A Little Freaked Out -- Is this Pre-Eclampsia?

This section is for discussions with other women who have probably been through the same signs/symptoms that you may be experiencing. Please note, we cannot offer medical advice and encourage members to discuss their concerns with their doctors. New members, come on in and introduce yourself!
mada

Re : A Little Freaked Out -- Is this Pre-Eclampsia?

Postby mada » Wed Dec 25, 637348 1:08 am

Hey Paige,
I just saw this post..I am a little slow:) So, how did your 24 hour urine test come back? ANd your blood tests? I am glad that the bp meds are helping control your bp. I hope this helps you make it at least 4 more weeks. I had my son at just about 36 weeks and I got to bring him home with me. Goodluck and keep us posted.

Mada Harpster-moderator
Colorado co-coordinator
Sam 6-29-00 36weeks P.E.
Ben 11-03-01 No P.E.

paige_va

Postby paige_va » Tue Dec 24, 637348 10:25 pm

As far as an action plan, my doc wants me to call if my BP goes over 140/90. If that happens, I'm afraid I'll be back in the hospital. Also, she asked me to take my BPs while lying down on my side. I thought that this gives you false lows???? Since being on the meds, my BPs have ranged between 115/70 and 132/90, so MUCH improved. Hopefully they will stay there, so that I can stay AT HOME!!!

Paige

EDD originally 8/19/2005
PIH at 31w3d, possibly headed to PE
On Bedrest

dorio22

Postby dorio22 » Sat Dec 14, 637348 8:18 pm

Paige, Sorry to hear that you are dealing with PE now. I had severe PE with my last pg and this pg I have it again. I have been hospitalized twice now and then sent home. I am on strict bedrest also and my due date it August 1, so we aren't so far apart. I was diagnosed at 32 weeks and have managed to make it to 34 weeks and 4 days. I to have to go get all my tests done on Saturday so don't feel alone. It is a bumpy road but just make sure you watch yourself closely and go to L&D if anything changes.

Dori (35) - Utah
Mom to Kallie, Born 09/02 Adopted,
Brianna, born 04/03/04 at 35 wks due to Severe PE, 6 lbs. 7 oz.
Pregnant Again, EDD 08/01/05 - Diagnosed with PE at 32 weeks and currently on bedrest.

denise

Postby denise » Sat Dec 14, 637348 5:23 pm

Wow Paige, I'm sorry you have entered the world of PE. Glad to hear the doc admitted you and has started bp meds. I'm with Rachel, did the doc give you some specifics as to when to call or head into L&D? That can help you out tremendously. Please keep a watch out for your symptoms and if something worsens or develops new, call call call your doc! I'm hoping you are able to get a few more weeks of baby cooking time yet! Keep us posted!

If you haven't found it already, here is hte link to our bedrest forum,
On Bedrest:
http://www.preeclampsia.org/forum/forum.asp?FORUM_ID=24

-------
Denise Co-coordinator for WI
Jason
Ariana May 2003-just shy of 35 weeks: Class 1 HELLP
http://hometown.aol.com/oneyodafan/DeniseHomePage.htm

rachel a

Postby rachel a » Sat Dec 14, 637348 12:29 pm

Paige,

OMG!!! I noticed in another thread that you mentioned being put on bp meds and I immediately wondered had something happened, so now I see!

I am so glad your doctor was proactive and had you admitted. You are now part of the PE rollercoaster! Just remember, take your meds, watch your bp and did you discuss an ACTION PLAN? So you can call when it reaches XX/XX? And watch for any change in your symptoms. Try to enjoy bedrest, but not too much! By the way, be sure and let us know how your 24hr urine turns out.

Congrats on 32 weeks tomorrow! With PE, that's usually a pretty good gestational age, but 37 would be oh so much better!

Here's to smooth sailing for the next 5 weeks and 1 day!

Rachel Adamson
Arkansas Coordinator

Dylan Samuel 10/04/04 @ 32 weeks (due to severe PE)

paige_va

Postby paige_va » Sat Dec 14, 637348 7:19 am

Well, I haven't posted again because I've spent the last 24 hours in L&D. I went to my doc's office, and my BP there was 150/100, so they admitted me immediately. Upon arrival at the hospital, they found trace protein in my urine. While there, we did a NST, an ultrasound (baby looked great on both of these tests), a 24 hour urine collection, and BP monitoring. The doctor put me on BP medicine, and sent me home on bedrest (I can shower and go to the bathroom.) I have to go back to L&D on Saturday for another NST, more bloodwork, and a shot of beta methazone. I'm 32 weeks tomorrow. My doctor would really like this baby to get to 37 weeks, so we'll see. In the meantime, I'm completely exhausted from the emotional strain. Up to this point, I had never been in the hospital overnight before. I hope I don't have to go back until I have this baby!

