Post Reply FAQ Members Login

Kidney stones, low platelets and high protein in u

This section is for discussions with other women who have probably been through the same signs/symptoms that you may be experiencing. Please note, we cannot offer medical advice and encourage members to discuss their concerns with their doctors. New members, come on in and introduce yourself!

Kidney stones, low platelets and high protein in u

Postby littleme123 » Sat Mar 12, 2005 08:46 pm

by littleme123 (8 Posts), Sat Mar 12, 2005 08:46 pm

I am just starting my 33rd week of my 2nd pregnancy and I just got out of the hospital after being in for 3 days. For a week and a half I had what the doctors suspected was a UTI. After antibiotics didnt help, I ended up with a horrible pain and pressure on my right side of my back and was advised to go to the hospital. My kidneys were checked for stones but none appeared on the ultrasound - they said they were either too small or were passing. I ended up passing a small kidney stone and one large one. My blood pressure has been normal the entire time but my urine was abnormal (in the 400's during the last 24 hr test) and my platelets were low (94 during first test, 104 for the 2nd, and in the 120's for the third - they were 144 during my first pregnancy). Note that my platelets rose after my kidney stones passed. My doctor suspects these could be early signs of pre-eclampsia. I start another 24 hr urine test tomorrow morning and was told to "take it easy". Im having a hard time defining what that means especially since I have a 22 month old! Anyway, I was wondering if the kidney stones might have anything to do with my urine protein and platelets? And since they have passed, maybe my body is returning to normal hence the rising platelets? Will see how the urine test turns out and I have my next appt in a few days in which they will be taking more blood. Thank goodness the baby has been absolutely fine! Also, my doc says that it would be unusual to have pre-eclampsia this time around since I did not have it with my first. I am keeping my fingers crossed that this is just a fluke due to the stones! I have no other symptoms of Pre-eclampsia. Any thoughts would be great!!! Thanks!
littleme123

Re : Kidney stones, low platelets and high protein in u

Postby lucy » Sat Mar 12, 2005 09:14 pm

by lucy (4706 Posts), Sat Mar 12, 2005 09:14 pm

Well I dont know the answers to your questions although I am sure one of the other ladies will chime in and be able to help more but I just wanted to say welcome to the forum!

Lucy (18) -Expecting a girl due date April 30,2005 Yey we got our induction date April 1st 2005 at 36 wks. Diagnosed with pre-eclampsia again at 31 wks

Proud mommy to Sebastian Orpheus stillborn at 26 wks due to pre-eclampsia we will always love and never forget you beautiful baby boy!

Mom to Garet 8
and Angie 7
lucy

Postby julie f » Sat Mar 12, 2005 10:51 pm

by julie f (7993 Posts), Sat Mar 12, 2005 10:51 pm

I can't help you with those questions either, sorry about that. But, I did want to say good for you for being informed and educating yourself about preeclampsia - I pray that it is knowledge that you never need! And, it's wonderful to hear that your doctors seem to be very proactive and on top of things!

Here is a link to our Signs & Syptoms page for reference in case you ever do need it: http://www.preeclampsia.org/symptoms.asp

Best of luck to you, please keep us posted!

Julie (28)
Zachary James, 7/22/03-7/27/03, born at 26wks - severe pe

Jackson Charles 01/24/05, 36wks 6dys - NO PE!!

Southern California Coordinator
julie f

Postby denise » Mon Mar 14, 2005 11:41 am

by denise (5480 Posts), Mon Mar 14, 2005 11:41 am

Welcome! Sorry, I dont have any answers on the kidney stones relating to PE either. It's great you are being so proactive in your health. Hopefully you will not develop this condition. Please give us an update after you see the doc this week. Best of luck to you!

-------
Denise (29) Co-coordinator for WI
Jason (32)
Ariana (21 months)5/3/03-just shy of 35 weeks: Class 1 HELLP
http://hometown.aol.com/oneyodafan/DeniseHomePage.htm
denise

Postby madeleine » Mon Mar 14, 2005 12:37 am

by madeleine (184 Posts), Mon Mar 14, 2005 12:37 am

Hi there -- don't know if these means anything to you or not but I had kidney stones in the fall (at about 23 wks) and ever since have had some protein & blood in my urine...My doc. said were leftovers from the kidnesy stones. Which as someone here maybe explained to me, makes sense given that blood is protein.... You are good to stay on top of things, and this is a great place to compare notes!

