Boy preemies vs. Girl Preemies-UPDATED!

Are you part of the NICU club? Do you have a child who is still struggling with the effects of being born too soon from preeclampsia? Share your concerns and stories here among parents who have been there.

Re : Boy preemies vs. Girl Preemies-UPDATED!

Postby ekc » Thu Mar 31, 2005 02:08 pm

My son was born at 33.5 weeks and did great. He only had a feeding set back that lasted 3 days and then he was off again. He only stayed in the NICU 4 weeks. This was mainly because of his size. At the time he was in there I was told he was one of the healthiest babies there and there were a lot of girls there, too. I also know of a friend of mine who had a preemie boy at 29 weeks and he is now bigger than most kids his age (weight & height).

So don't worry too much about boy vs. girl. I think boys can thrive just as well!

Erinn (26)

Chase ~ 33.5 wks, 3.5#, 16"

severe pre-e

Postby cassie05 » Thu Mar 31, 2005 09:10 am

My son was born at 28 weeks and 1 lb 12 oz. he had the normal preemie problems and did have 3 blood transfusions but is now doing wonderful. he was in the hosptial for 2 1/2 months. he is now 14 months (11 months adjusted) and is 19 lbs. Good luck

cassie is mommy to...
stephen...severe pre-e...delivered at 27+6...1 lb 12 oz
...and pregnant with kaitlyn

christine lyn

Postby christine lyn » Wed Mar 30, 2005 03:41 pm

Shannon, hi my son was born at 29 weeks and weighed in at 1lb. 9.2oz. 13 1/4in. long. He was in the NICI for 10 weeks. He had a few things wrong but is doing great now. He's now 4 month's old. My son will need surgery for a hypaspadius when he get's bigger but other than that he's great. Don't worry about what they say because all pregnancy's are different. Just stay positive and you'll be fine.

Shane 11-16-04 29 weeks severe PE

Postby caitlynsmama » Wed Mar 30, 2005 06:21 am

Update- The ultra sound tech said we will be expecting another fiesty little Irish girl if things go well. I could not believe they told me it was 12 ounces already. Caitlyn was born at 30 weeks 3 days and 2lbs 7 ozs so every ounce counts. This child was just like Caitlyn doing flips and running away from the ultra sound light so who knows. Thank you so much for your support. If it turns out it is a girl or a boy I will love it just as much. I am just thankful for all the time that I spent not knowing I could have children to have a chance to have two now.

Shannon Mommy to Caitlyn Elizabeth 30 weeks, 3 days born (8/26/2003) early due to PE, IUGR, HELLP syndrome, premature rupture of membranes

Currently expecting #2 EDD-8/23/05

Postby alexp » Tue Mar 29, 2005 11:02 pm

The "wimpy white male" thing is not always true, IMO - my son was 36 weeks to the day and had few problems- mainly being a very grouchy, nervous baby who didn't want to eat. He had a little low blood sugar right after birth and a little jaundice, but he went home after 48 hours and did fine. We did have some trouble later on after sending him to daycare - apparently he had a very "preemie" immune system. He got sick (in and out of hospital sick) and stayed that way until we finally kept him home.

My daughters were 32 weekers and had a fairly hard time. They were both on the vent for a few days, then CPAP, and Lily was on O2 for almost a month...I was afraid she was going to have to come home on it. They had severe apnea and bradycardia spells, needed blood transfusions...reflux medicine...they were supposed to be feeder-growers, and I guess they were, for the most part, but I never knew it would take five weeks in the NICU to get them there! So I had "wimpy white females". [;)] (J/K - I think they are the bravest little girls I know, but of course I'm biased [:)])

Good luck at your u/s!

Alex, mama to:
Parker - born 4/15/2001
Vivian & Lily - born 7/14/2003 at 32 weeks

Postby deerhart » Tue Mar 29, 2005 01:18 pm

36 weeks here, just a touch of transitional lungs (mature but still with some fluid), touch of jaundice and nothing else.

Alex was 37 weeks had some jaundice, blood sugar problems, and holding his body temp

Missouri State Coordinator
Mommy to Alex (4)and Mason (1 1/2)
Law Student - 1 year done, 2 to go

Postby megannek » Tue Mar 29, 2005 11:44 am

Hi Shannon-

I had absolutely no idea what to expect with a preemie. I had Matthew via emergency C-section just two days after being diagnosed with severe PE. You should completely have faith in what Jenn said. It is so statistically driven, you will overwhelm your brain with worry.

Matthew was 10 weeks early, 2lbs. 4oz., surrounded by all of his girlfriends in the NICU. After 52 days, he went home and unfortunately, his girlfriends stayed. He had some minor setbacks, but overall, he's doing so great. It's like the OT in the NICU always said, "he's small, but mighty". It is so true. Today he weighs in at 20 lbs. and is super feisty!

Each baby is so unique and different. My husband has always said that for every bad piece of information (or scary) I could find to attribute to Matthew's prematurity, I should always remember that many people don't report all of the good things that happen.
Good luck and keep happy thoughts!

Matthew 2/13/04 @ 29 wks, 2 lbs. 4oz., severe PE

Forum Moderator

Postby fiona » Tue Mar 29, 2005 11:41 am

I think it's easy to wrap yourself up in knots over statistics. I have had two boy preemies - one lived, one didn't, but my first was so adversely affected by the effects of pe, I don't honestly think it would have made a difference if he'd been a girl.

My 30-weeker boy went from strength to strength. Before I knew I was having yet another boy this time, I thought about all of this and, to be honest while I did think i might feel more confident if they told me I was having a girl, I also worried terribly at the prospect of passing on the chances of her having pe in the future (my mother had it with me).

The answer: to wait and see - you can't change anything, it's already a he or a she. I know not worrying is easier said than done, but somehow we have to zone ourselves out.

Good luck at the U/S - I hope everything looks just hunky-dory whether it's blue or pink!

dh Tom
ds Nate 12/8/97 - 14/8/97 26 weeks severe pre-e IUGR 1lb
ds Jay 4/11/98 30 weeks pre-e 3lbs 11 oz
no 3 due 15/6/05

emily kates mom

Postby emily kates mom » Tue Mar 29, 2005 11:17 am

Please excuse my ignorance on this topic, but what are the exact statistics? I know from being in the NICU that boys tend to struggle more, but no one ever told me an exact number.

Allison (27)

Mommy to Emily Kate
Born 9/23/03, 3lbs 7.8oz
32.5 weeks

Postby mom2tori » Tue Mar 29, 2005 11:16 am

Those statistics are scary, and I think they put extra unneeded stress on mommies! We are worried enough without having to hear the numbers supporting or against us. I know it will be impossible for you not to worry but hopefully you will find a spot in your head and your heart where you are able to block out all of the worry and focus on getting that baby strong enough to pull through. I do wish you the best of luck and am anxious to hear how the ultrasound goes.

Alissa mommy to:
Dominic 9/10/97-9/11/97 @ 28 weeks
Victoria 1/8/02 @ 30 weeks

Return to “Parents of Preemies”