Paige
EDD 8/19/2005 (not anymore...)

denise

Postby denise » Mon Dec 02, 637348 10:33 am

Welcome Paige and congrats on this pregnancy. Sounds like your doc is keeping an eye on you. How often are they seeing you? Keep up with the monitoring of your bp, and be sure to call the doc or head into L&D if new symptoms start or things worsen. I hope your appt today goes well. Please keep us posted.

-------
Denise Co-coordinator for WI
Jason
Ariana May 2003-just shy of 35 weeks: Class 1 HELLP
http://hometown.aol.com/oneyodafan/DeniseHomePage.htm

rachel a

Postby rachel a » Mon Dec 02, 637348 6:05 am

Paige,

Neither was I. Bedrest is difficult for active women (I'm a runner and I knew everyday what this was doing to my body) and not to mention a financial strain on a family! I began developing my complications at 18 weeks. Did 4 weeks bedrest, returned to work at 22 weeks and at 28 weeks I bedrested until 32 weeks when the docs said -- enough and took him.

Like I mentioned earlier, your diastolic is really too high and you're a long way from your baseline. I too, won't be surprised if you start seeing protein (non-medical opinion).

How often are you being seen by your doctor? She sounds great! I had a female OB/GYN who had PE during her pregnancy...thank God for her!

Be sure and discuss all your symptoms with her and if you haven't mentioned seeing those spots...you really need to make that clear to her! Be sure she checks out your edema, which I'm sure she's doing. Also, since you are monitoring your bp from home, are you keeping a log to give your doctor? That would be very beneficial and would her make a more accurate diagnosis!

Also, while you are seeing your doctor...be sure to discuss an ACTION PLAN. For instance, 1) if your bp gets XX/XX high, call her or go straight to L&D. 2) if you start seeing spots, do what? 3) How does she plan to proceed if things continue to progress? These things will help to put your mind at ease when you are sitting at home wondering, should I call, is this okay. KWIM? If you have questions or concerns - write them down!

Sorry I'm rambling. My son is napping, dh is doing class and my house is spotless (teacher=summer off) and I've nothing to do! The good news...you are 31 weeks. Generally, once you make it to 32 weeks...babies do well. I'm still praying for more cooking time. Be sure to post back and let us know how your appointment today goes!

Rachel Adamson
Arkansas Coordinator

paige_va

Postby paige_va » Mon Dec 02, 637348 5:31 am

Rachel,
I'm sorry, I should have mentioned my pre-pregnancy BP (and actually my BP up until a few days ago) was reliably in the neighborhood of 110/70. That's the reason that I was so shocked when the nurse said that it had climbed to 140/90. I've never had any problems with high BP, the opposite, if anything, has always been true for me.

I'll be on my way to the doctor's office here in a couple of hours. BP's today have been 138/95. (I wrote my post yesterday, but couldn't get it to post...long story.) Yesterday was, as I stated, mostly in the 130/90 range.

I know my doctor's definitely concerned about the BPs, and she sounds as if she's expecting that I'll eventually develop protein. I'm just really nervous about what to expect. I'm a pretty active person, and a serious career woman, and not looking foward to the prospect of possibly being put on bedrest. Of course, in the end, I'll do whatever's best for me and for my baby.

Paige
EDD 8/19

rachel a

Postby rachel a » Mon Dec 02, 637348 5:15 am

Paige,

Hi and welcome! Tanya and Suz have already given you excellent advice.

However, I'm concerned with your diastolic pressure (the bottom number). Even laying on your left side it was still 90, which to me (non-medical opinion) is concerning and deserves careful and close monitoring. Do you know what your baseline (pre-pregnancy) blood pressure is? This could be very helpful in diagnosing PIH.

Also concerning is the 9lbs in 2 weeks. This could indicate a progression in the edema (swelling) you are experiencing. The Foundation states that a weight gain of more than 2lbs per week or 6lbs per month is cause for concern. http://www.preeclampsia.org/symptoms.asp#gain

Since you are swelling - (and if it started a month again--it is a little early, but in itself nothing to be concerned about) - you should keep an eye on facial swelling, swelling in your eyes or hands.

If you see spots again...call your doctor. While your bp is sometimes decent, it appears to be labile (up and down before it stays up) therefore, if you see spots don't hesitate to call your doctor as this could indicate a (possibly severe) progression of your symptoms. http://www.preeclampsia.org/symptoms.asp#blur

Hope I've helped! I'll be praying for more baby cookin' time!

Rachel Adamson
Arkansas Coordinator

Return to “Ask the Experienced”