A Little Freaked Out -- Is this Pre-Eclampsia?

This section is for discussions with other women who have probably been through the same signs/symptoms that you may be experiencing. Please note, we cannot offer medical advice and encourage members to discuss their concerns with their doctors. New members, come on in and introduce yourself!
rachel a

Re : A Little Freaked Out -- Is this Pre-Eclampsia?

Postby rachel a » Wed Mar 05, 637349 9:39 pm

Oh Paige honey!! Way to be vigilant. Don't let them be happy with a bp reading that you know they didn't do correctly! Way to go!

As far as making you feel like a hypochondriac...yep, that will happen. Wish we could stop it from happening because it does tend to inhibit women that don't have good support systems at home. Just overlook those guys! You're this baby's mommy! BTW, if your dh is EMT qualified...well, he definitely isn't "screwing" up your readings so how'd they feel about that one! However, on their behalf, they do have a tough job, stressful at that. We all fall short and sometimes fail to see that what we're doing/saying is hurting someone else. KWIM?

Oh well, glad to see that the meds are kicking in. Sorry about taking more blood...Really!

Be sure and update us concerning tomorrow's appointment!

Rachel Adamson
Arkansas Coordinator

Dylan Samuel 10/04/04 @ 32 weeks (due to severe PE)

paige_va

Postby paige_va » Tue Mar 04, 637349 11:03 pm

Went in for another BPP today. The good news is that the baby looks wonderful! She got an 8/8. However, I was completely unimpressed with the peri that looked over my results. The nurse took my blood pressure while lying completely upright on my left hand side, and told me that the reading was 114/75. I told her that I hadn't seen a BP like that for at least 1.5 weeks now, and that there was something wrong. She and the peri commenced quizzing me about my BP-taking skills for ten minutes. Maybe my home cuff was too small, maybe I wasn't taking it in a good position, maybe this, and maybe that. I told them that while I did get a funky reading from my home cuff every once in a while, my DH is EMT-qualified and followed up those readings with manual ones, which generally tracked with my cuff, as did the readings at the doc's office. After speaking to my doc on the phone, the peri asked the nurse to retake the BP, on my side, but angled so that my right arm was at approximately the same level as my heart (not several inches above my heart like before.) BP came back 134/86, which I was STILL really happy about. Looks like the doubled medication is beginning to work. In any event, the whole thing frustrated the heck out of me because they made me feel like a hypochondriac. I know there are plenty of women sicker than me, but come on...my doc wouldn't be doing all of this if she didn't think that there might be a problem. To top it all off, I had to wait 2 hours to have my bloodwork drawn again! What a day! And it's back to the doc's office tomorrow, for another office visit....

Paige

EDD originally 8/19/2005
PIH at 31w3d, possibly headed to PE
On Bedrest

rachel a

Postby rachel a » Fri Feb 21, 637349 5:39 pm

Paige,

So goooooddd to see an update. It does seem, that for the time being, you are definitely under control.

Continue to update us and watch for new/worsening symptoms.

Rachel Adamson
Arkansas Coordinator

cassie05

Postby cassie05 » Fri Feb 21, 637349 9:27 am

Thats great that your doc is staying on the ball. I know youve probably heard it a hundred times but please keep an eye out on the syptoms, ok.

cassie is mommy to...
stephen...severe pre-e...delivered at 27+6...1 lb 12 oz
and my sweet little angel Kaitlyn Victoria, passed before her first breath May 22nd, 2005....27 weeks 4days...blood clot, hemorage and rupture in the umbelical cord

denise

Postby denise » Fri Feb 21, 637349 8:43 am

Glad to hear things are rolling along okay. It sounds like your doc is keeping an eye on things, and won't take any chances. Keep an eye on your bp, and for any other PE symptoms.

-------
Denise / Co-coordinator for WI
Jason (DH)
Ariana (DD) May 2003-just shy of 35 weeks: Class 1 HELLP
Trying for Baby #2

http://hometown.aol.com/oneyodafan/DeniseHomePage.htm

paige_va

Postby paige_va » Fri Feb 21, 637349 8:23 am

Just an update on what's going on with me. I just got back from an office visit. They did an NST while I was there, and my doc says that the baby still looks great. Tomorrow I have another BPP, and they're going to redraw my bloodwork again. Then back the doctor's office on Friday. My BPs on the new higher dosage of Aldomet have been hovering in the 130/90 range, and my doc says that she can live with that for the timebeing because, up to this point, my labs still look good. I'm beginning to feel like maybe we have this under control. I know, however, that things can change rapidly and without notice, so I'm trying not to get my hopes up too much that maybe this is under control and I'll be able to coast through the next 4.5 weeks. Overall, though, this has been a good day.

Paige

EDD originally 8/19/2005
On Bedrest

celticepona

Postby celticepona » Thu Jan 30, 637349 3:10 am

It sounds like your doc is on the ball. You are also being very proactive about keeping PE under control. Unfortnately it can progress very quickly no matter what we do to try to control it. I developed PE around 33 weeks, and made it to 37 weeks, and my conditon worsened despite very strict bedrest. Yes, 32 weeks is a good number, and your doc will keep you going as long as they possibly can. Hang in there girl.

DD Emily born 4-01-04 at 37 weeks due to severe PE/Eclampsia. Currently Hypertensive and still on medication.
http://www.babiesonline.com/babies/e/emilyfionaspage/

denise

Postby denise » Wed Jan 29, 637349 2:24 pm

Hang in there Paige. Rachel has addressed alot of your concerns and questions. I just wanted to offer my support too.

-------
Denise Co-coordinator for WI
Jason
Ariana May 2003-just shy of 35 weeks: Class 1 HELLP
http://hometown.aol.com/oneyodafan/DeniseHomePage.htm

rachel a

Postby rachel a » Wed Jan 29, 637349 2:07 pm

Paige,

Don't look at his stress as you being the cause of it all. His stress is thanks to stupid PIH and the complications arising from that. He's worried about you and about his unborn child. The two of you need to be there for each other. Talk about this! My dh still won't talk much about it. I did find a letter that he wrote while I was in the hospital. It was scary. He actually thought that I was going to die and that Dylan wouldn't make it. It's natural for our husbands to feel this way. Your husband is the "rock" of the family and he feels a responsibility to protect you and his child and he knows there is nothing he can do.

Be there for each other!

Your one question...we all ask it. All we can do is be here for you, so know that we are...here for you!

Rachel Adamson
Arkansas Coordinator

paige_va

Postby paige_va » Wed Jan 29, 637349 7:55 am

Thanks for the encouragement. I'm trying to keep a good attitude about the whole thing, but the one question that I want an answer to is the one, of course, that no one can answer, and that is what is going to happen? It seems that everytime my husband and I go to the doc's office, they throw us a curve ball with some kind of new test or medication that we're not expecting. I know it's good that the doctor is on top of this, and I'm really happy about that, but not knowing what's really going on or is going to happen is really disconcerting! I guess we just need to get used to going with the flow. In the meantime, I've never seen my husband like he is right now. He's really stressed, and obviously concerned about the situation. I just wish I could make this whole thing easier on him, and I feel bad that I'm the cause of it all.

Paige

EDD originally 8/19/2005
On Bedrest

Return to “Ask the Experienced”