in there every other week (or more) and getting pricked for blood constantly. I also felt so much better. Once I passed 34 weeks, I also began to relax. the only difference was taking one baby aspirin a day until my 32nd week. The second went so well - we're having a third.

Meg
Isabella 11/11/2002 (34 weeks, severe pe)
Katie 4/21/2004 (full term, no pe)
meg hanrahan

Postby tahoe4 » Thu Dec 02, 2004 06:49 am

by tahoe4 (251 Posts), Thu Dec 02, 2004 06:49 am

My first pregnancy ended in delivering at 34 weeks due to eclampsia. My second pregnancy was preeclampsia-free! Lots of monitoring went on for the second pregnancy and it was a lot more work than the first, but all of the extra monitoring was worth it not to get sick again.

Stephanie

Casey - DD born 12/25/02 at 6 weeks premature due to eclampsia
Bella - DD born 6/4/04 at 38 weeks. No complications from pre-eclampsia at all!
tahoe4

Postby youtan » Thu Dec 02, 2004 08:22 am

by youtan (1592 Posts), Thu Dec 02, 2004 08:22 am

Like you my first was born at 27 wks due to severe HELLP.

We decided to try again - basically because we had no idea what the research really said on preE - all the drs opinions were very inconsistent at that time. So, we assumed no one really knew. You'll have to look it up and ask your doctor. When I got pregnant the 2nd time - our peri told us that I had a 70% chance of getting pree again, but a very low chance of getting HELLP again. But, remember there is a very low chance of getting HELLP anyway. I was already pregnant when I heard the statistics. They are high only for those of us who had HELLP before 28 wks.

Anyway, my second pregnancy was less severe. I did not get HELLP this time, but had some complications. Thanks to having a great peri (which I would highly recommend to anyone who had preE the 1st time) the severity was less and I feel he ended the pregnancy just in time! The short story is that my BP did raise at the same time, but this peri put me on BP meds which kept the BP down around 150/95 most days. I was in the hospital on bedrest for 5 wks total. They decided to deliver the baby at the 1st sign of preE because they didn't want me to end up with HELLP again. At 34 wks, my placenta was in bad shape, there was poor blood flow to the baby, the baby's heart rate decreased more often, there was hardly any amniotic fluid left, and i began to have trace protein, not to mention my BP was slowly creeping up. SO they delivered my 2nd child - who is also a healthy one.

We were very happy to have made it to 34 wks.

I wish you all the well in making this difficult decision and hope you the best!

Tanya
Kansas Coordinator
mother of:
son: 5 yrs, PE/HELLP 27 wks, 1lb 10oz
son: 2 yrs, PIH/low fluid 34 wks, 4lb 8 oz
youtan

Return to Ask the Experienced