Madeleine

Miles 9/13/90
Graham 1/6/92
Benjamin 5/22/02, severe preeclampsia, 33 weeks
madeleine

Postby littleme123 » Tue Mar 15, 2005 08:54 pm

by littleme123 (8 Posts), Tue Mar 15, 2005 08:54 pm

Thanks for your input, everyone! I am still hopeful! I turned in my 24 hr urine test Monday morning and my doc called that afternoon with the results. Said my urine protein level was in the 420's and said while it was still high that it was good because I was "stable" - but not out of the woods. Then mentioned that maybe my abnormal blood and urine levels were due to the kidney stones (which is what I have been hoping) and that we would see how my platelets are. I get my blood test tomorrow and will probably do another 24 hr urine test this weekend. Keeping my fingers crossed!!! Thanks for listening! :)
littleme123

Postby jenniferh » Tue Mar 15, 2005 09:15 pm

by jenniferh (16 Posts), Tue Mar 15, 2005 09:15 pm

Definitely keep doing your research on pre-eclampsia. Just because you didn't have it with your first doesn't mean you can't have it with your second. My first child, Justin, was born at term - 8 lbs, 9 oz, 21" long. My 2nd child, Gabriella, (born just two years and 1 week after Justin) arrived 2 months early at 32 weeks because of pre-eclampsia - 4 lbs, 3.5 oz, 17" long. Hopefully what you are experiencing is not pre-e, but definitely keep doing the research and be proactive about your care. It sounds like you and your doctors are all doing that already and that's wonderful. I'm keeping my fingers crossed for you as well. Please keep us posted!

Jennifer (28)
Married to Bryan (29) since 10/2/99
Mommy to:
Justin Matthew - 12/18/01 (full term, no PE)
Gabriella Rose - 1/7/04 (delivered at 32 weeks due to severe PE)
jenniferh

Postby littleme123 » Sat Apr 09, 2005 12:32 am

by littleme123 (8 Posts), Sat Apr 09, 2005 12:32 am

Well, I am still "sort of" preeclamptic I guess. My urine levels went down, my platelets were going up and then my last urine test went back up (from 220's to 337) and my last platelets could not be counted due to clumping but the lab thought they "looked fine" tho the docs arent buying it since they've been low (the last one was 107 I believe). Two weeks ago I had the liver enzyme test done and that was normal (yay!). My blood pressure has been normal (thank God!). My NSTs have been great. And Ive experienced no other symptoms - which I am so happy about because Ive been so worried!!!! But now that my urine went back up they are still treating me for PE and will be seeing them 2x a week. I am anxiously awaiting my blood work results and will be doing another 24 hr urine this weekend. They mentioned they might induce me next week (my EDD is 4/30/05) and are hoping I dialate a little more (Im at 1 cm). Ive been reading intensively on PE and HELLP and just get more scared with how fast and furious it can come on. I am praying that it never comes to that - and that I dont even really have PE or HELLP - still hoping its all a fluke. That maybe the kidney stones set something off in my body cuz thats when this all started. And its been about 4 weeks (3/9/05) that my levels have been a little "off" and I had the whole kidney stone episode. I am just hoping I dont get worse - that my tests come back better or at least "stable". And also that there is not some other underlying serious thing going on with me that isnt being looked at due to the PE diagnosis.

I just wonder is it normal for the platelets and urine protein to fluctuate like this? My docs arent sure what to think at this point and are being cautious - which I really appreciate - but I would love it if I could avoid being induced next week. :| I should add that I am thankful that Ive made it this far!

Thanks for listening to my crazy thoughts and rambling. Im confused and worried. Please keep your fingers crossed for me!

Julie
littleme123

Postby denise » Sat Apr 09, 2005 06:42 pm

by denise (5480 Posts), Sat Apr 09, 2005 06:42 pm

We'll listen anytime Julie! Glad to hear the docs are keeping a very close eye on you and doing all the labs. When is your next appt? Let us know what happens with your next labs and 24 urine. Wishing you the best!

-------
Denise (29) Co-coordinator for WI
Jason (32)
Ariana (22 months)5/3/03-just shy of 35 weeks: Class 1 HELLP
http://hometown.aol.com/oneyodafan/DeniseHomePage.htm
denise

Postby littleme123 » Sat Apr 09, 2005 09:19 pm

by littleme123 (8 Posts), Sat Apr 09, 2005 09:19 pm

My next appt is Monday morning. I will find out my platelet/liver enzyme results, turn in my 24 hr urine sample and do another NST probably. And possibly discuss the whole induction deal depending on my results I guess. Or if my results are stable or better, maybe I will just have to schedule another appointment.

I am hoping my blood pressure wont go up from worrying! ;)

Julie
littleme123

Next

Return to Ask the Experienced