- HEALTH INFORMATION
- GET SUPPORT
- NEWS & VIEWS
- GET INVOLVED
- CARE PROVIDERS
A recent Preeclampsia Foundation survey reveals that most women feel that books that provide complete and accurate information about preeclampsia would help them approach their pregnancies as empowered patients. The survey, conducted as a follow-up to the May release of the Preeclampsia Foundation's Report on the Top 10 Pregnancy Books, asked women about the pregnancy books they used during their pregnancies and about their feelings regarding the preeclampsia information contained in those books.
All respondents were entered into a contest to receive a signed copy of one of the top 3 books and a Preeclampsia Foundation gift basket. Congratulations go to Melissa S., Teri P., and Laura R. for winning the random drawing!
Not surprisingly, the majority of respondents (69%) reported that they relied on the bestselling What to Expect When You're Expecting by Heidi Murkoff and Sharon Mazel for pregnancy information, which ranked 10th on the Foundation's report. The next highest read book at only 10% was Your Pregnancy and Childbirth: Month-to-Month (5th Edition) by the American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists.
None of the top 10 books in the Foundation's Report scored above an 8 (on a 10 point scale) in all of the judged criteria: depth of coverage, placement of coverage, clarity and accuracy, description of symptoms, and postpartum concerns. Few of the books reviewed provided adequate information on postpartum preeclampsia, with many claiming that the process of birth is in itself the "cure" for preeclampsia.
Survey respondents were also asked to rate their feelings and actions should a pregnancy guide meet all of the Foundation's criteria in regards to preeclampsia. Only 19% of all respondents claimed that they would feel over-anxious or nervous if a book met all of the Preeclampsia Foundation criteria. The remaining 81% expressed that they would feel at least some level of empowerment and a full 39% indicated that they would feel "confident and empowered" if given information about preeclampsia and related conditions.