Pain without elevated liver enzymes?

This section is for discussions with other women who have probably been through the same signs/symptoms that you may be experiencing. Please note, we cannot offer medical advice and encourage members to discuss their concerns with their doctors. New members, come on in and introduce yourself!
deerhart

Re : Pain without elevated liver enzymes?

Postby deerhart » Wed Dec 22, 2004 10:25 am

I had pain in that general area beofer (in fact it was when I was first pregnant with Alex). The pain occuredabout a half an inch to an inch below my breastbone and slightly to the right side. My doc thought it was an organ aso she sent me to the ER to have them do a cat scan/US and the doc there told it I either had an ulcer (but no symptomns of one) or heartburn and gave me some huge tagament pills. He oculdnt' beleive it when an hour later I was in even MORE pain *mutters*.

Fianlly got hte scans and stuff showed everything was fine so my doc on a whim put me on anti inflamatories and suddenly the pain was everywhere on my right side. Ended up, I had been moving a box a few days prior to this all at work (slightly over my head) and the cornor of it had come down into my rib cage right under my arm pit. Ended up puncturing a small hole in the muslce between the ribs and that was causing all the problems, but the pain (due to inflamation and such) was localized in the right upper quadrant of the abdamon (my doc was actually worried that it was my gallbaldder or appendix). So yes, strains and stuff in the rib area can cause pain there.

Erin

Moderator - Parents of Preemies
Missouri State Coordinator
Mommy to Alex (4)and Mason (1 1/2)
Law Student - 1 year done, 2 to go

sandy

Postby sandy » Wed Dec 22, 2004 10:03 am

fyi: I only know this because it was an issue for me in pregnancy #1...and now it is again w/#2:

Zantac 75mg is helpful for relieving actual heartburn...and when it doesn't do the trick...your doctor can write a prescription for Zantac 150mg which seems to do the trick for me when the 75mg won't work anymore.

~Sandy/DD born via emergency C at 35 wks/1 day June '03 due to superimposed severe PE/class III HELLP

Another Girl! Due: 3/21/05; scheduled C ~3/14/05 at 39 weeks...or earlier if needed.

denise

Postby denise » Wed Dec 22, 2004 07:33 am

How are things going DJA???

-------
Denise (28) Co-coordinator for WI
Jason (32)
Ariana (19 months)-born 5/3/03 at 35 weeks due to HELLP/PE
Currently TTC #2
http://hometown.aol.com/scrapperlang/Home.htm

dohertyab

Postby dohertyab » Wed Dec 22, 2004 07:21 am

Hmmm, so I'm not the only one who is paranoid about upper ab pain. I'm glad to hear, but sorry that others are also going through this.
In the last week I've gotten in the car 2x to drive to emerg to have my liver checked. I've never had heartburn or indigestion before but it was the ab pain which prompted me to go to emerg when I developed HELLP.
I asked my peri yesterday how to tell the difference between heartburn and liver problems and she said there wasn't. She suggested an antacid and then said come on in to have it checked if it didn't help. I appreciate her support, but I don't want to have blood drawn on a daily basis for heartburn.
I just tried tums, no change, so I will try other OTC antacids and will look into the GI cocktail, but do people have any other suggestions? I've also found lying on my back with a pillow under my ribs helps a little, but I can't stay on my back for too long at a time.
Any other sitting or lying down positions to try? foods to avoid? exercise?
Thanks for any suggestions.

Andrea
Tara and Rowan (May 2001, 29 weekers)
jr due April 2005

akemt

Postby akemt » Tue Dec 14, 2004 11:11 am

Let us know what she says!

Catherine (23), Moderator
DH Britton (28)
Emma Margaret (03/02/03) 37 wks PIH & Oligo
Lara Julianne (07/31/04) 38 wks Borderline PIH

dja

Postby dja » Tue Dec 14, 2004 11:04 am

I started having pain again last night, so I took the pepcid. It didn't seem to help at all. A heating pad did help if I put it on my back (upper back seems to hurt at same time as abdomen). The heat on my back somehow was relieving the pain in my abdomen. Go figure! [:X] At least I got some better sleep! I see the peri again this Friday and I'm going to see what she thinks.

I've also noticed an uncanny amount of bloating - I look like an overpumped tire! No bump on the sternum thank heavens, but the bloating is uncomfortable.

DJA
Mom to Amelia, b/d 03/19/04 @ 22 weeks due to sever PE

Expecting, EDD 04/22/05!

akemt

Postby akemt » Tue Dec 14, 2004 10:43 am

I had that in the ER. They called it a "grasshopper." Nasty stuff, though not quite as bad as the barium. It didn't do a thing and my Dr. of Internal Medicine said that ER's love to use them but he has never used it once because it is very unreliable. And, I guess it is true since it didn't change my pain level at all (actually, 3 doses of morphine didn't either) and I definately have acid reflux. Though, I'm still not completely convinced that was the cause of my pain with that unsolved liver issue... Anyway, just thought I'd add that.

Catherine (23), Moderator
DH Britton (28)
Emma Margaret (03/02/03) 37 wks PIH & Oligo
Lara Julianne (07/31/04) 38 wks Borderline PIH

jenndola
Forum Moderator

Postby jenndola » Tue Dec 14, 2004 06:29 am

Did a search, and here's what I found: "a mixture of liquid antacid, viscous lidocaine, and an anticholinergic." Can't quite figure out what the anticholinergic is for, but the antacid and lidocaine are self-explanatory. Nothing like coating your GI tract with lidocaine to numb the pain!

If they think your pain might be heartburn, you might want to request a GI cocktail for diagnostic purposes. From what I saw on the web, it seems to be a fairly common term. (Well, at least in emergency medicine--I don't know about OBs and peris!)

Jenn
Missed miscarriage/D&C 14 weeks
Angel Maggie stillborn due to HELLP Syndrome & PIH at 19.5 wks
Miscarriage 6 weeks
Self-Proclaimed Antiphospholipid Syndrome (APS) Guru
TTC #4 is a go...someday...maybe...if I ovulate...
I'm putting my perinatologist's kids through college!

dja

Postby dja » Mon Dec 13, 2004 09:50 pm

Jenn - do you know what the GI cocktail is? Barium - yuck!

DJA
Mom to Amelia, b/d 03/19/04 @ 22 weeks due to sever PE

Expecting, EDD 04/22/05!

jenndola
Forum Moderator

Postby jenndola » Mon Dec 13, 2004 08:58 pm

What they CAN do during pregnancy is give you the lovely-tasting "GI Cocktail." (That's what the ER staff called it.) When I went in with what we later found out was HELLP (but at that point was a horrible pain under my sternum), they gave me a small cup of liquid to drink, and said if I had heartburn, that would provide relief because it numbs the entire GI tract. When I received no relief at all, the doctor said, "I don't know what's wrong with you, but I do know it's not heartburn."

Jenn
Missed miscarriage/D&C 14 weeks
Angel Maggie stillborn due to HELLP Syndrome & PIH at 19.5 wks
Miscarriage 6 weeks
Self-Proclaimed Antiphospholipid Syndrome (APS) Guru
TTC #4 is a go...someday...maybe...if I ovulate...
I'm putting my perinatologist's kids through college!

Return to “Ask the Experienced”